diy solar

diy solar

PV fuse to charge controller?

bkfowler

New here. I have noticed that Will's drawings do not have a fused input to the charge controller from the pv panel array. Could there ever be a situation that would warrant fusing the input to a solar charge controller from a pv array?

do not have a fused input to the charge controller
The fuse would be close to the array to protect the wires that run to the SCC. This wiring is relatively safe it that it should only carry the current that the SCC pulls. There shouldn't be any cases where the SCC would pull an extraordinary amount of current.
I think it is best to have a switch to turn off solar to the SCC. A breaker provides a bit of protection on top of cutoff capability.

Could there ever be a situation that would warrant fusing the input to a solar charge controller from a pv array?
Yes, when there are 3 or more panels or series strings in parallel. MC4 inline fuses are handy as well as solar combiner boxes that can also have lightning arrest, breakers/fuses and cutoff capabilities.

Fuses protect wires.
I use fuses on the PV DC strings to the inverters.
one time a fuse blew. I don't know the cause, but it was a very cold and bright January day.
Replaced with same rated fuse, so far never happened again.
I don't rely on the SCC clipping excess current. Causes can be anything, but the fuse will keep the wire protected from over current by any cause.

Back