diy solar

diy solar

Problem with control of system

Andrew1958

Hello, we have a 9.24 kWp system with a Solar Edge HD Wave inverter and a 16 kWh LG Resu16H Prime battery. We have the solar edge app and a beta(?) version of something in the app enables us to switch between TOU and installer settings which the latter allows us to export on an Octopus Flux tariff. Our problem is that the “smart” solar edge system appears to be based on what we have previously done with our electricity usage, not on what electricity we might want to use. Some nights on TOU our battery will charge (but doesn’t start charging immediately the off peak rate starts) and some nights it doesn’t. We have found that on the nights it does charge it has let the battery go down to 3%, 15%, 19% and, oddly, 33%. If I understand correctly, the battery really shouldn’t be drained as low as 15%, let alone 3%. With winter coming, and dull days, we would like to charge our Renault Zoe using the off peak rate, but are scared to do so for fear of running the battery right out, possibly leaving us stranded during daylight. We have suggested to solar edge that what is needed is the option to say “I want to use mains electric now” but I’m not holding out much hope of that. Is anyone able to suggest a solution as to how we might stop the battery discharging to low levels and how we might get the battery to charge more reliably? Any helpful comments welcome bearing in mind we are not technical. Might a different inverter allow us better control? Not keen on doing anything which might invalidate the solar edge warranty, but that might be a solution.

Back