diy solar

diy solar

Panel Cleaning!!

clayswen

Anyone use somthing like this to clean panels on their roof? Curious is the rubber on the squeegee could harm them some how? Thought about spraying them with water from ground level and then dipping the scrub pad in some soapy water and scrubbing them. Then rinse them off and squeegee them. Hell may not even need the squeegee part.

My panels are ground mount and I use a fairly simply Auto sponge squeegee (it telescopes for a little more reach). I also have a telescoping soft bristle brush (another Auto type) for heavier duty washing. I just used it this morning dry to brush off the last couple of days of tree pollen.

To protect panels I do not wash them when they have been out in the sun and are hot. I use either a small amount of liquid detergent (Dawn) or a Window cleaning concentrate in the scrub bucket of water.

My panels are ground mount and I use a fairly simply Auto sponge squeegee (it telescopes for a little more reach). I also have a telescoping soft bristle brush (another Auto type) for heavier duty washing. I just used it this morning dry to brush off the last couple of days of tree pollen.

To protect panels I do not wash them when they have been out in the sun and are hot. I use either a small amount of liquid detergent (Dawn) or a Window cleaning concentrate in the scrub bucket of water.
How often do you clean your panels? Do you clean them when you notice production is down?

I clean mine when I notice they look like they need it. More often in Spring time since pollen and bird droppings is a more frequent occurrence. Sometimes light rain that leaves dust spots also forces a cleaning. In Fall the bigger problem is leaves that sometimes stick to the panels and need knocking off.

I personally don’t care but I have family members that do. We use one of these extension things and just hose it down.

It’s just going to get pollen and poop on it again in a week so I don’t know that it’s worth soap. Depends on your local climate.

You’re going to need a pretty good data analysis pipeline to detect loss without gaslighting yourself. I think the main unambiguous loss from debris would be leaves and snow.

My camper's panels seem to get dirty pretty fast, maybe because they're mounted flat on the roof.
When the camper is home and not in inside storage, I'm up there a few days each week, usually in the morning when there's dew on the panels, with a wet towel and a dry towel.

Anyone use somthing like this to clean panels on their roof? Curious is the rubber on the squeegee could harm them some how? Thought about spraying them with water from ground level and then dipping the scrub pad in some soapy water and scrubbing them. Then rinse them off and squeegee them. Hell may not even need the squeegee part.

Just cleaned mine yesterday with a simple brush sponge contraption.

Bucket of dawn and water.

I use an extendable gutter clean out sprayer on my trailer panels.

The panels for the grid tie system on the roof of the house are at 30° and the rain keeps them pretty good. When we have a decent snow and the melting process causes large sheets of snow to slide off, that seems to scour them to a very clean condition. The ones on the porch roof are at 17° and nothing cleans them. I really need to get up there and do something, their production is noticeably lower

Mine are on the roof of my shop behind my house. They are only at 15 degrees. I was wanting to get in a routine of cleaning them off at least once per month. Just didn't know how much a layer of dust on them will decrease production.

Not much. Here the dust is around max. 5-10% less production.
I let the local rain flush mine off, ca. 30 degrees roof mounted.
If you have big amounts of calc in your water, do not use a hose.
There will be calcium spots when they dry.
Aka better with natural rain - no calc.

Mostly thick pollen at this point. Bird crap and some dirt.
Made a difference in mine..

I've wet cleaned mine three times. Camper brush, squeegee, just a damp towel. I have been unable to ascertain a significant improvement in output. YMMV. The last time they were seriously dusty, the damp towel (On the end of the camper brush/pole) seemed to work the fastest and easiest. They get dusty again in a day anyway, water is too hard here to hose them off.

Cleaning solar panels is a crucial maintenance procedure that keeps them operating at their best for as long as possible. The accumulation of dust, dirt, pollen, bird droppings, and other environmental material on the surface of solar panels may reduce their efficiency in converting sunlight into electrical power over time.

Frequent cleaning aids in removing these impediments, enabling the panels to absorb the most sunlight and produce more energy. You can increase electricity production, boost energy efficiency, and safeguard your long-term investment in clean, renewable energy with panel cleaning.

Last year I collected the condensate from my mini split into a 55 gallon plastic barrel. I feed water from the bottom into a small electric Ryobi pressure washer. Gravity feed works on some of the smaller units FYI. I used it to wash off the panels. I was careful to not point the high pressure stream close to the edges where water could be force in. Worked really well. No water spots since it was distilled water. Not going to work easily with roof mount but for panels lower to the ground, a gentle pressure wash is nice and easy.

Back