diy solar

diy solar

Off grid people ill-prepared

You guys still don't get it.
Different culture here, we think totally differently in Oz.

Howard Springs: Australia police arrest quarantine escapees​

• Published
      1 December 2021
Quarantine site workers check a van entering the Howard Springs facility in October 2020
IMAGE SOURCE, GETTY IMAGES
Image caption,
The trio scaled a fence at the Howard Springs quarantine centre near Darwin
Australian police have arrested three people who broke out of a Covid quarantine compound in the middle of the night.
The Howard Springs centre near Darwin in the Northern Territory is one of Australia's main quarantine facilities for people returning to the country.
Police said the trio scaled a fence to break out of the facility.
Officers found them after a manhunt on Wednesday. All had tested negative to Covid the day before.
Officials did not state whether the escapees were returning travellers or locals in quarantine.
In recent days, the centre has also housed people infected from a Covid outbreak in Katherine, a town 300km (185 miles) away.

Police had set up checkpoints around the compound on Wednesday and inspected cars moving through the area.
Last Friday, a 27-year-old man jumped the centre's fences and fled in a waiting car to Darwin's town centre. He was later arrested and tested negative for Covid-19.
Up to 2,000 people can be held at the Howard Springs site. It is an old mining camp that was turned into a quarantine centre by the Australian government last August.
One case of the Omicron variant has been confirmed there - a traveller from South Africa who arrived on 25 November. Omicron cases have also been detected in Sydney.
Australia has delayed reopening its international borders until mid-December, amid concerns about the variant. Early evidence suggests it has a heightened re-infection risk.
The country has also imposed new restrictions blocking travel from nine southern African countries.

Howard Springs: Australia police arrest quarantine escapees​

• Published
      1 December 2021
Wow. Yeah, I'm gonna take a pass on the concentration camp thing.

40 or 50 years ago you never heard of mass shootings here and certainly not school shootings. Guns haven't changed. Society changed. Strict gun laws don't help, especially when you don't follow through with enforcement and punishment. All you have to do is look at Chicago. Banning guns isn't going to be accepted.

There is a clear and present danger to the Republic and it's not from the gun toting citizens. As a meme I saw recently stated, there are 100 million gun owners in the USA, 350 million firearms, trillions of rounds of ammo. If we were the problem, you'd know it.

Ahhhh, this discussion can go off the rails in a heartbeat and rarely if ever changes either side's opinion. But without discussion we don't have many options forward. The danger from active shooters to the average person is greatly exaggerated by the media, and they never cover the situations where an armed citizen foils the bad guy and saves lives. At least not on MSM. So no matter what you believe, I'd advise to take anything you read in the news with a grain of salt.

I've seen at least two people posting in past week who are completely off-grid and losing all power because their non-tier 1 equipment has failed. Even with tier-1 equipment it is good to have a backup plan in place if you are 100% off grid and doubly so when you are using non-tier 1. You are your own utility company now and can't rely on somebody else to get your power back on.

Some suggestions:
1) Make sure you have plan if your main system dies
2) Have documentation on how to diagnose issues and everything well labeled if the technical person who knows the system may not be available. This is generally a good idea no matter what to do even for yourself. Will someone have to measure voltage? Will they know how to use a multimeter? Do they know where it is? What steps do they need to follow to diagnose why there is no power.
3) Have a backup inverter/charge controller/AIO. This may be a smaller version of what you have to at least run critical loads while the main system is down.
4) Verify you have spare fuses for critical components if applicable
5) Backup generator (either solar based or fossil fuel based).
6) Backup PV panels. Some people have extra PV panels stored away in case a storm takes out their currently installed/mounted panels. Minimum number to at least allow critical functionality of your system.

any others suggestions?
I was considering selling my ecoflow delta pro system with smart home panel for my critical loads. With your very informative post, I will keep it since it will be a backup to my now main system, Solark 15k/EG4/Gas generator combination.

Wow. Yeah, I'm gonna take a pass on the concentration camp thing.

40 or 50 years ago you never heard of mass shootings here and certainly not school shootings. Guns haven't changed. Society changed. Strict gun laws don't help, especially when you don't follow through with enforcement and punishment. All you have to do is look at Chicago. Banning guns isn't going to be accepted.

There is a clear and present danger to the Republic and it's not from the gun toting citizens. As a meme I saw recently stated, there are 100 million gun owners in the USA, 350 million firearms, trillions of rounds of ammo. If we were the problem, you'd know it.

Ahhhh, this discussion can go off the rails in a heartbeat and rarely if ever changes either side's opinion. But without discussion we don't have many options forward. The danger from active shooters to the average person is greatly exaggerated by the media, and they never cover the situations where an armed citizen foils the bad guy and saves lives. At least not on MSM. So no matter what you believe, I'd advise to take anything you read in the news with a grain of salt.
USA is something like number three per capita in ranking. But when you remove like five major cities from the statistics, the USA ranking is one of the lowest in the world.

Also…

IMG_0082.png

American media has become the guardian and propaganda tool of an Orwellian, overbearing federal government.
Project M0ckingbird was circa 70 years ago. And now they have modern tools like "social media", ChatGPT et al.

Different culture here, we think totally differently in Oz.
Your country's pandemic response resembled China's. I'm saying this from a place of love and respect, but... you can keep your culture and way of thinking to/for yourselves. I'd offer the same words to any Canadians who want to preach at us about our "gun culture".

Couldn't have said it better myself.

There are two alternatives I've considered..

1) A laser.. Blinding someone attacking your home would put them down fast, and it is practical at up to about a 1/2 mile.
Yea. Those cheap green lasers are a pita to get in your eyes... You can even get rechargeable ones now a days to run of solar..

2) An air gun... Yup.. they make some crazy 22 and 30 caliber air guns these days, you just need to have a compressor to be able to refill the high pressure tank.
Yea I was looking at those PCP rifles a while back, took a lot to not order one.
Wonder if you'd need a LF inverter for the compressor?
At the end of the day, the best solution is just to buy a boat load of ammo.
I'll take accuracy and a pallet load ?

Yea. Those cheap green lasers are a pita to get in your eyes... You can even get rechargeable ones now a days to run of solar..
I think I would be more inclined to use a laser with a wavelength that is outside of human vision range so it doesn't mark your own position to be targeted.
I would have to look into that.. I suspect that being able to collimate lasers at different wavelengths is not a one size fits all proposition. Some wavelengths might be a lot easier than others. Come to think of it, the lower the freq, the easier it is to probably do.

One thing is for sure, I would not want to be swinging around a perfectly visible straight line leading to my position while someone is pointing a weapon at me.

The options would be either a lower power beam outside human visual range, or a pulsed beam that turns on and off so fast it can't be seen anyhow.

Yea I was looking at those PCP rifles a while back, took a lot to not order one.
They're not cheap.. By the time you purchase one of those $1500 to $2000 air guns, you could purchase a $500 AR15 and several thousand rounds of ammo.

Wonder if you'd need a LF inverter for the compressor?
I think that would depend on how fast you want to recharge the tank.

I'll take accuracy and a pallet load ?
Yeah.. We keep about 20,000 rounds of 22lr. I have a tricked out 10/22 with a Pulsar Thermion XP38 thermal scope and a suppressor, and its a silent stealth killing machine.

I had a family of raccoons going after my chickens and took out the entire group.. Those little jerks were actually trying to bend back the sheet metal to get inside the coop.. all 6 of them, all within 30 feet of each other and they had no idea I was dropping them. Now I have 6 huge tomato plants (LOL)

Some suggestions:
1) Make sure you have plan if your main system dies
2) Have documentation on how to diagnose issues and everything well labeled if the technical person who knows the system may not be available. This is generally a good idea no matter what to do even for yourself. Will someone have to measure voltage? Will they know how to use a multimeter? Do they know where it is? What steps do they need to follow to diagnose why there is no power.
3) Have a backup inverter/charge controller/AIO. This may be a smaller version of what you have to at least run critical loads while the main system is down.
4) Verify you have spare fuses for critical components if applicable
5) Backup generator (either solar based or fossil fuel based).
6) Backup PV panels. Some people have extra PV panels stored away in case a storm takes out their currently installed/mounted panels. Minimum number to at least allow critical functionality of your system.
So now that I'm finishing up my initial install, have my batteries all setup, and the inverters/pv dialed in like I want, this list is looking to be my next step.

1) I am going to implement a LF 6kW SunGold inverter on a transfer switch as a backup, hooked into the same battery bank.
2) I am going to get out my label maker and start labeling places to look for, names of specific components, and their specifications if a replacement is to be implemented/inspected. Very good idea.
3) See 1.
4) Ordering a spare Class-T fuse now... its been on my list, this will get me to get off my butt.
5) I do have several smaller Solar Generators that are kept charged and ready to use.
6) I have 12x 250w panels on the side of the house, as well as 4x 440w, and 5x 390w panels. Should be good to go there.

Thanks for the list!

I think I would be more inclined to use a laser with a wavelength that is outside of human vision range so it doesn't mark your own position to be targeted.
I would have to look into that.. I suspect that being able to collimate lasers at different wavelengths is not a one size fits all proposition. Some wavelengths might be a lot easier than others. Come to think of it, the lower the freq, the easier it is to probably do.

One thing is for sure, I would not want to be swinging around a perfectly visible straight line leading to my position while someone is pointing a weapon at me.

The options would be either a lower power beam outside human visual range, or a pulsed beam that turns on and off so fast it can't be seen anyhow.
The military version of this: https://anvsinc.com/product/eotech-atpial-an-peq-15-aiming-laser/
I doubt they will ever turn up at a DRMO sale, but stranger things have happened.

I'm pretty sure you can buy those quite easily at regular gun websites. Or something very similar.

They're made for use with night vision goggles.. They are an aiming device, not designed to blind someone from a 1/2 mile away.
I am familiar as to their intended use. I had one mounted on my M4 in 2003.

They aren’t really an aiming device for the individual weapon they are mounted on. Not everyone gets one…generally squad leaders and above for CAV Scout/MP units. Might be fewer in infantry units, IDK.

They are used to paint a target to direct crew served weapons and aviation support. And the military versions are stronger than what’s available for civilian purchase.

A solar flare is not a threat to anything NOT connected to the wider power distribution grid. In fact, unless your off-grid home's electrical wiring, solar system, or a sub panel feed to the barn, have runs of wire several hundreds or thousands of feet long, they also are not susceptible to the effects of a solar flare / CME.

Solar storms (coronal mass ejections), induce electrical currents into our grid through an indirect mechanism.. When the solar particles slam into our planet's magnetic field, it causes the field surrounding our planet to compress on the day side and extend on the night side.. When the particles pass, the magnetic field springs back into place.
The reason it causes problems for the grid is because the grid is basically a bunch of really REALLY long wires extended across the surface. And you know what a magnetic field does when it moves across a conductor right?

This is why small solar storms, or storms that only hit us with a glancing blow, tend to do little damage.. Its because they only affect the magnetic field in a localized area and they don't move it around much. When a larger storm hits and moves the entire field, then everyone gets hit.

Nuclear EMP is a very different animal and has about as much in common with a solar storm EMP as sharks have with dogs. With a nuclear EMP, it doesn't matter if your electronics are connected or not, if they are not shielded, they can be damaged. Unfortunately, going underground 10 or 20 feet does little to nothing to attenuate that affect unless your soil is basically composed of metal ore. The good news is that it is easy to build a Faraday cage and a highly effective one can be made out of common grocery store aluminum foil.

Nuclear weapons themselves do not produce any significant EMP. What happens is that when the weapon is detonated, the gamma rays being emitted will slam into our atmosphere's gasses.. These gamma rays, through a process called "Compton Scattering" have enough energy to knock electrons loose from their atomic nucleus.. and electrons don't like to just hang around freely.. The first thing these free electrons do is latch on to one of our planets magnetic field lines and spiral down to the ground, where they cause all kinds of currents to be induced into every conductive surface they find. Doesn't matter if its a thousand mile long electrical transmission line, or a tiny circuit board.. The can induce up to and exceeding 50,000 volts per meter of conductive surface. 200,000 if the weapon was designed for the purpose.

It is not practical in most locations, to bury a shipping container. By the time you get done with the money and effort to reinforce it, it would be cheaper to just start from scratch and do it right.

Interesting I figured a high level solar flare was much harder to protect against and that a simple faraday cage was not enough. And yeah I lumped EMP all together, as it's a sorta similar type of threat in the sense that it's sending tons of energy out that can damage electronics. A solar flare is probably a more likely scenario though so if it's that easy to protect against probably worth focusing on. An EMP is bad news no matter what because if there was a nearby nuclear strike it means you have more than just damaged electronics to worry about. I suppose it's possible to generate an EMP without using nuclear weapons though but I imagine if we got to a point where there is some kind of war where people are doing this it's a much worse situation all around.

USA is something like number three per capita in ranking. But when you remove like five major cities from the statistics, the USA ranking is one of the lowest in the world.

Also…

View attachment 155887
And notice Australia is so low, its not even listed.

As far as concentration camps go, yes we have several pretty big ones, just about all full with illegal immigrants.
The illegals don't stand much of a chance here of not being caught and placed into custody.
They can get a free trip home any time they want by just asking, but most do not want to go back because they are known wanted criminals in their own country.

There are now something like 800 FEMA camps in the US, we have nothing like that over here.

You might like to compare the size of the prison population in the US compared to the prison population in Australia.
Guns have certainly not kept you free.

The pandemic response is interesting.
Here in Melbourne it was about the worst in the world.
We were very nearly the first to go into lockdown, and it was BRUTAL.
It is also interesting that as public protests grew, the police started firing rubber bullets into crowds.

The Police themselves eventually sided with the public against the Government and later on REFUSED to take any action.
There were huge peaceful protests in every city, hundreds of thousands of people, and zero police presence.
It was the biggest thing since the Vietnam War peace protests.
Eventually the Government completely caved against "people power".
And we did it all without using guns or rioting.
That was only possible because the police after due consideration, were totally on the side of the public.
That was all ranks, the police union, right up to the most senior police.
They told the politicians to get stuffed.
And that was the end of the whole thing.

Last edited:
I respect that off-grid and preparedness go hand-in-hand.

I don't respect that we can't avoid political bullshit.

Any chance we can stay on topic?
Now how often have you seen this crowd stay on topic? :ROFLMAO:

It's not always political or controversial. Sometimes the topic just morphs. Talking about one brand morphs into discussion of another. But even when it goes political I think most of us try to keep it civil, and as long as it stays civil, discussion is not a bad thing.

Dang. What was this topic again? Oh yeah, off grid and unprepared. I approve of the former but not so much the latter.

;)

Interesting I figured a high level solar flare was much harder to protect against and that a simple faraday cage was not enough. And yeah I lumped EMP all together, as it's a sorta similar type of threat in the sense that it's sending tons of energy out that can damage electronics. A solar flare is probably a more likely scenario though so if it's that easy to protect against probably worth focusing on. An EMP is bad news no matter what because if there was a nearby nuclear strike it means you have more than just damaged electronics to worry about. I suppose it's possible to generate an EMP without using nuclear weapons though but I imagine if we got to a point where there is some kind of war where people are doing this it's a much worse situation all around.
A solar flare / CME is not just "a more likely scenario", it is a near 100% probability.. the only question is whether it will happen in your lifetime or not..
It is estimated that a big one hits Earth every 100 to 150 years. The last big one was the Carrington Event back in 1859(?). It set telephone (telegraph) poles on fire and was estimated to be greater than X25 with many thinking it to be in the X40 range.. (X class flares are the largest).

Solar flares are rated as A (Smallest) C M and X (Largest). We get C and M flares hitting us all the time.. like on a weekly basis when the sun is active.. The effects are mostly limited to minor satellite disruptions and localized radio blackouts within certain frequencies. Then, every once an a while, the sun burps out an X class flare.. usually X1, X2, etc, and they are usually not pointed in our direction. We just had one last week.. X1.something and we only caught the outside edge of it. No big deal.

In 2012, a big one happened.. A solar flare with a Carrington level CME was spit out.. It missed Earth by just 9 days.. Had it happened 9 days earlier, you and I wouldn't be having this conversation right now.. We'd both probably be dead from starvation or violence or something. (I wasn't a prepper back then).
The 2012 CME missed us by 9 days, but it did hit one of our satellites.. The satellite was called Stereo-A, and it was specifically designed to study solar flares.. The CME that hit it completely saturated its sensors beyond its design limits.

Solar flares and CME (coronal mass ejection) are two different things, but they are normally associated with each other when the solar flares are large enough. A small flare might not produce any significant CME, and generally speaking (very generally), large flares all produce CME's. The 2012 flare was only an X2.5, but the CME it produced was astonishing by any standard. It would have wiped out the grid for more than a decade.

There is no current technology that allows us to produce an EMP on anything but a very localized scale. There are EMP weapons, but they are sort of focused energy weapon.. Their range is extremely limited.. Like, you'd have to fly really low with a cargo plane to target even a single building, and even then you need some luck. We also have larger EMP ground based generators, but they require huge capacitor banks and power supplies and they are still limited to a localized area of a few hundred yards.

The only reason nuclear weapons do such a good job of it is because of the gamma radiation they spew out.. and the fact that they use Earth's own atmosphere and magnetic field to amplify the effect by about a billion times over. Its a bit like dislodging a car sized boulder from the top of a hill to crush a house.. Its not YOUR power that did that, it was gravity and a mass of rock that was already there, you just gave it a push.

The best thing you can do to protect yourself from a nuclear emp is to put spares of everything important in a Faraday cage.. and pack away some food and weapons.

Protecting yourself from a Solar CME is fairly easy.. Install a whole house surge protector and teach everyone in the house how to turn off the main breaker and branch breakers in the panel. Then, if you want an early warning, sign up for SpaceWeather.com alerts.. If a big flare erupts, you'll get a text message. And pack away some food and weapons..

Nuclear war will probably never happen.. even crazy dictators aren't that stupid or suicidal.. at least I don't think they are. A giant solar storm absolutely will happen eventually..

I was in Bosnia in 92/93. Guns didn’t solve anything there except seeing my teammate’s arm ripped off by a sniper and seeing little girls raped by armed gangs in the name of “armies”. The strongest weapons is the strong rule of law, civic institutions, and you own respect and care for your fellow citizens, even if you don’t like the.

A giant solar storm absolutely will happen eventually..
i am prepared for a lot of things but that is one I am not prepared for and not going to worry about. I grew up with drills in grammar school about nuclear bombs and 70 years later i am still here. Some of my grammar school friends have since died so I am counting my blessings..

Back