diy solar

diy solar

PV Panel Disconnect

MarcMassanari

Is it recommended to have a disconnect switch, fuse or breaker between the solar panels and the MPPT?

Yes
If only 1 or 2 strings, you can just have disconnect.
If 3 or more strings, each string needs to be fused.
Either way, a maintenance disconnect is suggested.

If you have 3 or more strings of panels you need to have fusing/circuit protection on each string.
Regardless of the number of strings it is a good thing to have a 2 circuit box with DC rated breakers between the PV array and CC AND between CC and battery bank. This is a good way to shut down for maintenance battery switching etc.

The strings need to be connected to the same MPPT for their number to matter. Something to keep in mind.

Is it recommended to have a disconnect switch, fuse or breaker between the solar panels and the MPPT?
I agree with all the answers, but my question is "why wouldn't you"

I put in a 20A DC circuit breaker which can also be manually tripped (this one) on each of my DC circuits (panel to SCC, SCC to battery). I'm in Australia so I bought that one, but you must be able to find something similar.

1646874375411.png

No. The less stuff to go wrong the better!
Bad disconnect switches have burned down a lot of houses here in Australia and there really is no need for a fuse.

YES

A combiner box with circuit breakers is one way to accomplish the task (without it becoming a fire of known origin). Another product, a safety switch, can safely disconnect a loaded circuit thousands of times without fail. I use both, combiner at the array and safety switch next to the charge controller. I like my house.

Some folks use the wrong type of switch/disconnect and fail to remove the load from the circuit. Some disconnects are designed to be used under load, some are not. A loaded DC current causes a spark when the circuit is broken. There are many stories, with pictures, of switches failing as a result of the spark which occurs when disconnecting loaded DC circuits with the wrong product.

Things to consider when installing and using a disconnect are the current and the frequency of use. Another consideration would be a structure or vehicle fire caused by a $15 piece of ...

I agree with all the answers, but my question is "why wouldn't you"

I put in a 20A DC circuit breaker which can also be manually tripped (this one) on each of my DC circuits (panel to SCC, SCC to battery). I'm in Australia so I bought that one, but you must be able to find something similar.

View attachment 86735

@pellicle , those circuit breakers look very similar to one that a forum member posted about last year. It was causing havoc in his system. Those breakers may be good for car audio but I would never use them in a PV/LiFePO4 system.

Yes
If only 1 or 2 strings, you can just have disconnect.
If 3 or more strings, each string needs to be fused.
If 3 strings or more are in parallel. Only needs a disconnect if each string is treated separate. An example, the LV6548 has 2 PV inputs per unit. If there are 2 LV6548's in parallel configuration and there are 4 strings each separate with each string running to one PV input, only a disconnect for each string would be required.

If 2 strings are put in parallel at the PV array and then split into 2 at the SCC with 2 PV inputs, it would not require a fused disconnect.

Either way, a maintenance disconnect is suggested.
I agree.

If 3 strings or more are in parallel. Only needs a disconnect if each string is treated separate. An example, the LV6548 has 2 PV inputs per unit. If there are 2 LV6548's in parallel configuration and there are 4 strings each separate with each string running to one PV input, only a disconnect for each string would be required.

If 2 strings are put in parallel at the PV array and then split into 2 at the SCC with 2 PV inputs, it would not require a fused disconnect.

I agree.
Yes, 3 or more strings only require fusing if paralleled.
Disconnect, in all cases.

Should never do this, with mppt charge controllers.
They will fight each other for control over the circuit.
It can be done with PWM charge controllers, with some efficiency losses.

Should never do this, with mppt charge controllers.
They will fight each other for control over the circuit.
It can be done with PWM charge controllers, with some efficiency losses.
kromc5 has been doing it for some time.........

I would never recommend doing that. If, something happens to one mppt, the other will be way overloaded. Which could leave you with nothing.
Just because it seems like it will work, doesn't make it right or safe. But as I said, it's a free world.

How does a MPPT SCC find the maximum power point on 1/2 of a circuit?. How for that matter does it know to take only half of it?. It just plain doesn't make sense. Each SCC needs it's own dedicated array.
I'm guessing that one wins the battle, and the other gets whatever is left.

Back