diy solar

diy solar

Opening up a battery to upgrade BMS

Aphers

I've got a Sterling Power 60Ah 'drop in' battery. It's usefulness is limited because the inbuilt BMS doesn't have Bluetooth.

I also have a spare 120A JBD, as I just upgraded another battery which I built from cells.

What are the chances that I could open up the Sterling and swap out the BMS? I don't want to risk damaging the case just to see what's inside.

I have a hard time seeing the added BT worth the trouble of opening a sealed battery.
Just put it to work.

I have a hard time seeing the added BT worth the trouble of opening a sealed battery.
Just put it to work.

I agree.

But, with my personality, I probably couldn’t help myself from doing what you’re asking. If I did it, I’d know before hand what settings for individual cell voltages, max voltage, max amperage. The max amperage is what concerns me the most, but that ought to be in the battery spec sheet.

I’d also know there’s a chance I’d need to rebuild the pack once I’m done Into a new case, or even less likely this end up in the recycle bin.

Would this be a rationale decision? No of course not, but I’d get so much enjoyment out of the learning, how could one resist?

For a bit more background, I use this battery with a trolling motor. Not knowing what state of charge it's at is a real practical downside.

How about leaving the battery in the case and mount a shunt monitor on it. I put the shunt and ANL fuse on a piece of 1/16" phenolic board and used tape to secure it to the top of the battery. Doesn't give anything on the battery internals, but keeping track of the current in and out of it gives you a pretty good SOC.

How about leaving the battery in the case and mount a shunt monitor on it. I put the shunt and ANL fuse on a piece of 1/16" phenolic board and used tape to secure it to the top of the battery. Doesn't give anything on the battery internals, but keeping track of the current in and out of it gives you a pretty good SOC.
Yes I'm tempted to do something like that, the problem is how to make it robust and weatherproof for a portable battery used on a small boat.

Back