diy solar

diy solar

Problems with Valence software scanning battery

Hi Russ, don't know if your communicating to your batteries yet. I was having the same trouble, same error code. turns out my USB adapter was wired wrong.
on the Amp connector pin 1 is not used so the wiring for that plug is #2 +5v #3 data line #4 data line #5 -5V. you can use either male or female plug. In the picture #1 is left
amp.jpg
on my USB adapter (same one as Cliffman has in above post) I wired it like this

USB.jpg
After correcting the wiring it worked fine my adapter is Com 3 I also solved the permissions problem go to the Valence software exe file right click and change the security settings to allow all
maybe this will help
Ron W

Attachments

• USB.jpg
    USB.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 10
Yes wolffy I had a similar issue. I could not get mine to read at all with my Amazon USB stick. I remember reading that these cheap Chinese ones sometimes are wired backward. Once I flopped tx and rx I was good to go.

So now that I can read the data and it looks like everything is happy. that's all I can do with it what I need now is low temp cutoff, low voltage cutoff, high temp cutoff and high voltage cutoff. would a external BMS like a Daly hooked up without the balance wires do all this?

I think I had 5 wires wired straight through. So do you think that whatever extra wire that was wired staight through could have been a problem and should have been disconnected?

I need to order another USB adapter and a couple connectors again since I returned the others

wire #1 on the amp plug is the shield of the cable which you may or may not have and is not needed for the short cable length. my issue was I had 1-4 on the usb adapter turned around . I tried it with a terminator (120 ohm) at the other connector and it worked with or without it. so terminator is not needed

hope someone can help. I put together the cable and installed the software, software sees the battery but thats it, when I scan it says no modules found? and I dont know how to log in as administrator? sorry I'm compooper illiterate ?

One problem I had is when I typed com 7 I had a space between com and the 7. I had to remove the space.

Another problem I had is my usb rs-232 to 485 adaptor wasn't passing any power through. So I had to hook the two wires from the valence battery that were supposed to go to 5 volts to a 5 volt power source and then it finally worked.

I'd really like to be able to activate the internal cell balancing.

I can't get it to find the batteris. It searches and the lights flash. But that's it. "No battery found"

I'm wondering what the correct drivers are? The ones windows installs? The ones that came on the disk? The ones on the internet? I'm lost..

I've tried everything I can think of. & all the suggestions I can find here and on google. I must be missing something. Or it just doesn't like my laptop. Its 64 bit windows. Was on 8.1 & I updated to 10 yesterday hoping it would help. But no luck.

I tried both these & every combination of wiring.. I think?
IMG_20200504_100938.jpg
Does anyone know why there's 2 grounds on the blue one? & Which is the right one to use?

Any help or suggestions I would really appreciate. Thanks

Edit: and what is the Windows_pilote.EXE in the software package? I feel like that may have something to do with my problem. I run it & it says
Device pre-installed in advance! But if I try to un install it I get "no device found"
IMG_20200504_103744.jpg

Last edited:
I'd really like to be able to activate the internal cell balancing.

I can't get it to find the batteris. It searches and the lights flash. But that's it. "No battery found"

I'm wondering what the correct drivers are? The ones windows installs? The ones that came on the disk? The ones on the internet? I'm lost..

I've tried everything I can think of. & all the suggestions I can find here and on google. I must be missing something. Or it just doesn't like my laptop. Its 64 bit windows. Was on 8.1 & I updated to 10 yesterday hoping it would help. But no luck.

I tried both these & every combination of wiring.. I think?
View attachment 12537
Does anyone know why there's 2 grounds on the blue one? & Which is the right one to use?

Any help or suggestions I would really appreciate. Thanks

Edit: and what is the Windows_pilote.EXE in the software package? I feel like that may have something to do with my problem. I run it & it says
Device pre-installed in advance! But if I try to un install it I get "no device found"
View attachment 12538
I have it working.
Terminal #1 is not being connected to anything. It is actually for the shielding around all the wires.
Terminal #2 is 5volts negative.
Terminal #3 is 485 positive.
Terminal #4 is 485 negative.
Terminal #5 is 5 volt positive.

My USB 485 adapter for some reason was not putting out any power so I had to run 5 volts positive and negative to the connector on the battery from an external power supply instead of getting it from the USB rs-485 adapter.

if you haven't seen my valance super thread yet you should probably read through it because it has a ton and I mean a ton of information. https://diysolarforum.com/threads/valence-xp-super-thread.5683/

Last edited:
When I connected my generic rs-485 USB adapter to my Windows 10 machine it automatically loaded drivers and stuff I didn't need to put in any discs or anything. I'm not sure where it got the drivers from or maybe installing the valence software made of the drivers available I'm not sure.

Hi. Yes I've seen the thread. Thanks for starting it. I've read it a few times actually. I should probably read it again.

Did you have the Windows_pilote.EXE in with your Valence diagnostics software? Did you run it? I'm curious about that file.

About your rs485 having no power. Did you check it with a multimeter? I am getting 5 volts but maybe it's not enough current? Or did you get no power at all? I have 2 more rs485's on the way. I'm hoping maybe I just got a bad one.

Hi. Yes I've seen the thread. Thanks for starting it. I've read it a few times actually. I should probably read it again.

Did you have the Windows_pilote.EXE in with your Valence diagnostics software? Did you run it? I'm curious about that file.

About your rs485 having no power. Did you check it with a multimeter? I am getting 5 volts but maybe it's not enough current? Or did you get no power at all? I have 2 more rs485's on the way. I'm hoping maybe I just got a bad one.
I checked with the multimeter and I had no power at all. I forget how many milliamps the batteries require but watching the external power supply I realize that I could hook up hundreds and hundreds of batteries and the amount used would be very very tiny. It's doubtful that your adapter couldn't provide enough current.

Yes I had that file I remember running it but don't remember what it did so I tried running it again just now and it extract some stuff and then says driver setup x64. Device driver install / uninstall select INF

Attachments

• IMG_20200507_220831.jpg
    IMG_20200507_220831.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 18
I checked with the multimeter and I had no power at all. I forget how many milliamps the batteries require but watching the external power supply I realize that I could hook up hundreds and hundreds of batteries and the amount used would be very very tiny. It's doubtful that your adapter couldn't provide enough current.
Jak, I run into the same things and ran through the threads. Were you able to find the root cause which finally allowed you to start reading data?

Sorry, wish I could help but I'm still not having any luck. So far I've tried like 5 different USB adapters, installed virtual box, and Windows XP 32 bit. Tried .net framework 2.0 & the latest. 3.0 I think?

The older software only recognizes the COM port with .net 2.0. And the newer Valence software I couldn't run as admin on 32 bit XP untill I upgraded to .net 3.0

I don't understand why some people it seems to just work for.

I haven't given up, but For now I'm just setting my charge controller to 13.4v per battery & hoping for the best.

Sorry, wish I could help but I'm still not having any luck. So far I've tried like 5 different USB adapters, installed virtual box, and Windows XP 32 bit. Tried .net framework 2.0 & the latest. 3.0 I think?

The older software only recognizes the COM port with .net 2.0. And the newer Valence software I couldn't run as admin on 32 bit XP untill I upgraded to .net 3.0

I don't understand why some people it seems to just work for.

I haven't given up, but For now I'm just setting my charge controller to 13.4v per battery & hoping for the best.
How many batteries do you have & how many in series?

Jak, I run into the same things and ran through the threads. Were you able to find the root cause which finally allowed you to start reading data?
How many batteries do you have and how many in series?

I have 4 batteries in a 24v configuration, 2S 2P. I haven't actually connected their BMS's together, as I wasn't sure exactly how it should be done. I've just been hooking up to each Battery individually while trying to connect to the laptop.

Would you recommend I try windows 7?

Back