diy solar

diy solar

Parallel Connectors or a Combiner Box?

liamlunchtray

So I just picked up 4 SolarEver 455 watt panels from Santan for my RV. I'm planning to run them to a Victron SmartSolar 150/100 MPPT. This will be in addition to the 3 200watt panels I have connected to a Victron 100/50. Batteries are (2) Powerqueen 300AH chin's clones in a 12V system with a Multiplus 12/3000/12-50.

Here are the panel specs:
  • Power: 455W
  • Maximum Voltage (VMP): 41.51 V
  • Maximum Power Current (IMP): 10.96 A
  • Open Circuit Voltage (VOC): 49.35 V
  • Short Circuit Current (ISC): 11.44 A
  • Maximum Fuse Rating: 20 A
  • Maximum System Voltage: 1500VDC (IEC)
My thought was to have 2 strings of 2 panels in series, which are then paralleled to go to the MPPT. The 150/100 will be a little overpaneled, but they're mounted flat so its not like they will be hitting their peak output anyway. Assuming this makes sense, are those Mc4 parallel connectors OK to use or do I need a legit combiner box? If the parallel connectors are OK, are the Victron ones any better than anyone elses?

Thanks in advance!
Liam

My opinion is to use MC4 Y connectors but not the cheap ones on Amazon. Go to a supplier that sells quality parts.

Short Circuit Current (ISC): 11.44 A
The standard MC4 Y connectors are supposed to be rated for 30A. They are VERY popular for 2S2P arrays just like you are proposing.
are the Victron ones any better than anyone elses?
Good question. Probably not worst than most?
I did not know there were Victron branded MC4 connectors.

Since you already have a 600W array you know the convenience/importance of a cutoff switch (or breaker).
in addition to the 3 200watt panels
3S?

Go to a supplier that sells quality parts.
Is there a way to recognize quality MC4 connectors? I was not aware of any labeling or branding.

I thought that BougeRV was a quality seller. They are on Amazon and I've been recommending them so would love to hear from someone who knows about these things.

Thanks all! I will indeed have an appropriate breaker. I'm psyched to get them installed.

Back