diy solar

diy solar

OFF GRID PERMIT?

I think they should simultaneously open up what types of firearms you can own, but simply have more stringent requirements in proportion for the potential danger of the weapon to the public,

So after the Iraq war, the 2008 financial crises, Covid, and now Ukraine (never mind the scandal in the white house) you trust the government who is run by people who don’t have the first clue about firearms or crime statistics to administer laws effectively and fairly? When by its very description your ‘proportion for the potential danger’ implies the inanimate device not the human is responsible for its level of ‘danger’ and that’s the basis of the effective freedom you desire? The government is able to tell citizens how to effectively control ‘potential’ gun violence? Just like they control potential rapists or potential felony drunk driving?

This is totally off topic for sure and not something we should discuss here at all. But dang - I wish for the world’s sake that “more stringent requirements” would stop criminal actors from committing crimes. Obeying the law is voluntary. If one is disinclined to follow the law and societal moral codes a bad actor isn’t going to say to himself, “oh! A new law! I guess I won’t kill anyone today!”

I don’t want to get in any trouble here but this subject concerns me. More laws don’t stop criminals, nutcases, political bad actors (nor those that emotionally/cognitively should not have access to many, many things including firearms).
In every aspect of our lives abdication of reason can lead us into false security, and substituting informed safety with government oversight is mentally, willfully “checking out” and deluding ourselves that the government will act in our best interests. They won’t. They’ll merely act to keep their seat on their own personal gravy train.

yes California is expensive in many ways. However, I do like that my house appreciates 50 to 100k almost every year, good news for my heirs anyway. I have only had experience with 200 watt panels, and they are light. If you are talking about 350w or bigger panels would the weight per foot be significantly greater?
That kind of Appreciation is not sustainable.

I wonder how much money you will be giving the electric company over the next year. Investing in your own energy production seems like a better idea, but that's just me.
And the answer is $3,124. fortunately I have two renters that pay that much every month.

I would suggest that turning the miner on/off, or preferably throttling its performance to serve as a variable dump load, would be a better alternative to battery storage.
I too am a crypto miner, and turning them on/off will significantly hurt profitability (depending on what pool you are mining to etc), and they might consider you "pool hopping" where they think you are jumping around to several different pools for max profitability. If they think you are pool hopping, then they significantly cut back your payout.

I originally got into mining specifically for what you said, a load dump. But now it has turned into a crippling addiction... lmao

I too am a crypto miner, and turning them on/off will significantly hurt profitability (depending on what pool you are mining to etc), and they might consider you "pool hopping" where they think you are jumping around to several different pools for max profitability. If they think you are pool hopping, then they significantly cut back your payout.

I originally got into mining specifically for what you said, a load dump. But now it has turned into a crippling addiction... lmao
I had 10 Butterfly 60gh miners mining bitcoin back in 2010.

I saw the writing on the wall then.
Either sell all the miners and cash in bitcoins to buy bigger faster miners or get out.

The difficulty was rising exponentially.

I sold all the miners in December 2010.

I played around with them for a while and decided to just cash out @ $347 or something like that.

Sent all 52 of my Bitcoins to MT GOX to exchange for $$$ literally 3 days before they ceased operations.

I am still trying to recover those bitcoins.

I have a case file number. All the hoops and crap we have had to jump through has been prolific but if I can get what was maybe $20,000 worth of bitcoin then to almost $2,000,000 today then I’m gonna keep trying.

Been fighting them since 2014.

Claim # Z2-2050xx

I just X out the last 2 # for privacy.

My experience, building and code enforcement will tell exactly what you need to be legal. It would likely be the roof mount that needs permits.
Pitfalls? You may have to remove everything.
My panels are mounted on tilt brackets. Those panels sit on my flat roof. They are held down with concrete blocks(ballast). These are not permanently mounted to the roof. I can move the blocks, unplug the PV connectors, and move, and carry the panels off of the roof at any time. My system is not grid-tied. It powers my appliances with extension cords. As I read it, 'The installation of temporary wiring for testing or experimental purposes within suitable facilities. Portable generators, portable motors, appliances, tools, power outlets, and other portable equipment, connected by means of a cord or cable having an attachment plug. Exempt from permitting.'

I had 10 Butterfly 60gh miners mining bitcoin back in 2010.

I saw the writing on the wall then.
Either sell all the miners and cash in bitcoins to buy bigger faster miners or get out.

The difficulty was rising exponentially.

I sold all the miners in December 2010.

I played around with them for a while and decided to just cash out @ $347 or something like that.

Sent all 52 of my Bitcoins to MT GOX to exchange for $$$ literally 3 days before they ceased operations.

I am still trying to recover those bitcoins.

I have a case file number. All the hoops and crap we have had to jump through has been prolific but if I can get what was maybe $20,000 worth of bitcoin then to almost $2,000,000 today then I’m gonna keep trying.

Been fighting them since 2014.

Claim # Z2-2050xx

I just X out the last 2 # for privacy.
just curious, how much would it be worth now?

I hear it all too many times, of people getting out and then a few years later kicking themselves because they could've been making a nice living.

Portable generators, portable motors, appliances, tools, power outlets, and other portable equipment, connected by means of a cord or cable having an attachment plug. Exempt from permitting.'
That may be the case. However in the case of generating equipment I believe it has to be on a dedicated circuit with its own over current protection. If you have such a circuit then probably no permit needed but if you have to add a circuit then maybe a permit might be needed. It could be wired like a generator inlet with an interlock and I presume the Inspector does not have to see the " generator".

“Temporary Wiring” used as a means permanent wiring is against code regardless.

“The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.” Amendment IV, U.S. Constitution, ratified 12/15/1791.

Now me doing solar on boats, U.S. Courts over the last 200 years have consistently validated the right of the Coast Guard to board and inspect vessels, probable cause or not.

Big difference though, coast guard guys n gals are cool check come aboard out my awesome boat what ever, but those wanabe self inflated city hall types no thanks, not coming in my house. They can take a hike.

“The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.” Amendment IV, U.S. Constitution, ratified 12/15/1791.

Now me doing solar on boats, U.S. Courts over the last 200 years have consistently validated the right of the Coast Guard to board and inspect vessels, probable cause or not.

Big difference though, coast guard guys n gals are cool check out my awesome boat what ever, but those omnipotent self inflated city hall types no thanks, not coming in my house. They can take a hike.
Yeah but if they see solar panels in your backyard, isn't that probable cause? They're coming in whether you like it or not.

Yeah but if they see solar panels in your backyard, isn't that probable cause? They're coming in whether you like it or not.

Would make for a good YouTube video. Swat team invades mans yard over a solar panel in back yard. Be a total embarrassment.

But things can go bad, they have no souls.

The case started in May 2018 when Jim Ficken left his home in Dunedin, a Tampa suburb, to go to South Carolina to work on settling his late mother’s affairs. While Jim was out of town, the man he paid to cut his lawn unexpectedly died. Jim’s lawn soon grew longer than the ten inches allowed by the city and the city immediately began fining Jim without notice, having classified him as a “repeat offender” because of a previous warning he received in 2015.

Jim finally found out he was being fined by sheer happenstance, when a code inspector making near-daily visits to track his fines told him he would be getting “a big bill.” Jim then immediately cut the grass, figuring he would be fined no more than a few hundred dollars. Eventually, the city sent Jim a bill for nearly $29,000. When Jim protested that he didn’t have the savings to pay the fine, the city gave him 15 days to pay. Otherwise the city was going to get its money another way: by foreclosing on his home.

Probable cause for what? Building code violations do not give them the probable cause to search your home. I have a permitted GT installation on my home. Subsequently, I added a few more panels which were installed according to the code but without another permit. I can understand if they want to give me a notice and tell me to pull another permit. Worse case I will get a notice to comply.

That system does send energy back to the grid so there is no way that PG&E needs to be involved. I understand that there is a grey area and that NEM agreement probably defined my faculty in such a way that I may be in default of of a contractual arrangement but there s not grounds for a search warrant.vi have studied to code and assessed the risk and the risk is manageable.

Last edited:
The case started in May 2018 when Jim Ficken left his home in Dunedin, a Tampa suburb, to go to South Carolina to work on settling his late mother’s affairs........
There will always be those cases but with a drought the real risk today is going to be watering our lawn too often.

Would make for a good YouTube video. Swat team invades mans yard over a solar panel in back yard. Be a total embarrassment.

But things can go bad, they have no souls.

The case started in May 2018 when Jim Ficken left his home in Dunedin, a Tampa suburb, to go to South Carolina to work on settling his late mother’s affairs. While Jim was out of town, the man he paid to cut his lawn unexpectedly died. Jim’s lawn soon grew longer than the ten inches allowed by the city and the city immediately began fining Jim without notice, having classified him as a “repeat offender” because of a previous warning he received in 2015.

Jim finally found out he was being fined by sheer happenstance, when a code inspector making near-daily visits to track his fines told him he would be getting “a big bill.” Jim then immediately cut the grass, figuring he would be fined no more than a few hundred dollars. Eventually, the city sent Jim a bill for nearly $29,000. When Jim protested that he didn’t have the savings to pay the fine, the city gave him 15 days to pay. Otherwise the city was going to get its money another way: by foreclosing on his home.
Jim didn't happen to be black, did he?

I lived over in VT near the Northeast Kingdom for awhile, one of the towns in the Kingdom, Victory VT did not have grid power until the 1960's and there are a lot of off gridders and formerly off gridders in the area. I also was working for a firm that was founded by off gridders and specialized at one point in selling off grid power stations. In talking off grid with off gridders and former off gridders a common subject was fire and electrical shorts. In many cases there would be the qualifier "after the fire" or "after toasting some equipment" came up. Lots of folks had had major fires or smoked equipment and on occasion folks would get zapped by "sticking it to the man" by ignoring the electrical code. The electrical code is fundamentally a safety standard based on the best case operating practices to keep people and structure safe. Unless someone is an electrician and up to date on the Code (most have to put in 40 hours every two years to keep their license active as the code changes) they most likely are installing a less than safe system.

If you want to skip the permit, feel free but skipping a code complaint installation is a different story. Odds are you are not the one that gets bitten, usually its a spouse, kid or some poor sap that gets called in to figure out the mess when you are out of the picture. I see requests all the time for someone to come straighten out an off grid home brew system and most pros will go nowhere near them as no doubt its an unsafe installation. At best they end up yanking all the gear out and putting in new system as they do not have the option of not making it safe.

Back