diy solar

diy solar

Poof goes the inverter, but not the RV! Phew

You made a blanket statement that 'all level one chargers are 120v- incorrect...
I wish that people wouldn't assume when making statements like that that ALL people on the internet who see a google search returning statements like that that everyone will be aware of your proviso...
(a blanket statement like that almost killed a friend of mine when someone looked up 'how to wire a light bulb socket' and followed the US colour codes- black is NOT the active/line outside that small handfull of countries- black is the neutral and white is the switched active- he got an electric shock which nearly killed him because the outer threads of the bulb were live at 230v...)
Google bots index all the comments on this site and they are shown in peoples search results you know...

I didn't say "all", although I suppose one could infer that, but these are consumer devices with a US 120V plug on them. I also wasn't suggesting that anyone rewire such a device.

Google for "level-1 charger voltage", and I bet you get many more posts than mine, including the U.S. Department of Transportations official site.

Okay. So how are a bunch of posts that suggest level-1 chargers are 230/240V any better?

You seem to be trying to prove that your standard is better/more popular than our standard, but we don't get to choose, so it's a moot argument.

This thread is clearly about a mis-understanding of US split-phase, and I don't see how it's helping to fill it with a bunch of posts about another standard.

For anyone in the US reading this, the black wire is hot, but that should be irrelevant. If you're working with high-voltages, everything should be considered hot until proven not. I always turn off the breaker, then check voltages, then touch every wire to ground before I touch it (white, black, red, green, doesn't matter).

Okay. So how are a bunch of posts that suggest level-1 chargers are 230/240V any better?

You seem to be trying to prove that your standard is better/more popular than our standard, but we don't get to choose, so it's a moot argument.

This thread is clearly about a mis-understanding of US split-phase, and I don't see how it's helping to fill it with a bunch of posts about another standard.

For anyone in the US reading this, the black wire is hot, but that should be irrelevant. If you're working with high-voltages, everything should be considered hot until proven not. I always turn off the breaker, then check voltages, then touch every wire to ground before I touch it (white, black, red, green, doesn't matter).
Because you said that level 1 chargers are 120v- they are NOT all 120v- there are 230v level one chargers as well...
If I said that lead/acid batteries were 8v- people would say that although there are 8v lead/acid batteries- they are not ALL 8v...

I wish that people wouldn't assume when making statements like that that ALL people on the internet who see a google search returning statements like that that everyone will be aware of your proviso...
(a blanket statement like that almost killed a friend of mine when someone looked up 'how to wire a light bulb socket' and followed the US colour codes- black is NOT the active/line outside that small handfull of countries- black is the neutral and white is the switched active- he got an electric shock which nearly killed him because the outer threads of the bulb were live at 230v...)

When people DIY in a field where there are hazards, they need to know enough to take precautions and not rely on a single comment on the internet.

In the case of electrical work, they need to DIY self-certify as a "Qualified Electrical Worker". Here is the US version:

My email at work flags some messages with, "CAUTION: this message is from an external sender"
Perhaps browsers should flag links with "CAUTION: this posting is from outside your country"

What if I was to suggest using ammonia for cleaning? As in, to remove the odor of cat urine from fabric or litter box, wash it with ammonia?
Is it necessary for me to expound upon the topic, saying, "do not combine with chlorine or other detergents in the same load"?

Now we're just talking about household cleaning, which can also be deadly if done wrong.

Then there is fishing:

"If you give a man a fish, it just may feed him for a lifetime."

Last edited:
We've been using hard-wired Progressive Industries EMS's for years. They've saved our bacon a number of times.

Any particular reason you use the portable version?
So I can take it with me when we change RVs.

Friend bought a new RV for whatever reason I thought it was a 240V plug like the OP thought it would plug in lucky for me his was the 30 amp would not go into my 50 amp twist lock plug. Later I figured out RV's are 120V not 240V that would have made some fireworks.

Back