diy solar

diy solar

Please explain to me.

Let's drop down to a 40 amp output a/c 120/240 volt output. The 8k thing's dang pricey. And realistically with out stove, oven and hvac. 40 amps should be fine. I've run the house on a 5k gas generator before.

Let's say Snake Plissken pushes that button again and all our electricity goes away. I would like to to have one of those MPPT things fed by batteries and charged by solar panels.

Or, i in event a hurricane or snow knocks the power out before Plissken mashes his button.

I would like to walk back to my panel, flip my transfer switch and have power so my milk don't spoil, stuff in my freezer stays frozen, keep my laptops and phones charged up to play games on, run my cpap, play my tv so I can watch dvds until I die or someone fixes the electricity.

I would like to know what and all I need, is it possible to do and if I'd be able to afford to build it.

I'm sure I asked the wrong questions but I did say in my OP, I know zero about solar power. I'm not trying to be a smart ass, my since of humor is a little off bubble???

Thanks for any and all help.

Some basics for you:

The solar panels produce DC amps and volts.

The MPPT arranges those to a level your battery likes and stuffs that DC power into your battery.

The battery feeds an inverter.

The inverter eats up the DC and cranks out AC power that you can use whenever whoever pushes whatever button.

This statement by you made me think otherwise:

I would like to to have one of those MPPT things fed by batteries and charged by solar panels.

Let's drop down to a 40 amp output a/c 120/240 volt output. The 8k thing's dang pricey. And realistically with out stove, oven and hvac. 40 amps should be fine.

40 amps@240VAC = 9600 watts.
You could look at inverter/chargers in the 4800 watt range which is 20amps@240VAC.
inverter/chargers almost always have a built in automatic transfer switch which makes them basically able to function as a UPS.

Figure out what you want to run when the button gets pushed and people can help you better.

I don’t think you will end up wanting a split phase system when you know all of what that entails.

Back