diy solar

diy solar

Output Terminal too narrow for Midnite solar classic 200

Cuteajax

I am trying to setup my Midnite solar classic 200 charge controller. I want it to output 75 amps to charge my battery (my battery bank is big and my brand can handle faster charging). I however discover that the output terminal can only accept a maximum of 16mm2 wire (5AWG) which theoretical has a current carrying capacity of only 60 amps. How do I install the thicker wire (at least a 25mm2)?

A possible solution to get you out of a jam - make a VERY SHORT jumper with your 5AWG limit. Like no more than a few inches and connect the rest to that.

Inspect under load with your handheld IR pointing thermometer you got from the home improvement store. Seriously.

My ampacity chart says #6 is good to at least 100 amps with 105c insulation and not bundled with other wire in conduit.

Use the max wire for the connector and you will be fine. If the controller needed larger wire the connector would be larger to match.

I use a Classic-200 Wired per Midnite Specs with #6 AWG (Stranded) for the output, and I do see full output. Wired to a 250A E-Panel. Diagrams & Photo's of my setup are in my "About my System" page link in my signature, also there is a link to Midnite Solar Settings for LFP as well at the bottom of my Sig. Those Blue Terminals can take #4-#14 gauge wire but even 6g wire is not easy to get in there, tight space to work in.

I have two Midnight 200 controllers, and I'm using 4 gauge copper for both of them. One important point is the voltage your system runs at. The Midnight has different MAX amperages based on the system voltage. So, with a 24V system you are limited to 70A anyway. My 48V system gets limited at 65A. I've actually seen my system max out on days when I'm pumping water, and performing construction at the same time. So, 4 gauge at the lowest temperature rating should work for you.

1621102973479.png

Back