diy solar

diy solar

Powering a Mint Split unit in an RV by solar and lithium batteries

Ledsun

I'm in the process of converting a van into a RV.
I have seen several videos on this being done with a high seer rating small mini split unit 90000 or 12000 ...
some saying 24 seer due to the low energy needed.
These videos say that the new high efficiency units only pull say 9 watts and can run 24 hours day on solar and battery.
The units are 110 or 115 v. ac and can provide heat in the cold.
First of all that would be great if it's true and second of all would your 400 watt solar system you power this set up and how much
battery would it take..
I saw you video on the small ac in your shop so it could be possible. Lot of money to waste if not possibel
I would love see a video done on this subject.. There is a major market for people wanting to camp in comfort and not need a generator.
Love your videos and have learned a lot.
Thanks

Videos claiming 9W are made by lying liars who lie.

SEER means BTU/h/SEER = Watts, e.g. 12000BTU/h/24 SEER = 500W

12000BTU/h - that's a LOT of cooling for a Van

That is NOT a peak, that is the average. As shown, 120V * 7A = 840W - that will be your peak plus a little more for surge, yeah, probably the 10A Craig mentioned as these high efficiency units typically have soft starters.

400W panels won't run it, but will cover most of it assuming optimal angle (rare on roof mounted RV), but once it's maintaining a reasonable set temp, it will probably be pretty close.

I'm going to guess that was a typo and should be 9 amps...
Off topic to offer suggestions; many members wants air conditioning and heat with solar. They just required a lot of power to run 24x7. Huge battery banks and panels to keep it top off the batteries.

How about an alternative for cooling:

Will a swamp cooler(<100w) and a dehumidifier(100 w) could act as an air conditioner alternative? With a small solar ice maker(100w) to feed the swamp cooler? Or use the water from the dehumidifier for the ice maker? Think it might use less electricity and still be comfortable? Any one tried from dry and humid places?

If it's a dry place all you need is the swamp. I think a dehumidifier is really just a small AC unit so that I would not use. No real benefit to tying an ice maker into it that I can see.

I have a bus conversion/rv and have tried both swamp coolers and "portable" AC's in the past with no good results at all.

I installed a mini-split with VERY good results.

No reason you can not run one off from any kind of batteries you want, as long as you have a battery bank big enough to handle it. I would suggest utilizing as many ways to charge the batteries as possible. I am set up to charge via solar, battery charger when on shore power, and also from my start batteries when the bus/RV is running (of course an alternator on a 40' MCI bus is a monster compared to that one most sticks and staples RV's).

It is rated at 6a max but unless you have it really cranked in 100 degree weather it draws less than 1,500w. Usually far less than 1,500w.

Our off-grid property is in the high desert, and a portable roll-around evaporative cooler works pretty well. The air coming out of it is about 20°F lower than inlet, and it uses about 200W. Use of evap coolers requires a "flow through" situation where you are pulling in the warm dry air, cooling it and then the space has an exit to allow the humid air to escape. Otherwise, you rapidly lose the ability to cool the air due to increased humidity... and lots of flop sweat.

Additionally, like Solar1 said, small residential dehumidifiers are essentially air conditioners. Small ones use 300-400W, not 100W.

Our off-grid property is in the high desert, and a portable roll-around evaporative cooler works pretty well. The air coming out of it is about 20°F lower than inlet, and it uses about 200W. Use of evap coolers requires a "flow through" situation where you are pulling in the warm dry air, cooling it and then the space has an exit to allow the humid air to escape. Otherwise, you rapidly lose the ability to cool the air due to increased humidity... and lots of flop sweat.

Additionally, like Solar1 said, small residential dehumidifiers are essentially air conditioners. Small ones use 300-400W, not 100W.
That's cool.

Long ago, a YouTuber Technomadia (I can't find that video now, it was like 4 to 5 years ago) did their bus with Victron inverter, Lithium batteries, generator,DC to DC charger because their bus has a huge alternator to help charging it. Forgot how much was their solar. They were able to use the air conditioner with power assist from the Victron inverter. For example, the solar is low, the battery would use more power, or battery low, the generator would kick in to help or combination of all three. They should a picture of how that juice flows on the color display. Definitely do-able with mini-spilt or the newer LG dual inverters windows type air conditioner. Just expect to use minimal of 1000 Watt an hour. For the mini-splits, not sure how the compressor likes it when driving on the road.

Wow that was a lot of responses,,, it will take me a bit to digest all of that,
First it was a typo... it was supposed to be 9 amps.
Second of all I haven't bought a unit yet... I don't want to spend over a 1000 or more dollars on a chance.
I live in the south about 200 feet above sea level ie a swamp plenty of moisture, plus I want to travel with it.
There was a video on this site Solar Shed that showed a small ac cooling a workshop, maybe 5000 btu unit. which may cool
my van.
One of the videos I watched is from Gone Boondocking, Solar Mini split air conditioner runs 24 7 365
This video says that his Meda 24.4 seer unit 1100 btu with turbo mode uses less than 460 watts on high and once it reaches the set temp it drops
1/4 of that... 24 btu for one what
I have no idea of what I'm talking about. Please watch the video
So here's what I need as simple as possible:
1 Is this possible ?
2. Would a five hundred watt solar system do this ?
3 How much lithium batteries would I need ?
4 I could also add the alt from the van to help charge the batteries.
My main goal is to have heat and ac in the very van for sleeping overnight with electricity and very quite.
Generators are too noisy, parks won't let run them after a certain hour.
Parks with electricity slots are expensive for every night
That is a RV Holy Grail
If this is possible I would spend the money.
Thanks for all y'all help

well,i have a 19 seer @120v A/C pulling 7 amps.
9 watts huh.
How much battery storage do you have and what type of batteries do you have ? I think I want Lithium for full usage .
How much Solar panel power do you have ?
Do your unit also do heat

SEER means BTU/h/SEER = Watts, e.g. 12000BTU/h/24 SEER = 500W

Is it really that simple? Take BTU/hr and divide by SEER rating to get power draw? (I hope so, this would make comparing very simple)

Is it really that simple? Take BTU/hr and divide by SEER rating to get power draw? (I hope so, this would make comparing very simple)

Yes, but it's a very long term average given "Seasonal" in "S"EER. The example would use 500W average over the cooling season. Might not mean squat on a daily basis, but you fall back to the current/voltage ratings to plan for the worst.

Off topic to offer suggestions; many members wants air conditioning and heat with solar. They just required a lot of power to run 24x7. Huge battery banks and panels to keep it top off the batteries.

How about an alternative for cooling:

Will a swamp cooler(<100w) and a dehumidifier(100 w) could act as an air conditioner alternative? With a small solar ice maker(100w) to feed the swamp cooler? Or use the water from the dehumidifier for the ice maker? Think it might use less electricity and still be comfortable? Any one tried from dry and humid places?
Hessaire MC18M is a small evaporative cooler that could work for you if you live in a dry climate. I bought one for use on my patio and when working in the garage. It works great as long as it is blowing directly on you. I live in Phoenix which is pretty much the best possible use case. It also gets blistering hot and that cooler lets me spend time outside in the summer.

Pertinent specs:
Voltage: 110-120 V
Maximum Wattage: 85 W
Maximum Amperage: 0.7 Amp

I plan on taking it with me in my van in the summer. Water consumption would be the biggest issue for boondocking.

I saw one of these in Will's' garage in the video of him was showing off his house. He might have some long term usage commentary. I have been using mine for 2 months now and have no complaints.

Hessaire MC18M is a small evaporative cooler that could work for you if you live in a dry climate. I bought one for use on my patio and when working in the garage. It works great as long as it is blowing directly on you. I live in Phoenix which is pretty much the best possible use case. It also gets blistering hot and that cooler lets me spend time outside in the summer.

Pertinent specs:
Voltage: 110-120 V
Maximum Wattage: 85 W
Maximum Amperage: 0.7 Amp

I plan on taking it with me in my van in the summer. Water consumption would be the biggest issue for boondocking.

Those are the exact units I reference above, and I mis-remembered the power specs. We're actually in Mesa, and our off-grid property is about 20 miles ENE of Show Low in the high desert. I literally used one last weekend when it was pushing mid-90s at 6800 ft elevation.

We have one in each RV. Also a great roll-around fan too.

Back