diy solar

diy solar

Very new to solar but started purchasing items, not sure of the final specs of the whole system.

Pulling 190+ amps I just barely feel them warm to the touch after everyone’s bath. The only spot was the cables near the battery connection, everywhere else was normal. The called today and will be here shortly to replace the temp sensor that monitors the heat pump. The inverter hit 11.5k with the heat and electric mode running. Inverter.

Sun just hit the panels and I went out and measured 144.4v this is connected to the 250v scc. This would be getting close to the limits on the 150v inverter, today was the coldest day since installing the panels.

To give an idea about panels plus temp:
previous highest was 138.8 at 47f.
144.4v at 35f.

Attachments

• inverter doing well near max.jpg
    inverter doing well near max.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Sun just hit the panels and I went out and measured 144.4v this is connected to the 250v scc. This would be getting close to the limits on the 150v inverter, today was the coldest day since installing the panels.

144.4 Voc or Vmp?

This side currently has about 10amp load so it would be vmp.

In that case "This would be getting close to the limits on the 150v inverter" is a red herring. Voltage of array (when open circuit) is already well over those limits.

In that case "This would be getting close to the limits on the 150v inverter" is a red herring. Voltage of array (when open circuit) is already well over those limits.
It most definetly would have been over, I have removed all pv inputs from the inveters and moved them to the 250v sccs that signature sent me. With my panels the inveters will not run on 2s and are over on 3s.

Here's all 5 up and running, another 100ft of 6awg in under week 1/2 . The CEO of temco was nice when called and thanked me for their great bonuses. Thinking I may try and get the 6 scc in the bottom or under an inverter but I want to avoid redoing any 2/0 wiring.

Attachments

• PC130155.JPG
    PC130155.JPG
    228.9 KB · Views: 28
  • PC130154.JPG
    PC130154.JPG
    228.8 KB · Views: 26
  • PC130153.JPG
    PC130153.JPG
    225.3 KB · Views: 24
  • PC130152.JPG
    PC130152.JPG
    224.7 KB · Views: 22
  • PC130151.JPG
    PC130151.JPG
    379.8 KB · Views: 24
  • PC130150.JPG
    PC130150.JPG
    231.9 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
The battery banks are still doing very well, no runners staying very close when charging/discharge.

Attachments

• single 4p16s.jpg
    single 4p16s.jpg
    249 KB · Views: 4
  • dual 4p16s.jpg
    dual 4p16s.jpg
    243.5 KB · Views: 4
SCC are doing well, over 8k load and barely negative. Will miss seeing the pv total on the inverter side though.

Update:
Just went down to checked on the banks etc. Based on previous current 6awg exceeded recommended but the cables are slightly warm. Two scc that have 3s 6p are all at 80 amps + now more than double in good sunlight than before.

Attachments

• 8kw.jpg
    8kw.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 9
  • vs battery usage.jpg
    vs battery usage.jpg
    499.4 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Per growatt the boards are designed for the 150v model. But the inverter is still not functioning properly with the 54v sitting on pv2 with no panels connected. I took bunches of pictures to show the wiring is correct. But the call ended quickly and I do not have a resolution for it. Since its not functioning properly I would like to correct it even if there is no pv input on it.
Sorry to bring up a thread from a few days ago, but I saw what I believe is something similar on one of my Growatts (SPF 5000 ES) and wanted to confirm what you saw.

Are you saying that without PV panels connected, you were seeing 54V at the PV input terminals? Because I don't even have PV panels and was just testing my Inverter for the first time with just a battery and was seeing ~71V at the PV inputs, without panels attached, like I believe you saw. Did you figure out what was causing that?

What I also noticed was that the Voltage at the PV inputs slowly ramped up from 0 to 71V after I connected the batteries and turned the inverter on. Took maybe 3-5 minutes to get there, which was unexpected.

Sorry to bring up a thread from a few days ago, but I saw what I believe is something similar on one of my Growatts (SPF 5000 ES) and wanted to confirm what you saw.

Are you saying that without PV panels connected, you were seeing 54V at the PV input terminals? Because I don't even have PV panels and was just testing my Inverter for the first time with just a battery and was seeing ~71V at the PV inputs, without panels attached, like I believe you saw. Did you figure out what was causing that?

What I also noticed was that the Voltage at the PV inputs slowly ramped up from 0 to 71V after I connected the batteries and turned the inverter on. Took maybe 3-5 minutes to get there, which was unexpected.

That is correct they said it was voltage from the pv1 but I do not believe that. As after it failed, I measure 54v at the combiner and the breakers were getting very warm which never happened before. I have the same panels on an SCC and they are functioning with no issues at the proper voltage. So it was definitely and issue with the inverter. Inverter 2 which is identical does not do this at all I have checked a few times in the past two days.
Inveter 1 has now power cycled itself as well showing no errors, I ran out the camera today hoping th catch the quick cycle.

That is correct they said it was voltage from the pv1 but I do not believe that. As after it failed, I measure 54v at the combiner and the breakers were getting very warm which never happened before. I have the same panels on an SCC and they are functioning with no issues at the proper voltage. So it was definitely and issue with the inverter. Inverter 2 which is identical does not do this at all I have checked a few times in the past two days.
Inveter 1 has now power cycled itself as well showing no errors, I ran out the camera today hoping th catch the quick cycle.
Thanks for the reply. That's very interesting. I was set on the fact that it was the inverter also as my other Growatt (identical) does not have this issue, same as you. Sounds like it's not an uncommon issue.

I'm hoping that when I do finally connect to solar panels, I don't have an issue. HOWEVER, from reading what happened to you, I'm wondering if that stray voltage at the PV input combined with your ACTUAL incoming panel voltage to put you over the voltage limit, causing your issue. That was certainly the first concern that came to my mind when I noticed this stray voltage and seeing what happened to you, I'd be willing to bet a fair sum of money that may have been what happened. Thanks for sharing. I'll have to get in touch with Growatt/Sig Solar...

Thanks for the reply. That's very interesting. I was set on the fact that it was the inverter also as my other Growatt (identical) does not have this issue, same as you. Sounds like it's not an uncommon issue.

I'm hoping that when I do finally connect to solar panels, I don't have an issue. HOWEVER, from reading what happened to you, I'm wondering if that stray voltage at the PV input combined with your ACTUAL incoming panel voltage to put you over the voltage limit, causing your issue. That was certainly the first concern that came to my mind when I noticed this stray voltage and seeing what happened to you, I'd be willing to bet a fair sum of money that may have been what happened. Thanks for sharing. I'll have to get in touch with Growatt/Sig Solar...
In my case it was running pefectly upto the caps failing and found out I was just over-paneled. The odd 54v reading started after the pv board failure.

In my case it was running pefectly upto the caps failing and found out I was just over-paneled. The odd 54v reading started after the pv board failure.
Did it continue once u installed the new 250vdc boards?

Did it continue once u installed the new 250vdc boards?
It did continue to do so and I sent pictures of me holding the meter to the pv inputs to signature. On the phone they thought it still had a rectifier issue but later on emailed saying it was voltage from pv1. When I switched the string to scc I was curious to see if I had some odd panel issue or damage from the failed pv boards. But that string is at 138v for the past few days.

Believe I have determined the very intermittent restart finally; it appears to be triggered by gaming in the tv room. Not sure what if any components would trigger this? But it restarted twice yesterday evening, most of the connections were across several different outlets already. I moved a couple of the connections to inverter 2. Never had any prior breaker issues as the loads were dispersed so I'm not sure which device or devices were causing it. I will have to wait and see if the restart issue is corrected later on today.

Last edited:
Had planned to add solar to this and make a shop on one part of the property. Sold as wind and water tight but leaked everywhere even had hidden structural damage that was covered up very well. The were lots of welds in the top that were not visible or any light but leaked like crazy. It was a tiring week and won the lawsuit yesterday. Learned many years ago to always talk via text, email in business and to record everything and that is what saved us. After attorney fees I still came out negative but wanted to resolve it. It's 40ft HC, was able to drag this with my small tractor just which was amazing, 9800lbs.

Attachments

• PB020338.JPG
    PB020338.JPG
    246.4 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Just checked the banks, we had 3 days of very dense clouds plus fog and no production. It would have been impossible to stay offgrid with smaller banks in the winter. Sometimes I wonder should I add more? All banks are roughly 60+% left. Weather says we may get 4 hours of sun tomorrow.

Attachments

• clouds and fog.jpg
    clouds and fog.jpg
    787.4 KB · Views: 6
  • screenshot_690.jpg
    screenshot_690.jpg
    689.3 KB · Views: 6
Since I posted #657 last night we pulled 11.6kwh from the dual 4p16s since 12:00am, I was suspecting it to be lower but dropped .07. Still no production heavy clouds and fog :(. I'm impressed at how little it has dropped over the last 4 days.

Attachments

• screenshot_692.jpg
    screenshot_692.jpg
    788.4 KB · Views: 4
  • endless clouds.jpg
    endless clouds.jpg
    262.7 KB · Views: 4
Since installing the 5 scc, we finally have some sun light even with clouds hit a new record. 384.9 charging amps.
The two that have 3s 6p are by far and above producing the most. Still have 15 more panels to mount but the lawsuit
has been so time consuming, I spent days transcribing voice concersations, IM's to pdfs.

Attachments

• charging.png
    charging.png
    164.7 KB · Views: 4
  • watts.png
    watts.png
    160.2 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Back