diy solar

diy solar

Power Bank

offgriddle

"FOREVER BEGINNING"
A friend loaned me this power bank and it's been really helpful in taking the strain off of a small solar system when I want too run a lap top, USB fan, radio and charge a few small things.

As a beginner I am confused, this Polymer Lithim Ion battery bank is rated at 50,000 milliamps. If one thousand milliamps = 1 amp, that means that this power bank is packing FIFTY AMPS! That's a lot of amperage for a small package, how could that be when a normal fifty amp 12 volt lithium battery is five or ten or more times larger?

IMG_20200314_162128.jpg

As a side note, I was floored when I saw the "made in China" label. With so few products manufactured in China, (especially electronics & especially in recent decades), it's rare to find the occasional product that is manufactured in China. You go China!

:)
it's probably a USB powerbank, that makes it 5v.
Or actually 3.7 with small booster.
50Ah is a lot, but not unknown to exaggerate.
my powerbank is 10.000mah / 37Wh
yours is bigger, more thick and larger, so, can be.
probably 185Wh.
(not 12 v x 50Ah = 600Wh, but still amazing high watts)

Voltage.
Amp hours are meaningless as a comparison of capacity without knowing the voltage, and power banks are low voltage. The 20Ah powerbank I bought is 3.7v IIRC. So about 75 watt hours. Compare this to a 20, 12v battery which is 256 watt hours.

A friend loaned me this power bank and it's been really helpful in taking the strain off of a small solar system when I want too run a lap top, USB fan, radio and charge a few small things.

As a beginner I am confused, this Polymer Lithim Ion battery bank is rated at 50,000 milliamps. If one thousand milliamps = 1 amp, that means that this power bank is packing FIFTY AMPS! That's a lot of amperage for a small package, how could that be when a normal fifty amp 12 volt lithium battery is five or ten or more times larger?

View attachment 9072

As a side note, I was floored when I saw the "made in China" label. With so few products manufactured in China, (especially electronics & especially in recent decades), it's rare to find the occasional product that is manufactured in China. You go China!
That looks similar to the one I have... but mine has a 120watt inverter built in... also 50,000 MAh... but likely only rated at the 3.7V cell voltage...

I like my 60Ah 48V homemade power bank with a 40A 12V regulated buss bar, and a 1500W inverter... I’m working on a boost converter so I can charge it with my alternator... regulated 25A input... slowly but surely coming together.

It frustrates me that the power bank manufacturers (who should know better) almost never state watt hours or internal battery voltage, even in the specs sheets and manuals, and leave us to guess at it or make inferences from vague marketing claims.

:)
50Ah is a lot, but not unknown to exaggerate.
my powerbank is 10.000mah / 37Wh
yours is bigger, more thick and larger, so, can be.
probably 185Wh.
(not 12 v x 50Ah = 600Wh, but still amazing high watts)
It generates usb voltage yes, also 12 VDC and 20VDC which runs laptops.

Voltage.
Amp hours are meaningless as a comparison of capacity without knowing the voltage, and power banks are low voltage. The 20Ah powerbank I bought is 3.7v IIRC. So about 75 watt hours. Compare this to a 20, 12v battery which is 256 watt hours.
That's just it, this power bank produces USB voltage, (whatever that it), 12 and 20 VDC, so according to P= I x E, the available wattage will vary depending on the voltage drawn.

Still..
3.7 volt, and booster capable of 5, 12 or 20v.
(Maybe voltage between 12 and 20v?
Base voltage is lithium, 3.7v.
And the total of the cells is the shown mah.

Feel free to test, to see how much watt hours you can really use.

That will show you the core voltage used to calculate the shown Mah.

Back