diy solar

diy solar

Portable 3d printed wind turbines

I think you are quoting open circuit volts and short circuit amps.
Have you measured voltage and amps at the same time, with a load?

That's your HAWT, not VAWT.
This time it is driving a load, so that is more meaningful than open/short circuit tests.
I can't tell that it is producing more than 2.5W. How many volts across the string of bulbs, and how many amps through?

How does HAWT perform under same conditions?

It is good that you are doing fabrication, mechanical, and electrical experimentation.
But you need to measure watts produced. And correlate it with wind speed.

I did some similar tests using a stepper motor as a generator. I was thinking of micro-hydro application, and thought the large number of poles would be good for low RPM. I was disappointed how little it generated in bench tests. Obviously a different motor would work better.
No it is not as you say about the amps that is again a wrong point in the same way as when you said that the red turbines where static and you do not mention it in this comments because I showed you in the picture where to look to check that it was not static. It is a multi meter attached to the 2 cables that brings the current of the several dc motors used in the test. The video of the hawt was done long time ago, but I will do another one!!!

Again I insist it uses for the amperage test 8 dc motors each one making a part of the total amperage and a common voltage and this again it used a gearbox of range of 10x1 to multiply the shafts rotation.

Use several multi-generators. DC motors will do well as you can use directly the current. Do you have a 3d printer? Would you like I design you a micro-hydro application using this type of design that are applied to the blades?

I forgot to answer you the question you made about the horizontal device. Each LED have a pushing of 2 watts and it is used 7 bulbs but if more would be added it would run good also.
WM-Screenshots-20230214100905.png
Any way, the horizontal blades design is similar but in a different way to the vertical one and considering it uses again a gearbox of 10x1 and the length of the blades are just 15 centimetre, it is amazing the work it do. The wind that day was 45-50 km/h in the forecast but as you can see there was a building in front covering from the arriving wind.

Last edited:
We can't see in a video what the DMM shows, and only one DMM is visible.
Please use two DMM. Or, repeat the test with DMM ammeter connection in series with load (e.g. light bulbs) and then DMM volt meter in parallel with load, under same wind conditions. Then calculate W = V x A. That should be correct for a resistive load.

LED bulbs are likely not a good test load for AC source. You would have to use an AC watt meter, or capture waveforms with a scope.
Bank of resistors you could switch, allowing you to determine watts vs. resistance, would be best.

No it is not as you say about the amps that is again a wrong point in the same way as when you said that the red turbines where static and you do not mention it in this comments because I showed you in the picture where to look to check that it was not static. It is a multi meter attached to the 2 cables that brings the current of the several dc motors used in the test. The video of the hawt was done long time ago, but I will do another one!!!

Your later video clearly showed rotation. Maybe it was something about speed of image sensor in (cellphone camera?) and frame rate, looked to me like turbine was being buffeted back and forth. My mistake.

You have a meter connected to something. It can only measure one parameter. Need to know both voltage and current from a single circuit. If AC, need to know phase, possibly waveform.

Rhino, do not simplify your arguments to misleading statements as (With no load a lot of "small" wind turbines will have huge voltage spikes and spin so fast they could eventually fly apart, hence the reason why many require a load of some sort at all times to prevent that.) it was measured in voltage and in amps, so do not pick just voltage to decorate your 2 sentences. When you measure amperage there is a load!!!! If you have ever measured a turbine spin with your hands just change from voltage to amperage and you will notice that it is more hard to spin.

If the circuit has a generator and a DMM but nothing else for a load, when DMM is connected to measure voltage, generator is operating unloaded and DMM reads open circuit voltage.
When DMM is connected to measure current, generator is operating into a short, and DMM reads short circuit current.

Voc x 0 Amps = 0 W
0 Volts x Isc = 0W

We want to see V(load) and I(load), with a resistive load (not inductive, not capacitive.)
Then calculate watts delivered to the load.

You have not stated a particular wattage that was delivered in one test. Only voltage. Or current.
Power at some windspeed is performance. Power divided by swept area is a figure of merit.

Can I measure amps with a multimeter?
A digital multimeter is a test tool used to measure two or more electrical values—principally voltage (volts), current (amps) and resistance (ohms). So if you are saying that when the multi meter was measuring voltage ignoring that it measured also amperage then sorry but you have a lack of information or you did not thought about it and you preferred to concentrate in voltage so your reply was having more sense. The term amp load is used to indicate the power you get from the main electricity source or transformer. Amperage is the official term used for the measurement of the total electrical capacity.

Of course we know what parameters a multimeter can measure.
When you used it to measure voltage, it was not measuring current. When you used it to measure current, it was not measuring voltage. The load it presented to the generator differed between those two measurements.

You can buy devices that present load and measure power. There are battery testers. There are PV panel testers. These measure voltage and current simultaneously, sometimes sweeping to create a curve.

We can't see in a video what the DMM shows, and only one DMM is visible.
Please use two DMM. Or, repeat the test with DMM ammeter connection in series with load (e.g. light bulbs) and then DMM volt meter in parallel with load, under same wind conditions. Then calculate W = V x A. That should be correct for a resistive load.

LED bulbs are likely not a good test load for AC source. You would have to use an AC watt meter, or capture waveforms with a scope.
Bank of resistors you could switch, allowing you to determine watts vs. resistance, would be best.

Your later video clearly showed rotation. Maybe it was something about speed of image sensor in (cellphone camera?) and frame rate, looked to me like turbine was being buffeted back and forth. My mistake.

You have a meter connected to something. It can only measure one parameter. Need to know both voltage and current from a single circuit. If AC, need to know phase, possibly waveform.

If the circuit has a generator and a DMM but nothing else for a load, when DMM is connected to measure voltage, generator is operating unloaded and DMM reads open circuit voltage.
When DMM is connected to measure current, generator is operating into a short, and DMM reads short circuit current.

Voc x 0 Amps = 0 W
0 Volts x Isc = 0W

We want to see V(load) and I(load), with a resistive load (not inductive, not capacitive.)
Then calculate watts delivered to the load.

You have not stated a particular wattage that was delivered in one test. Only voltage. Or current.
Power at some windspeed is performance. Power divided by swept area is a figure of merit.

Of course we know what parameters a multimeter can measure.
When you used it to measure voltage, it was not measuring current. When you used it to measure current, it was not measuring voltage. The load it presented to the generator differed between those two measurements.

You can buy devices that present load and measure power. There are battery testers. There are PV panel testers. These measure voltage and current simultaneously, sometimes sweeping to create a curve.
Maybe I have not understood what you said about the LED
(LED bulbs are likely not a good test load for AC source. You would have to use an AC watt meter, or capture waveforms with a scope.
Bank of resistors you could switch, allowing you to determine watts vs. resistance, would be best.)
The pushing of each led is 2 watts so if there are 7, that makes it 14 watts. There is no further to look. I will use batteries charges on all the devices so it is clear for everybody and 2 multimeters one for voltage and another for ampers or a simple device as you suggested.

Any how if the length of the turbine arms is 1 meter for example you can know also how much load is capable to spin.

Last edited:
Here is an idea…

Connect your windmill to a charge controller, with a shunt, and show the kWh produced in a day…

A voltmeter alone is a useless device to show power production.

In case results never come or are tiny. That is what I meant
I do not recall subscribing to your requirement issues. Keep it calm because there is no deadline. It has to be ordered a charge controller, ideal weather conditions etc etc so it will arrive for sure but not at your will. Meanwhile finish your turbine because since you opened your thread and viewing your last picture update it is more probable that we might be in a civilization of level 1 when your bladeless artwork will even begin to spin. Demand yourself before demanding others.

Last edited:
Allusions to Grandeur in Alternative Energy! (Illusions of?)
Hints of Useful Electric Power from a Tiny Plastic Toy!

SHOW ME THE MONEY !!! (Or in this case, the Power, watts. And Energy, Watt-Hours, if it holds together that long.)

(Volts and Amps don't impress this crowd none. Try that on investors instead; there's one born every minute.)

The heck with volts and amps.... let just see what physics says... and the judges say....

1.3 watts at 25 mph

I can't think of a single application where that will do anyone one single bit of good.

1676764409487.png

"Oscar Garcia and Ali El Zaher Buendia's 3D-Printable Vertical Wind Turbine Generates Up to 100W"

I call BS!

"When configured with two motors per turbine, the design is claimed to offer up to 100W of generated power — though this depends heavily on wind speed, of course."

I'll say!
Maybe the 150 mph wind speed of a leaf blow, directed only on the concave side but not the convex side?

And I seriously question the mechanical integrity of the plastic gears.

"Using a patent-pending blade design and optional multi-stage configuration, this multi-generator turbine looks to outperform its cost."

Do the gears survive long enough to generate power worth as much as what the thingamajig cost?

1.3 watts at 25 mph

(100W / 1.282W) ^ 1/3 x 25mph = 107 mph

"When configured with two motors per turbine, the design is claimed to offer up to 100W of generated power — though this depends heavily on wind speed, of course."

I'll say!
Maybe the 150 mph wind speed of a leaf blow, directed only on the concave side but not the convex side?

Damn I'm Good!!

Wait for the results, I will come with them and a group of engineering students have taken the most complex of our design for studies. Then Hedges you can check it and invent yourself a comeback, but learn a little about turbines because it was a huge mistake your lack of knowledge when you posted that the device tested outdoors was having the blades static Lol, with those statements you are not in conditions to give an opinion in wind turbines or anything that spins. For information about what to expect from wind as I see you are very limited in information http://www.hydroquebec.com/learning/eolienne/ . By the way the turbine blades can be extended up to one meter or more and without a lot of information OzSolar is speculating with. If you know how to use a 3d printer you can also download for free the files and follow the instructions for free yourself here. https://www.instructables.com/Bi-Generator-Vertical-Wind-Turbine-Device/

This university is quite good in its field, you can learn something, you can download the hole pdf. In Linkendin there are several groups that are discussing this devices but they are mechanical engineer. You want links Hedges or OzSolar it is maybe good you learn something more???
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hm3wW6IeDcW2WjLHhKpS0ooD1sa759CC/view

The multi stage device is base in a patent https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fuErS67V_4pNFQbS9RDOsNXqY9OGYLfD/view

Hedges just eat your BS (Using the same words you used to describe the devices)and digest it good when I will come with some tests and please Hedges lay on the sun absorbing some energy in order to gain some power to arrange your neuron connections that are not doing well by your last comments

You can find a lot of other links talking about these devices, so get used to it Hedges https://all3dp.com/2/3d-printed-wind-turbines-wind-powered-gadgets/

Again just wait for the test and enjoy life Lol

Attachments

• WM-Screenshots-20221231112933.png
    WM-Screenshots-20221231112933.png
    672.8 KB · Views: 4
  • Prototype.png
    Prototype.png
    991.8 KB · Views: 4
  • patente3.png
    patente3.png
    85.8 KB · Views: 4
  • UniAleman.png
    UniAleman.png
    73 KB · Views: 4
  • UniAleman2.png
    UniAleman2.png
    58.3 KB · Views: 4
  • UniAleman5.png
    UniAleman5.png
    74.4 KB · Views: 3
  • UniAleman6.png
    UniAleman6.png
    335.6 KB · Views: 3
  • UniAleman7.png
    UniAleman7.png
    35.8 KB · Views: 3
  • WM-Screenshots-20221231214116.png
    WM-Screenshots-20221231214116.png
    159.2 KB · Views: 3
  • uni2.png
    uni2.png
    100.8 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
The heck with volts and amps.... let just see what physics says... and the judges say....

1.3 watts at 25 mph

I can't think of a single application where that will do anyone one single bit of good.

View attachment 135540
How do you know they measure 0.25 Ft?

1.3 watts at 25 mph

View attachment 135540
Diameter 0.25 ft hahahaha, you are a little biased. Get a degree before you put in your mouth the word physics and you are inventing your visualizations Lol

Attachments

• 243399351_901451537130532_486575397643052738_n.png
    243399351_901451537130532_486575397643052738_n.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
"Oscar Garcia and Ali El Zaher Buendia's 3D-Printable Vertical Wind Turbine Generates Up to 100W"

I call BS!

I'll say!

And I seriously question the mechanical integrity of the plastic gears.

"Using a patent-pending blade design and optional multi-stage configuration, this multi-generator turbine looks to outperform its cost."

Do the gears survive long enough to generate power worth as much as what the thingamajig cost?
Do you know what poly carbonate filaments means in 3d printing? Have you ever saw a print machine? Are you questioning the materials used for mechanical devices in the 3d printers? You make mistake after mistake. I forced you to recognize your mistake with my video of the outdoor test of the device because you did not even wanted to mention that you where obsessed thinking that the blades did not have movement and you come again with this statements questioning materials used in this industry? you are so angry and frustrated that I want to forgive this non sense commentaries as a consequence of your bad emotions because otherwise maybe your hole statements in this forum must be put under scrutiny!!!

Hedges inventing excuses about why he mistakes as a consequence of another mistake below,
(Hedges: Your later video clearly showed rotation. Maybe it was something about speed of image sensor in (cellphone camera?) and frame rate, looked to me like turbine was being buffeted back and forth. My mistake.)

There is a physicial reason of why you saw it static and your lack of knowledge pushed you to think that it was not moving.

It is because film is not an image of fluid motion. It is actually a sequence of still photographs, shown one after another 24 times per second (or 30, or 60, on TV and in video, depending on the format). The point is, when you watch a movie, you are seeing pictures in rapid succession one after the other. You brain isn’t capable of perceiving them as individual pictures (like a slide show) when they change that quickly, so it essentially perceives them as a moving image.

When film (or video) camera records a helicopter rotor spinning, it essentially takes 30 pictures every second. The rotor is spinning at very high speed, between 220 and 500 revolutions per minute. This means that the propeller spins between 3 and 8 times every second. Helicopter rotors have either two or four blades. So, a propeller blade passes above the tail of the helicopter up to 30 times per second. So, if the camera records 30 pictures per second, and the propeller rotates at the speed so that a blade will pass above the tail section of the helicopter 30 times in a second, the camera will capture that helicopter propeller in exactly the same position every time it takes a picture. So, if that rotor is spinning at just the right speed, it will appear on film as if it isn’t spinning at all. And if it spins just a bit slower, so that each time the camera takes that picture, the blade is further behind the position of the previous blade above the tail, it will appear as if the propeller is spinning backwards slowly.

You can see the same thing all the time in TV shows on car wheels. As the cars accelerate or slow down, the wheels seem to be rotating in all sorts of directions, and all sorts of speeds that are completely unrelated to the movement of the car. It is the same principle: film is simply a series of still pictures taken at fast succession.

That applies at eyes when viewing an helicopter for example.

Last edited:
Back