diy solar

diy solar

Overland setup. Battery charger help

GottSolar

Hello everyone.

In my overland build, a Toyota Hilux, I currently have the following.

Renogy dcdc 50 amp charger with x2 100w solar panels on the roof rack.

Using the renogy smart 100ah battery too.

I also have a renogy 1000w inverter that I use for charging my camera, drone and power tool batteries

I have a shore power setup, that’s basically a rcd consumer unit with a single gang socket. The ups connection from the renogy inverter is plugged into the single gang socket.

This allows me to save battery power when connected to shore when I use the inverter.

Everything works great.

My next step in the build is to install a ac battery charger into the mix to allow shore power to not only power the inverter but to also charge my leisure battery.

My question is. Can I damage the leisure battery if I have solar and the new ac battery charger running simultaneously.

What if I had the engine running too.

That would be three inputs (dcdc charger and solar and ac batt charger) all charging the 100ah battery.

This is where my electrical knowledge is hazy. Would that be too many amps hitting that battery? Would it over charge it. Or would the battery management’s system control the injection of power?

This must be possible as I see lots of setups like this online. I just need to make it make sense in my mind first.

Thanks so much for any advice.

Maximum continious charge current for your battery is 50 amps according to Renogy data. Assuming the dc to dc is the Renogy DCC50 with MPPT solar, the output of this unit is 25 amps each limit for engine and solar together, and 50 amps for engine alone. 200 watts of solar will have a maximum of around 15 amps.
An AC charger of 10, 15 or 20 amps should not be a problem with solar only. Running the engine whilst the battery is connected to an AC supply charger would exceed the 50 amp limit, assuming no load on the battery.
Note any significant load on the inverter will reduce the current Into the battery when under charge.

Mike

Back