diy solar

diy solar

Off grid system build.

Ron Burks

I could use some help and advice if anyone in these forums wouldn’t mind helping me design and build my off grid system. At the moment I have 6 250watt 24 volt Renogy panels with a 60 amp charge controller and inverter. I’m building a battery bank out out off 26650 lifepo4 cells testing at 3.3 ah. I can buy other equipment as needed I already want to add another 60 amp charge controller so I can add two battery banks each with decent power. I’ve been going through my batteries testing them to weed out the bad and match up the volts and resistance. I’m trying to figure out the best way to go about building my battery banks. The bank I’m working on now is a 24 volt system. I made a couple 4s10p battery packs with a 30 amp Daly Bms with balancing. The batteries work great and have plenty of power considering there only 12 volt batteries. I’m almost to the point to start building my actual permanent battery bank. I’m not sure what’s the best route to go. I thought about building a bunch of 4s10p packs with 30amp Bms on each pack and adding two together to give me my 24volt. The other way is to make 8 3.2volt packs with anywhere from 80 to 200 in parallel to give me a nice 24 volt battery bank. I’m just not sure on the best way to go about it. Was also thinking when I add another 60 amp charge controller making it a 36volt or 48 volt battery bank. I’m trying to get the best bang for the price I can. This is my first time building a set up like this all my others are grid tie systems but they don’t do me any good when the power is out. If anyone can take me under there wing and help me out with this build I would be very appreciative. I want to do this correctly and I realize it’s probably in my best interest to ask others that have done this before or several times. Thanks for reading my gibberish.

Yes I have a question. I have a question about how I should go about building my battery bank. Im taking it I did something wrong, maybe I’m in the wrong group or something. I’m just wanting to build a decent power wall or two and was hoping I could some guidance. It seems that I am supposed to go through and find my answers from other posts. I guess I miss understood this group. I’m not trying to be rude or a butt head here. This is my first build and I am dealing with a project that can burn my house down shock the snot out of me and this group what’s me to go through and find similar questions to find my answers. I guess I’ll just chalk this group up as a loss to me. Sorry I won’t ask for anymore help or advice.

Without a specific question I will have to give a generic answer.

Define your requirements and build a battery to meet them.

Questions to answer...
How much instantaneous discharge current(measured in amps) do you require?
How much continuous discharge current do you require(measured in amps)?
How much continuous charge current do you require(measured in amps)?
How much capacity(measured in watt hours) do you require?

Last edited:
I don’t require any set amount. I’m building this system because of the way the economy is going and WW3 on the horizon. Believe it or not one can build a decent set up with out answering stupid questions to make someone else feel smart and special. I want the most I can get out of my build. I see why people get aggravated with these builds. Everyone that builds a battery bank doesn’t have to have a set goal. I want as much as I can get and then I’ll start building number 2. I think some of you are to busy trying to look smart that you forget about the fact that it can be simple.
My mistake.
I should not have tried to help you after the way you responded to @mopat .

Last edited:
My mistake.
I should not have tried to help you after the way you responded to @mopat .
Lol it’s no biggie. Sometimes people can over think things and take something simple and make it difficult. I use the Kiss method on everything anymore. They way you asked your questions where a lot better and made more since than the other questions. I understand where your coming from and yes I could go through everything in the house and find out how many amps, continuous draw, start up and so on uses and it wouldn’t be a bad idea. If you don’t want to help that’s on you I’ll be just fine. My main question was about the way I should go about building my battery bank. I want and need more than one battery bank so I’ll just buils each one different and see witch one performs better. As far as what I said about regurgitated info it is very true, look on any forum and you’ll see that over and over. If someone is building a bank to run a couple fridges and 3 deep freezers then yes that info can be helpful. With what is going on in our country and WW3 getting ready to kickoff it’s not hard to realize that your going to want it for multiple reasons and it doesn’t need to be over thought.

Back