diy solar

diy solar

Practical Preppers?

Opieight

Good afternoon!

Does anybody have any opinions on Practical Preppers as a source for EG4 equipment? I see on the EG4 website Signature Solar is their only listed distributor? Practical preppers also sells EG4 but is not a distributer?

Thinking I may just purchase from the listed distributer after my research, unless one of you knows if PP is in fact a distributor?

Good afternoon!

Does anybody have any opinions on Practical Preppers as a source for EG4 equipment? I see on the EG4 website Signature Solar is their only listed distributor? Practical preppers also sells EG4 but is not a distributer?

Thinking I may just purchase from the listed distributer after my research, unless one of you knows if PP is in fact a distributor?
I would want to know price and support as factors in my decision.

Can confirm that Practical Preppers is a reseller for EG4. I do not know what type of support that they offer, so I can not make a comment to that. If you are looking into purchasing any time of prepper gear or equipment, he's got it all. Much more than just solar. Ultimately though, I would assume you would still be dealing with Signature Solar if you run into any issues.

Thank you all for the information!

@BenFromSignatureSolar- The Statement "I would assume you would still be dealing with Signature Solar if you run into any issues". I am not sure what that statement means?
How are PP and SS connected here, and why the assumption I'd be working with Signature Solar if issues came up? Is SS a different tier distributor than PP?

I just want to understand if I am missing something here. If SS is more "Factory Direct", and has better/different access to EG4's support, I may reconsider place of purchase.

Thanks again for the help!

PP purchases the batteries from Signature Solar. From my understanding, they do not have a technical support team so SS would be your contact for support. They will, however, carry the warranty on the batteries and they sell at the same price. So I really don't think you would go wrong choosing to purchase them from Practical Preppers.

PP purchases the batteries from Signature Solar. From my understanding, they do not have a technical support team so SS would be your contact for support. They will, however, carry the warranty on the batteries and they sell at the same price. So I really don't think you would go wrong choosing to purchase them from Practical Preppers.
Thanks for the info, Ben! Appreciate it!

Quick question regarding the EG4 6500? Apologies if this is not the appropriate forum.
The EG4 6.5kw states the order is "pre-order/backordered" and ready mid-Oct. Do you know if that mid October date for arrival is accurate, or does it look like it could get pushed? Would prefer to order and have everything arrive at once for warranty sake.

Again, appreciate the help/info!

You can make a request to hold the rest of the order until the inverter is ready to ship. I know we have a shipment that arrived this week that we are curtesy flashing the newest version of the firmware before we ship. I do however think all of that batch has been sold. There is another shipment coming in at the beginning of next week and another still at the end of the month.

That 6500 is a really popular item right now.

Good afternoon!

I can only comment on my own experience with Practical Preppers. I paid him $500 to 'consult' on my project for 1 hour. All I got was some poorly done calculations and a weird design with lots of extra stuff I did not need that was never completed. His quote was about 50% higher than I got from numerous other places (not including the extras...just like for like). He also ghosted me and would not respond to any follow up questions on his design or his quote. He seems to have some interesting videos but I would not recommend buying anything from him at all.

The guy who runs/Practical Preppers is a guy named Scott. He’s smart, a really good, qualified installer and he’s an honest person. To my knowledge, his store is just a side business adjunct to his Youtube channel. He basically made/broke the market open for Sol-Ark because he’s legitimately able to give performance reporting on PE and energy storage. I’ll say this as a side - EG4 isn’t all you’d hope it is. There are WAY better storage systems for Sol-Ark, Schneider, Outback and SMA PE. CLOSE THE LOOP and look at current!!!

Good afternoon!

PP will sell you anything they have on their website but do not expect any support for troubleshooting or install. They are simply to busy and only have a couple of staff.

I bought both my Sol-Ark 12k from them and my Sinclair Ground mount.
They deliver what they say.

Good people and Honest but support is not really their thing.

PP will sell you anything they have on their website but do not expect any support for troubleshooting or install. They are simply to busy and only have a couple of staff.

I bought both my Sol-Ark 12k from them and my Sinclair Ground mount.
They deliver what they say.

Good people and Honest but support is not really their thing.
Don’t look for support from the reseller. They carry many brands and it’s a very specific thing. Always go to the product mfg for support with a device. If you want support with a system, get an installer.

Don’t look for support from the reseller. They carry many brands and it’s a very specific thing. Always go to the product mfg for support with a device. If you want support with a system, get an installer.
He is an installer. He installs several total Systems a year.

Go to YouTube and lookup Engineer775.

He just doesn’t provide support for stuff sold on his website.

If it’s DOA they will replace it or if something is missing or broken they will attempt to remedy but if you want to know what to do with it after you have had it for a while and it breaks then good luck.

I can only comment on my own experience with Practical Preppers. I paid him $500 to 'consult' on my project for 1 hour. All I got was some poorly done calculations and a weird design with lots of extra stuff I did not need that was never completed. His quote was about 50% higher than I got from numerous other places (not including the extras...just like for like). He also ghosted me and would not respond to any follow up questions on his design or his quote. He seems to have some interesting videos but I would not recommend buying anything from him at all.

Scott charges $200 hour for consultation normally.

Why the inflated cost for you?

He just doesn’t provide support for stuff sold on his website.

If it’s DOA they will replace it or if something is missing or broken they will attempt to remedy but if you want to know what to do with it after you have had it for a while and it breaks then good luck.
So why buy material from PP?

So why buy material from PP?
Close to me plus he will make sure you get it complete.
You get what you pay for.

If I had known Hightechlab sold them I would have bought from him.

He’s not a bad guy.
He’s busy doing installs and his wife does everything else so no room for support.

Not 100% accurate, I bought my Sol Ark from Scott at Practical Preppers and I did have an issue. I left a message and he called me back worked through the issue. He is busy but I have no complaints about his support.

Engineer775 is super capable. I'm just saying you should never expect product support from anyone other than the manufacturer if you bought components. If you hire an installer then, yes, they should be your first call as they'll likely have a direct line to the mfg's.

I used to live about an hour from him. My water well went down and I wanted to repair it myself just to learn how it worked. I ordered a pipe clamp from him and he let me use his while I was waiting for mine to ship. From my experience I would expect him to provide excellent service after the sale.

Back