diy solar

diy solar

Propane Tankless water heater for tiny house?

Thank you all for the suggestions so much! For those who are using 20lb bottles, how often do you find yourself swapping it?
We do not have the shower operational, and this is a seasonal cabin, so our usage will probably not be of help to you. For washing dishes etc, we didn't even use half of a 20lb last summer.

I use a eccotemp I12-lp. Been using 1 in the home for 5 years. I had to clean the sensor once. I have a second in RV for 3 years. They are single wall side vent only.

Ignore the (non-compliant) hanging 9kg propane bottle, that was just a stop gap to check it was working until I got the 45kg tank delivered and mounted on the concrete paving pad (the chains go round the tanks as a topple prevention measure).
You are allowed to keep propane bottles (or tanks) in your basement?

Lol. The only thing we can keep inside here are 2 x 1 lbs welding propane bottles and maybe 2 bic lighters…. Lol

( I once ordered a super nice radiant propane heater that you can fit a 20 lbs bottle inside of it. I was wondering why it was so hard to find here until I saw that it was illegal in Canada. …. No comment)

Rinnai is good, kind of the Victron of on demand water heating.

I’ve installed many Rinnai water heaters with few problems. In fact the only issue I can think of was one developed a bee hive over a summer of no use.

They would have the water heater you need with the reliability you want. 3gpm, propane etc.
Yep. Worth every penny. The outdoor models are so easy to install anywhere. I have two and my sister has one, no problems ever.

Yep. Worth every penny. The outdoor models are so easy to install anywhere. I have two and my sister has one, no problems ever.
I have an indoor model on a granny unit, I built in high school. It's been working great for over 15 years, but the exhaust fans are loud....I would use an outdoor unit over indoor in the future.

I have an indoor model on a granny unit, I built in high school. It's been working great for over 15 years, but the exhaust fans are loud....I would use an outdoor unit over indoor in the future.
I wouldn’t like the heat-leak/fans. Mine has no fans. It puts a little heat inside the camper so 100% efficiency :)

A 5-gallon-long shower doesn’t set off the CO detector which is 14” from the floor. Baking something 90 minutes does set it off, however. So the detector works anyway

For the money, you can add more batteries and solar for less cost and a better payback?

I have calculated that for one day at a time recharge batteries hold more energy then the same cost in a tank heater.
Adding more batteries and going electric increases your solar system capabilities, eliminates an additional (flammable) system and you are not dependent upon propane suppliers.

Just a thought. ;)

This is great we have lots of good input here and I really appreciate people sharing their experiences with cheaper units.

I’m still waiting for @MisterSandals to chime in with “we need to do an energy audit”.

At this point @Supervstech could have the most correct answer by mentioning a quality all mechanical unit. The reason I say this is because it’s supposed to be a backup for when there is no sun for a few days.

One other minor detail. Poor water quality can be a deal breaker, beyond just sediment. If you have hard enough water, rust or other issues, it can be a determining factor. I’ve had multiple tankless sales reps (multiple brands) tell me outright that certain unchecked water quality issues can void the warranty. Including the use of distilled water and reverse osmosis purified water. This is a non issue if you can get by (many people are) with a cheap/cost effective option. Aka replace it many times over, often for less money than an expensive alternative like rinnai and navian.

This is great we have lots of good input here and I really appreciate people sharing their experiences with cheaper units.

I’m still waiting for @MisterSandals to chime in with “we need to do an energy audit”.

At this point @Supervstech could have the most correct answer by mentioning a quality all mechanical unit. The reason I say this is because it’s supposed to be a backup for when there is no sun for a few days.

One other minor detail. Poor water quality can be a deal breaker, beyond just sediment. If you have hard enough water, rust or other issues, it can be a determining factor. I’ve had multiple tankless sales reps (multiple brands) tell me outright that certain unchecked water quality issues can void the warranty. Including the use of distilled water and reverse osmosis purified water. This is a non issue if you can get by (many people are) with a cheap/cost effective option. Aka replace it many times over, often for less money than an expensive alternative like rinnai and navian.
U B Funny, thanks for the laughs.
Butt seriously folks, the "minor detail" gets overlooked too many times. waterfilter.JPG
I bought a little Rheem electric about 10 years ago and put it downstream of one of these WITH A FINE FILTER
and it has literally been my best friend through thick and thin, water that is.

I am still trying to figure out how a 24v 50 gallon heater was installed in a tiny house. My 6 gallon RV water heater does just fine (propane and/or electric). Never really ran out of hot. 10 gallon is also available and would be pure luxury.

Or instead of 24v resistance heating I would be in a 40 gallon hybrid water heater and just use the compressor for 3x + on efficiency.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rheem-Performance-Platinum-40-Gal-10-Year-Hybrid-High-Efficiency-Smart-Tank-Electric-Water-Heater

If a 20 or 30 gallon was available I would be on that. Otherwise maybe a small propane generator would be more versatile when conditions get tight.

My 6 gallon RV water heater does just fine (propane and/or electric). Never really ran out of hot.
Yup. I have the same setup. I have never ran out or blown out(auto ignition). All you pilot light people know what I’m talking about.

Expectations are a big deal.! Endless and reliable hot water is different than budget vs availably.

I bought a little Rheem electric about 10 years ago and put it downstream of one of these WITH A FINE FILTER
and it has literally been my best friend through thick and thin, water that is.
Since I’ve given up plumbing, I’ve seen at least five working examples of Rheem tankless water heater’s working three plus years.. Not bad.

Keep in mind being lucky is better than being good. Ten years greatly depends on factors better than ford vs gm. Eg. water quality, use and etc…

Since I’ve given up plumbing, I’ve seen at least five working examples of Rheem tankless water heater’s working three plus years.. Not bad.

Keep in mind being lucky is better than being good. Ten years greatly depends on factors better than ford vs gm. Eg. water quality, use and etc…
I have not kept up on other folks using the product. It has supported a household for 2 years, an individual for 1 year but mostly sits idle. I do not use it very much AND I do not put crap water through it. It survived the house freezing twice without damage when there was no pressure in my pex plumbing pipes. Everything but the pex and my rheem blew to smithereens.
I do not run it on crap power. I did RTFM and followed it to a T. Then I thought a bit, I like to do that sometimes, and have treated it well. A couple years ago I ran it for about two hours straight without a hickup.
I would give it a 10. It does what it said it would do. I paid $175 for it and would do it again.

Everything but the pex and my rheem blew to smithereens.
Pex, cold expansion rated or not shouldn’t burst under freeze conditions, properly installed. Your rheem is freeze protected unless there is a loss of power and or fuel.

Edit: we have an example of known abuse/neglect/oops.. and it still works. Thanks! @WYtreasure

Last edited:
never ran out or blown out(auto ignition). All you pilot light people know what I’m talking about.
Yes. But I’ve used a couple of those for various purposes. The pilot never has a board go bad and (at least in the old days) they can last 20+ years. For a remote off-grid situation that can be an advantage. Or used to be. Having two cheap tankless on hand- one operating, one spare in the box- pretty much does the same thing but the failure rate on cheaper units makes a spare a requirement. You can buy several tankless for the price of an RV water heater

Last edited:
Back