diy solar

diy solar

Very new to solar but started purchasing items, not sure of the final specs of the whole system.

Spoke with James today and got good news. I was going to have to add another 125ft conduit for more wires but now I do not. He said that it's allowed to run my panels into both inputs to reduce the wattage on the scc. So I can take one positive and negative branch that into two connections for the scc. This saves me from adding two more scc also which is great. This will be very interesting to see how well it does. I will report back the delta in output tomorrow.

Last edited:
Found I had enought to convert two of the scc with the updated connections. Will report back how well the perform and what amps we see. I just barely have room for the two additional scc coming. Thinking of mounting off in the corners above the inverters really the only spot left. They will be out of the direct airflow but I may add a fan system as well. Since I have so much in such a small area. This will allow me to bring 27 panels online tomorrow.

Attachments

• PC090130.JPG
    PC090130.JPG
    268.2 KB · Views: 26
  • PC090131.JPG
    PC090131.JPG
    200.7 KB · Views: 24
  • PC090132.JPG
    PC090132.JPG
    192 KB · Views: 22
  • PC090133.JPG
    PC090133.JPG
    288.1 KB · Views: 22
  • PC090134.JPG
    PC090134.JPG
    217.5 KB · Views: 23
  • PC090137.JPG
    PC090137.JPG
    312.9 KB · Views: 25
With the one to two connection on both scc pv inputs its producing 33 more amps than previous. Have not hit full sun yet today but will be interesting to see.

Brought the second one online that has the one to two connections. The first one is doing fine so far does not feel warm etc. Now working to find a place to mount the two scc that is on the way. I'm thinking of mounting the two above the breaker panels and inverters in the corners. Happy to see that the output has increased and knowing that the scc can be wired this way would have saved some of the new wiring I had to do. My breaker room is 3 by 3ft, even with everything in such a small space it so far has not warmed at all.

Attachments

• PC100143.JPG
    PC100143.JPG
    189.1 KB · Views: 17
  • PC100142.JPG
    PC100142.JPG
    303.6 KB · Views: 16
  • PC100141.JPG
    PC100141.JPG
    187 KB · Views: 17
  • PC100138.JPG
    PC100138.JPG
    153.3 KB · Views: 15
First order was from Signature Solar:

1. 36x ZNShine 390W 72 Cell Bifacial Mono
2. 1x Off-Grid 48V DC 12kW Inverter 120V/240V 120A/150V MPPT with Wifi
Monitoring
3. 1x Growatt 12 KW Off-Grid Inverter Spare Boards

Found the we were using around 50kwh per night and that has to be corrected, I'm installing a mini split, and rheem hybrid water heater.
I’m excited to install the rheem as I can vent this into the tv room to keep it cool.

Like to start out with 50kwh storage either signatures batteries or possibly 4 16s 280ah batteries. Ideally would like to double this later. I'm hoping to get decent reduction in consumption so I can purchase pre-made.

Still trying to find an in expensive mounting option preferably pole mounted.

Not much to show yet but removed trees that were casting shadows on 1/2 the back yard.

We work from home and due to our job that consists of taking care of the ID population we are now using a lot of electricity.

Will update the thread as we go and I'm sure that I will have many questions for other parts of the forums.
Pretty much just did what you are planning. Most importantly for us, the bulk of our electric usage, this bill, is our water heater. I installed the Rheem heat pump water heater several weeks ago. It runs at 1.4 amps 240 volt in heat pump mode so easily fits into my solar/ battery system. This is all new to me also

Pretty much just did what you are planning. Most importantly for us, the bulk of our electric usage, this bill, is our water heater. I installed the Rheem heat pump water heater several weeks ago. It runs at 1.4 amps 240 volt in heat pump mode so easily fits into my solar/ battery system. This is all new to me also
The current draw on the rheem is super impressive, the biggest saver for me was the mini split for the basement.

We have decided to just bite the bullet and install a 120A 250vdc charge controller to compliment the built in SCC of the same in the Growatt All in One. With all the wrangling we have done about yes /no on over paneling plus with the issues you've had, it's just not worth it.

Besides this way we get to use all 32 panels, we can set up 4 arrays at 4s2p, everything stays in spec ... PLUS ... We will get the full 11,800w instead of being clipped at 7000w ... AND ... At 2p per array and pv input, we won't need combiner boxes.

Win, Win, Win

We have decided to just bite the bullet and install a 120A 250vdc charge controller to compliment the built in SCC of the same in the Growatt All in One. With all the wrangling we have done about yes /no on over paneling plus with the issues you've had, it's just not worth it.

Besides this way we get to use all 32 panels, we can set up 4 arrays at 4s2p, everything stays in spec ... PLUS ... We will get the full 11,800w instead of being clipped at 7000w ... AND ... At 2p per array and pv input, we won't need combiner boxes.

Win, Win, Win
I would have really like to done things differently, 2 months on the 1st rewire of all the panels. Much of my wiring is not near as clean as it was before, I have lot of clean up. Not really able to test everything today as the clouds have kept us under 20 amps or negative most of the day.

Attachments

• clouds.jpg
    clouds.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 4
Two scc arrived yesterday and started moving things around to see if I could get them mounted below the inverters.
One SCC is doing between 90 to 102 amps with 18 panels a very large increase. Working on mounting the 5th one.

Attachments

• charge controller.png
    charge controller.png
    111.4 KB · Views: 31
  • PC120144.JPG
    PC120144.JPG
    273 KB · Views: 30
  • PC120145.JPG
    PC120145.JPG
    341.3 KB · Views: 30
Two scc arrived yesterday and started moving things around to see if I could get them mounted below the inverters.
One SCC is doing between 90 to 102 amps with 18 panels a very large increase. Working on mounting the 5th one.
Is that big busbar one big chunk of copper you made into a busbar or did you buy it? Nice.

These only have one PV input correct and max 7000w input? What is the max amp rating on the SCC? Running 6S3P? Isn't the VOC on the panels 48VOC? https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fydpooz6QIxyMA0huAvOza31pyaRVLot/view

Is that big busbar one big chunk of copper you made into a busbar or did you buy it? Nice.

These only have one PV input correct and max 7000w input? What is the max amp rating on the SCC? Running 6S3P? Isn't the VOC on the panels 48VOC? https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fydpooz6QIxyMA0huAvOza31pyaRVLot/view
Those are the bluesea 1000amp bus-bars I'm glad I over bought on those since I'm adding so many more connections. The SCC have two 3500w inputs, On the 150v I have 3s 3 p 138v on each one they are the zshine 500w bifacial panels. The 250v I have them in 4s 3p, 5s 3p 205/180v configuration but they are split from one connection coming in and connected on both inputs on the scc.

Update: James at signature stated we could upgrade my 150v inverters to 250v so they would be usable with my panels.

Last edited:
Those are the bluesea 1000amp bus-bars I'm glad I over bought on those since I'm adding so many more connections. The SCC have two 3500w inputs, On the 150v I have 3s 3 p 138v on each one they are the zshine 500w bifacial panels. The 250v I have them in 4s 3p, 5s 3p 205/180v configuration but they are split from one connection coming in and connected on both inputs on the scc.

Update: James at signature stated we could upgrade my 150v inverters to 250v so they would be usable with my panels.
Interesting there are dual PV inputs as the GW photos always show a single. Must be a stock (smaller SCC's or older) photo.

I never thought about paralleling the PV strings at the panels, then splitting them in 2 at the SCC. Great idea, saves on running wire. The panels I have couldn't be paralleled as I'd exceed the rated GW max PV amperage, so I was running 4 strings of #10 wire but now could go with 2 strings of #10 or #8. Thanks.

I'd definitely do the upgrade to 250V.

Is that just with a board swap to upgrade?

And what are the New 250vdc SCCs? Are those the SC48120 MPV- 120A 250vdc? And you say they have 2 pv inputs like the inverters?

OK I ordered the Growatt 120A / 250V SC48120. Hoping they do indeed have the 2 PV inputs. I wrote Ian and he said they did. I ordered from Watts247. Yes I paid a touch more as they are now on sale at Sig Solar, but I like the access to answers from Ian himself in a very timely manor.

Interesting there are dual PV inputs as the GW photos always show a single. Must be a stock (smaller SCC's or older) photo.

I never thought about paralleling the PV strings at the panels, then splitting them in 2 at the SCC. Great idea, saves on running wire. The panels I have couldn't be paralleled as I'd exceed the rated GW max PV amperage, so I was running 4 strings of #10 wire but now could go with 2 strings of #10 or #8. Thanks.

I'd definitely do the upgrade to 250V.
I just recently found out about that and it saved me a bunch on wiring and possibly digging another 125ft trench.

Is that just with a board swap to upgrade?

And what are the New 250vdc SCCs? Are those the SC48120 MPV- 120A 250vdc? And you say they have 2 pv inputs like the inverters?

James said that it would be possible to upgrade the inveters upto 250v via board swap. The 150 and 250v all have dual pv inputs. I will take close up picture here in a few mintues.

Pics of scc:

Attachments

• PC120146.JPG
    PC120146.JPG
    380.7 KB · Views: 14
  • PC120148.JPG
    PC120148.JPG
    266.2 KB · Views: 14
  • PC120149.JPG
    PC120149.JPG
    297 KB · Views: 14
The inverter fans had been running for some time and I was wondering why. My rheem has a failed sensor still waiting on the part. They had left the rheem in electric mode. But since we have been ongrid I had forgotten about it. Today is the first day I have had the inverter that powers that side of the house. So, the water heater in electric mode pulls roughly 164 amps.

Attachments

• screenshot_675.jpg
    screenshot_675.jpg
    783.3 KB · Views: 11
  • screenshot_674.jpg
    screenshot_674.jpg
    791.6 KB · Views: 11
Back