diy solar

diy solar

Off-road trailer

veteran_overlanding

Good afternoon,

I’m new to the group. I’m building a small off-road trailer. Working on solar charging. What do yo all recommend? The largest thing I’ll be powering is a 12V Dometic 75L dual zone fridge. Other items will be a max fan, lights, will need 1-2 outlets and some USB/USBC plugs. Was thinking about a 12V system. But after several of Will’s videos, I’m leaning towards a 48V system. Recommendations?

Mostly preference but system voltage should be based on usage. Sounds like your needs are minimal. For mobile applications, personally id stick with 12v and maybe a 2000w inverter (max). This leaves you with the most charging and battery options too.

Now if you have dreams of air conditioning and electric cooktops.... you might want 48v.

Most trailers dont have alot of space for panels, so your limit will always be PV watts. Start with maxing out your rooftop with solar and see what you can fit. If you end up fitting more than 1000w of solar, you'll want to go up in voltage for charge controller sake.

As this is a new build, you might also consider two systems at once:

1. 24v system: all large equipment fed by 120v wiring from inverter (aio system, or victron)
2. 12v system: no inverter, run directly from battery/distribution-box

First system runs all large equipment, and 24v gives you oomph for fridges, microwaves, etc. Whatever you can fit in the trailer, or use externally (wire an external power receptable). Would eventually support small air-conditioner, fans, etc. Simple battery-bank of two 12v300ah LiFePO4 batteries. You can also consider 48v here, at more cost, weight, space, etc., but I think 24v will see to your needs for the future (in a trailer), and the wiring just isn't that long (although use beefy wiring just once). Allows any simple 120v electrical devices, usually far cheaper than 12v devices.

Second system runs all LED lighting, and any small 12v devices you can think of now or in future. No inverter or other equipment needed; as this is a trailer, charge when you get home, or for long trips, throw out a portable panel when convenient. At the same time you are running 120v AC wiring, throw in the 12v low-voltage wiring. Gives you fallback lighting, in the event the 24v/48v gear breaks down while out off-road ... remember, all that bouncing around will take its toll. There are many nifty 12v devices, and many folks run stuff directly off 12v battery.

If you do a careful audit of "future device needs", perhaps the whole thing can be 12v from the start ... but sooner or later, someone pops up with a large device that needs 24v system power. Thus, dual system from the start ...

Hope this helps ...

Last edited:
Good afternoon,

I’m new to the group. I’m building a small off-road trailer. Working on solar charging. What do yo all recommend? The largest thing I’ll be powering is a 12V Dometic 75L dual zone fridge. Other items will be a max fan, lights, will need 1-2 outlets and some USB/USBC plugs. Was thinking about a 12V system. But after several of Will’s videos, I’m leaning towards a 48V system. Recommendations?
I would personally stick with a 12 volt system in a small trailer with what you have listed. There will be times that you will want to park in the shade so solar could be limited. I would suggest a DC to DC charger for these times and perhaps solar and increased battery storage set up on your tow vehicle. More info would be needed to advise more.

Back