diy solar

diy solar

Wullis 120AH 48v Battery shuts down when software disconnected.

DouglasJM

My problem is when disconnect my laptop BatteryStudio software (Pic below) from my Chinese generic Batteries they shutdown/sleep after about an hour hence my invertor shuts down!
If I reconnect the BatteryStudio software the batteries spring to life with no problems!
The on/off switch was also disabled by the software which I can change however when I do have to turn it off and on it reverts to disabling the switch again!
When I first got my batteries they worked independently of the software never shutting down.
I cannot get the batteries to operating independently when I take my laptop away for other things.
I have asked the supplier to no avail.
I tried all sorts of setting also to no avail.
I did buy an extra battery that worked independently until I connected the software and the problem arose!
Wondering if a more learned member can advise please.

The batteries are the 120amp hour version of this - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100....order_list.order_list_main.36.21ef1802lLlpqP

The software is called BatteryStudio.exe was supplied by the supplier when I asked for it. The software seems to be from http://www.richpower-china.com according the 'About' tab.
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• pack 4.jpg
    pack 4.jpg
    758.8 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Sorry to say, but it looks like the BMS' are locked and won't allow changes to settings. Unfortunately that is not uncommon but usually some settings are allowed to be changed. It could also be a software problem. I would try uninstalling & clearing all stored data and then installing the newest vrsion you can get.

Please provide:
Make/Model of batteries & link to product.
Name of Software & Link to that as well.

ALSO A RED ALERT !!!

These are LFP cells. Cells 8 & 9 are OVER 3.700 !!! Cell 10 @ 3.6 ! Balancing (passive) isn't doing crap !
Odds are the BMS is kicking off for HVD and I can't see settings for that, you have other issues there.

ALSO A RED ALERT !!!

These are LFP cells. Cells 8 & 9 are OVER 3.700 !!! Cell 10 @ 3.6 ! Balancing (passive) isn't doing crap !
Odds are the BMS is kicking off for HVD and I can't see settings for that, you have other issues there.
Good catch

My problem is when disconnect my laptop BatteryStudio software (Pic below) from my Chinese generic Batteries they shutdown/sleep after about an hour hence my invertor shuts down!
If I reconnect the BatteryStudio software the batteries spring to life with no problems!
Did you set the charging perimeters? If you did bring the bulk down to 54v.

It's possible that the bms is shutting down because the Cell OV.

Edit to add. Try lowing the bulk and charge current, that way the bms has a chance to balance the cells before they hit OV protection.

Try this.
Absorb/Bul charging to 54.8V (3.425Vpc)
Float at 54.4V (3.400Vpc)
Your TailCurrent/EndAmps is 6A.
That is the point when charging Amps drops to 6A to switch to Float.
At 6A charge taken the cells are essentially Full but go into top-off with float.

Try this.
Absorb/Bul charging to 54.8V (3.425Vpc)
Float at 54.4V (3.400Vpc)
Your TailCurrent/EndAmps is 6A.
That is the point when charging Amps drops to 6A to switch to Float.
At 6A charge taken the cells are essentially Full but go into top-off with float.
54.8v may still be to high.
pack 4.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry to say, but it looks like the BMS' are locked and won't allow changes to settings. Unfortunately that is not uncommon but usually some settings are allowed to be changed. It could also be a software problem. I would try uninstalling & clearing all stored data and then installing the newest vrsion you can get.

Please provide:
Make/Model of batteries & link to product.
Name of Software & Link to that as well.

ALSO A RED ALERT !!!
Thank you.
It's an old pic I used. I seem to have cured a lot of the battery problems with an Active Equalizer Balancer Board as the BMS is rubbish at balancing.

The batteries are the 120amp hour version of this - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100....order_list.order_list_main.36.21ef1802lLlpqP

The software is called BatteryStudio.exe was supplied by the supplier when I asked for it. The software seems to be from http://www.richpower-china.com according the 'About' tab.

I can change many settings however when I have to turn the battery off if reverts to the software start-up settings when I turn it on.
I just want the batteries to run independently of the software with my inverter now. Bloody annoying me. ?

Thank for your help with balancing guys. I seem to have cured a lot of the battery problems with an Active Equalizer Balancer Board. I was an old pic I posted to see if anyone is familiar with the software.

when I have to turn the battery off if reverts to the software start-up settings when I turn it on.
Is there a "write settings to battery (or BMS) " function in any of the menus?

It seems reasonable to be able to change these settings while using the app and NOT have it update the firmware.

Just a thought.

Is there a "write settings to battery (or BMS) " function in any of the menus?

It seems reasonable to be able to change these settings while using the app and NOT have it update the firmware.

Just a thought.
Not that I can see. There is a reset hole on the battery however it just resets back to sleep/inactive mode! I want the battery to do what it did when I bought it. Jolly frustrating!

Geez, the Rich-Power site is NOT helpful at all. They have their own BMS that appears to be similar to the pack you bought.
Jolly I dunno, Bloody Rudie Mess maybe more accurate. (I'm a Canuck, I can say that hehehe).

From the other posts, yes it certainly appears that the BMS is keeping its defaults & the software is not writing the changes to it.
Unless someone else has these same battery packs and has that sorted, I can't help much more.

Strong Suggestion !
Edit post #1, then edit the Thread Title from "Battery shuts downs when software disconnected." to "Wullis Battery shuts down when software disconnected." I do know we have members here using Wullis Batteries and if they see that upfront, it shoudl cath their attention.

Some BMS have a coin cell to retain settings and time/date. See if there's one on yours.
That software looks similar to Seplos.

Geez, the Rich-Power site is NOT helpful at all. They have their own BMS that appears to be similar to the pack you bought.
Jolly I dunno, Bloody Rudie Mess maybe more accurate. (I'm a Canuck, I can say that hehehe).

From the other posts, yes it certainly appears that the BMS is keeping its defaults & the software is not writing the changes to it.
Unless someone else has these same battery packs and has that sorted, I can't help much more.

Strong Suggestion !
Edit post #1, then edit the Thread Title from "Battery shuts downs when software disconnected." to "Wullis Battery shuts down when software disconnected." I do know we have members here using Wullis Batteries and if they see that upfront, it shoudl cath their attention.
I have done as you suggested. Thank you sir.
Yes. they were no help at all.
The batteries were cheap so I expected some err... 'management' of them.? I have three running my house mostly full time.
I've connected active balancers to two of them and that has sorted them out fine (so far) the other one is running great without one.

I am approaching my solar setup from a retirement hobby angle and enjoy the tinkering but this batteries running independently issue has me stumped.
Maybe I should rip out the naff BMSs and and install another brand?

Last edited:
Just Communication records and new connection and log in menus. I have the passwords to make changes but they don't save permanently. Restart clears all changes I've made! Grr! Also, nothing I do solves the batteries indepently issue.
Can you replace the bms?

I have done as you suggested. Thank you sir.
Yes. they were no help at all.
The batteries were cheap so I expected some err... 'management' of them.? I have three running my house mostly full time.
I've connected active balancers to two of them and that has sorted them out fine (so far) the other one is running great without one.

I am approaching my solar setup from a retirement hobby angle and enjoy the tinkering but this batteries running independently issue has me stumped.
Maybe I should rip out the naff BMSs and and install another brand?
It's a kick in the xxxxx when the companies lock BMS'. I kinda get their point, because "some" made adjustments & fried their systems and the company is left holding the bag of crud that goes with it. Sadly a few wreck it for the many... the new constant theme... ugh. It is not unique to Wullis, others are doing it too.

They have a long-board BMS, roughly the same size Seplos, Pace, TDT and the new JK that is just being released. I know the idea of having to swap out BMS' sucks but honestly, I don't see another option handy. That being said, I know that other products with locked BMS' do have an "admin" password that allows changes, how to get it for Wullis is the biggy question.

Changing BMS may not be as hard as it seems at first. The case face has teh ports setup like Seplos & others, the display is similar as well. Case modifications may not be needed but you would have to take one apart and take accurate measurements of the bits and then match that up. You would need to try and match the display size BUT it also looks like one of the more common screen available with a few brands of BMS', and I don't think the new JK with Net Support uses that type of screen with buttons.

1698660042408.png

It's a kick in the xxxxx when the companies lock BMS'. I kinda get their point, because "some" made adjustments & fried their systems and the company is left holding the bag of crud that goes with it. Sadly a few wreck it for the many... the new constant theme... ugh. It is not unique to Wullis, others are doing it too.

They have a long-board BMS, roughly the same size Seplos, Pace, TDT and the new JK that is just being released. I know the idea of having to swap out BMS' sucks but honestly, I don't see another option handy. That being said, I know that other products with locked BMS' do have an "admin" password that allows changes, how to get it for Wullis is the biggy question.

Changing BMS may not be as hard as it seems at first. The case face has teh ports setup like Seplos & others, the display is similar as well. Case modifications may not be needed but you would have to take one apart and take accurate measurements of the bits and then match that up. You would need to try and match the display size BUT it also looks like one of the more common screen available with a few brands of BMS', and I don't think the new JK with Net Support uses that type of screen with buttons.

View attachment 175145
I am thinking about going down the route of fitting replacement BMSs and I'm not bothered about holes lining up or a display.
I'll look into those makes you mention.
Thank you again for taking the time help me.

Back