diy solar

diy solar

Purpose of the "Load" connector on my Victron 100/20 Smarty-pants

Baughb

My systems have the PV inputs to the unit, "Battery" output to my battery, and I'm not sure if I need to worry about the "load" output of the unit.

Since my load is connected to my battery and not to the Victron, what purpose does it serve? Is it merely there in case I want to put a load on that connection?

Since my load is connected to my battery and not to the Victron, what purpose does it serve? Is it merely there in case I want to put a load on that connection?
Yes, it generally is for only a low amp connection.
But why put this added load onto your expensive SCC instead of your battery?

I have a few of the same units.

It can be useful if you want to control a small load - IE have the load turn off at a certain battery voltage... Or turn the load on and off with a mobile app.

It also has some other cool features - like timers (I beleive it's called streetlight) if you wanted to control low voltage lights.

The best way is via the battery for most applications. But there are a few use cases where the load output on the SCC make sense...
If you're not using it - you should turn it off in the mobile app if you have the bluetooth version.

That's what I thought. I am just trying to get the most out of the equipment and investigating various styles of usage. Thank you for the answers.

Load function off.

I use the load connections (street light function) on my 100/20 as a way to operate my outside area lights from dusk to dawn. Very low amperage draw from two LED area lights (7-8watts total .6a) I have a second outside light system in a different area of the property that uses a higher draw with a bigger light (22-24w <2a> I use a small $10 12v digital timer for this connected thru a10a fuse directly to the battery. ✌️

Right now I am using the load output to charge small devices like ipads and phones and flashlights ... stuff that doesn't really draw much power.

I use the load connection on my Victron charge controller to run a small light bulb next to the generator,
so I don't have to hold a flashlight when starting the genset after the grid goes down @ night here.

Back