diy solar

diy solar

Panel Mount HELP !!

ghostwriter66

"Here - Hold my Beer"
EE from LAX CA -work in SouthTX for giant evil Oil
We have this 12 foot trailer at work that they want us to mount a generator, communication console, mast, etc etc on ... and run it 95% of the time via solar panels .... so far so good ...

THE ISSUE is that it has to be towed at 100kmh (60mph) and operated by a single linesman ... so I have spent half a day trying to look all over the internet for anyone that builds these platforms that slides and stores solar panels that we can put on top of a shelter and then expand out 4/8/16 solar panels once the trialer is unhooked ..... I came across a few of them on some VAN life YOUTUBE posts BUT they never said where they got them from ...

IF anyone has any thoughts on who makes these solar panel storage slider things PLEASE let me know .. can be US or Chinese or Martian at this point ...

THX ...

Did any of the Van conversion companies make them. I have seen some examples but I don't remember the companies.

I have watched many of the motorhome, van, and camper trailer videos. The ones I saw with pv panels that retracted were “home-made” using mostly 80/20 or other structure and drawer slides. Usually manual sliders were utilzed, but, look at “everlanders”. He has created power actuated slides.
As creative and thorough as you are, everlander should provide you a starting point. i suspect you have access to one or more decent “trades” people to build it.

A market waiting for a good vendor....Only one I saw was at an RV show and it folded out from under the RV. but it was like 12 thin flex panels. Cant find the company now.

Another option would be to have the panels hinge mounted on the sides and maybe even the back of the trailer so they fold down on the sides while underway and are folded up and supported like an awning when parked.

I have seen some home made slide roof slide type that had either pneumatic or electric actuators which would be easier for a single person to operate .... but haven't seen any ready made ones.

One video in a series here ...

Last edited:
I did not ever build a slide open set of panels. But can see it done. I used uni-strut to mount my tilt-able panels to the roof of my van. Been at 65 and 70 mph more than a few times. i can vision panels mounted using un-strut at differing heights that slide under the other. The upper most would be solid mount that can take the speed and protect the other closed panel.

These are $172 a set but could work. You would still need to construct the frame.

We have this 12 foot trailer at work that they want us to mount a generator, communication console, mast, etc etc on ... and run it 95% of the time via solar panels .... so far so good ...

THE ISSUE is that it has to be towed at 100kmh (60mph) and operated by a single linesman ... so I have spent half a day trying to look all over the internet for anyone that builds these platforms that slides and stores solar panels that we can put on top of a shelter and then expand out 4/8/16 solar panels once the trialer is unhooked ..... I came across a few of them on some VAN life YOUTUBE posts BUT they never said where they got them from ...

IF anyone has any thoughts on who makes these solar panel storage slider things PLEASE let me know .. can be US or Chinese or Martian at this point ...

THX ...
Here's a solution. Power actuated sliding rails with multiple panels. Veranda. Self-contained everything. Tow it all day. Major hubba-hubba. Your linesman will thank you every day. On the other hand, your CFO might faint. (But then again, you might just ask them about the power slider supplier)
Fun to watch no matter what.

Another option would be to have the panels hinge mounted on the sides and maybe even the back of the trailer so they fold down on the sides while underway and are folded up and supported like an awning when parked.

I have seen some home made slide roof slide type that had either pneumatic or electric actuators which would be easier for a single person to operate .... but haven't seen any ready made ones.

One video in a series here ...

OUTSTANDING ... thank you for finding this ... i am going to reach out to him and pick his brain ... was hoping to find a commercial product BUT this helps me 1000% ... I would love to have the skillset that ppl like him have .. i took a couple of mechanical engineering courses in College and both mechanical Engineer professors said that I would make a great EE (LOL) ... i soon understood later in life why they said that ...

Back