diy solar

diy solar

PowerPro/6000XP Em Backup Questions

Mr onetwo

Good morning all,
I am in the process of installing the aforementioned combination strictly for emergency power outage backup for now (pv and 2nd battery in future).I intend to shutdown the battery/ inverter when not needed and exercise it every so often.That way there are no standby losses.First question is what state of charge should I let the battery rest at so it does get damaged or shorten it's life? Second question...will once a month exercise be enough to maintain good battery health or more often? Any other thoughts on this type of setup are appreciated.

Attachments

• interlock plan.JPG
    interlock plan.JPG
    113.3 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Good morning all,
I am in the process of installing the aforementioned combination strictly for emergency power outage backup for now (pv and 2nd battery in future).I intend to shutdown the battery/ inverter when not needed and exercise it every so often.That way there are no standby losses.First question is what state of charge should I let the battery rest at so it does get damaged or shorten it's life? Second question...will once a month exercise be enough to maintain good battery health or more often? Any other thoughts on this type of setup are appreciated.
With the interlock you will run the panel either on grid or on the EG4 6500 split phase - seems okay, this will be manual only transfer, meaning you will need to go to your garage and manually switch the interlock. You may want to consider other options, like a dedicated CLP (critical loads panel) or use the Inverter on 'grid first' priority and use the automatic transfer switch in the inverter. Depends on your situation.

Batteries are LFP and should not be left long term at high state of charge. You can consult with Signature Solar on what they recommend for cycling and what the storage SOC should be (I read often 50% SOC is safe for long term storage). Your post indicates 'garage' for the batteries, and your signature block says Maine - is the garage heated? LFP batteries need to be above freezing for charging.

For long term fully charged situation, perhaps below freezing, Lead-Acid batteries may be a better choice.

Another option for you, if you have local Time of Use utility power, would be to run the loads during the peak cost time of each day from your battery, and then off peak recharge the battery each day(night) - this would exercise them, and keep them from sitting long term at high state of charge. It may also save a bit of money on the difference between peak rates and off peak rates - if these apply in your area.

Supposedly, CMP is issuing a report on Jan 15, 2024 about TOU metering that is mandated by the state. Right now it is not available to residential customers and I have my doubts that CMP will be fair about it. Absolutely terrible utility:poop:

The time of use rates can be an advantage for those with battery banks, for load shifting. Considering many utilities report 'wasting' overnight power, it seems like a win win to load shift power with batteries, and even out the demand somewhat, while saving some money. EV charging is another positive use for overnight utility charging, and another win for the consumer if this charging is at a reduced rate.

Back