diy solar

diy solar

PV Cable

threepets

Both of these have been sold to me as 6 Gauge PV wire, the cable on the left is marked 10mm squared .After research I find 10mm squared is equivalent to 8 Gauge AWG. I would have to guess the Dual wall sheath is a better cable.
The cable on the right is marked 6 Gauge AWG. There obviously is going to be a difference in resistance in this wire. will the stranding size have an affect on resistance? where will I be able to buy MC4 connectors for the 6 Gauge PV cable20230721_141807 (1).jpg

Attachments

• 20230721_141807.jpg
    20230721_141807.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
MC4 connectors are viable only up to 10AWG. You’ll want to use Anderson or XT connectors or just hardwire everything together with waterproof butt splices or with marine grade heat shrink.

The overall diameters of the copper conductors appear to be the same, so the #8 vs #6 is kinda questionable. The conversion between metric and AWG wire size isn't exact. I wonder if the 10mm^2 is "rounded" to #6.

Not sure what you mean by continuity. If you mean resistance, then they will be very close to equal but since the metric to AWG conversion isn't exact, you will see the one with greater cross sectional area to have less resistance.

The 7 strand wire on the right will be stiffer than the other and will be more difficult to work with. Both are large for normal PV wiring unless you have a long distance to go or your system is very large!

Sorry, I don't know if the MC4 connectors are available for #6.

You can find MC4 connectors for 8ga, but its much more rare. No way for 6ga.

The connectors sure, but what about splitters? Do they make those tolerant of the higher amps that 8ga can carry? Or maybe if someone is dealing with 8ga, they aren't dealing with splitters but instead combiner boxes/something beefier.

The connectors sure, but what about splitters? Do they make those tolerant of the higher amps that 8ga can carry? Or maybe if someone is dealing with 8ga, they aren't dealing with splitters but instead combiner boxes/something beefier.
No, splitters are often garbage...

As to the 7 conductor vs, microstranded...
7 conductor cannot be used in a crimper, cannot be used for mobile situations, and will be much harder to manipulate...

I see a smaller diameter on the multistrand...

If you use it, calculate voltage loss at ,#8 or use 10mm²

The 7strand has more copper, but it needs torquable lug connections...
Or you will have a lot of heat buildup...

Thank you for the reply. It is a 100ft run
MPP LV6548 6500w off grid Solar inverter 48v 110vac, 8- JINKO 455w Bi-facial Solar Panels JKM455M-7RL3-TV20230608_214937 (1).jpg4- LifeP04 100Ah 48v batteries. The multi strand PV cable in the picture was sold to me as 6 Gauge. When it arrived it was labeled 10mm squared. According to research it is equivalent to 8g20221213_150727.jpg20221213_150757.jpg

Last edited:
MPP LV6548 6500w off grid Solar inverter 48v 110vac, 8- JINKO 455w Bi-facial Solar Panels JKM455M-7RL3-TVView attachment 158816. 4 - LifeP04 100Ah 48v batteries. The panels, I have them in 2 sets of 4, produce 1600W each set, most of the day with sun. The panels have produced as high as 2400W each but rare. The multi strand PV cable in the picture was sold to me as 6 Gauge. When it arrived it was labeled 10mm squared. According to research it is equivalent to 8g. On research reading I have read over wiring is beneficial , safe and more efficient. So I have heavy wire every where. My system runs 24/7 and is ice cold. It powers a small house, all but a water heater run on solar and battery. I think I am going to return the heavier wire in exchange for the easier to use multi strand. When I check amperage with the amp probe it tells me any where from 5 to 25amps. Sometimes I will see an amp surge on the battery screen for a moment. Thank you for your help. The panels sit on 4 wheel steer wagons. I can track the sun almost all day.

Last edited:
Thank you for the reply. It is a 100ft run

No, splitters are often garbage...

As to the 7 conductor vs, microstranded...
7 conductor cannot be used in a crimper, cannot be used for mobile situations, and will be much harder to manipulate...

I see a smaller diameter on the multistrand...

If you use it, calculate voltage loss at ,#8 or use 10mm²

The 7strand has more copper, but it needs torquable lug connections...
Or you will have a lot of heat buildup...
Thank You

5-25 Amps 30m (100 feet) if I plug this into a DC wire ga calculator:
8ga (8.37mm^2) 18 amp
7ga (10.5mm^2) about the same as 10mm^2 metric cable size 20Amp
6ga (13.3mm^2) 25Amp

445 Jinko PV panels
I see online VOC 49.02, Vmp 40.52, Imp 8.17, Isc 8.76
You noted these are set up 2S-2P so voltage and amperage will double:
VOC string = 98.04v Isc = 17.52 plus the delta for low temperture (and being in Canada) 20.16Amps should be about max amperage, (at-30C)

8ga (8.37mm^2) 18 amp
6ga (13.3mm^2) 25Amp

445 Jinko PV panels
VOC string = 98.04v Isc = 17.52 plus the delta for low temperture (and being in Canada) 20.16Amps should be about max amperage, (at-30C)
8ga (8.37mm^2) 18 amp
6ga (13.3mm^2) 25Amp

445 Jinko PV panels
VOC string = 98.04v Isc = 17.52 plus the delta for low temperature (and being in Canada) 20.16Amps should be about max amperage, (at-30C)
I have panels set up, 2 sets of 4 panels in series, each set is wired in series. The Inverter has 2 sets of PV inputs at 4000W ea.
You can find MC4 connectors for 8ga, but its much more rare. No way for 6ga.
Can you recommend a Hydraulic Crimper . I have a small wire crimp

For MC4 connectors? I have the BougeRV MC4 crimper and it works very well. But only up to 10ga.

For larger hydraulic crimpers, I recently purchased the large version on Wills recommendation page.

I too have the BougeRV mc4 crimper. Worked great with 10awg.

Like I said before, you don’t want to use 8AWG with mc4. MC4 is rated only to use up to 10awg. Not only will you not likely be able to get 8AWG to fit the connectors, you’d have to be damn sure you’re not getting more than 30A going through. MC4 is rated for up to 30A , hence the 10awg limitation.

If you must use 8AWG for voltage drop reasons and will have more than 30A going through, just cut off any mc4 connectors and hardwire everything. Less resistance or failure points, too.

Most of the mc4 connectors sold in places like Amazon are cheap knock offs. They may be fine but quality control I’m sure isn’t top notch. The genuine and original MC4 connectors are made by Staubli and those cost about $5 each plus high shipping charges. Still, many if not most people use the cheap Amazon connectors and do just fine, but be sure to check the reviews and avoid the cheapest ones.

I have panels set up, 2 sets of 4 panels in series, each set is wired in series. The Inverter has 2 sets of PV inputs at 4000W ea.

Four panels in series will be double the voltage and half the amperage ie about 10amps - you could use 12g I would use 10ga. 8 is more than you need but clearly fine.
I got my hydraulic crimper off of ebay or amazon for about $100 shipped, with 16 sizes of dies.
The metric dies may need the faces ground down a bit to properly crimp some AWG sizes.

Four panels in series will be double the voltage and half the amperage ie about 10amps - you could use 12g I would use 10ga. 8 is more than you need but clearly fine.
I got my hydraulic crimper off of ebay or amazon for about $100 shipped, with 16 sizes of dies.
The metric dies may need the faces ground down a bit to properly crimp some AWG sizes.
Thank you for taking the time to help me understand
For MC4 connectors? I have the BougeRV MC4 crimper and it works very well. But only up to 10ga.

For larger hydraulic crimpers, I recently purchased the large version on Wills recommendation page.
Could you share a link to that crimper (Wills version)

Back