diy solar

diy solar

PWOD Official on Aliexpress - still a scammer despite sometimes sending good orders.

Luk88

Solar Enthusiast
I decided to start a new thread with a store name and all evidence in one place so people searching online will find it easier.

Ive previously purchased different cells from PWOD and this order was fulfilled fine. Then I got tempted with his plastic encased cells. I knew CALB has not made them for many years, but I thought it is "free return" so if they are bad ill send them back. Oh how wrong I was!

To send an Aliexpress item back here in Europe you click a button and Aliexpress generates a shipping label. Once an item arrives in their warehouse and the staff checks it you get your refund no matter what seller says. Great system... If your order fits into one 30kg box. If it doesn't... You're out of luck. You can request a refund, but this is a long and exhausting process (which I now completed after almost 3 months).

So, to the matter at hand. This is the store and the order
Compress_20240629_095748_8007.jpgCompress_20240629_095747_7527.jpgCompress_20240629_095747_7749.jpg

The condition of the cells was described in detail in my other thread. 6 out of 8 were swollen, one had a huge crack from swelling (shipping box undamaged) and I could smell the electrolyte leaking when the courier opened his van door to hand me a closed box!

All had horrible DC internal resistance meaning discharging at let's say 0.25C (50A in this case) would immediate drop the voltage of fully charged cells below 2.9V!

Amazingly they all had AC IR in spec. So beware of basing your testing only on that.

And capacity wise they measured between 121AH and 128AH.

Also all serial numbers were fake (same barcode on all). And I found threadlocker in the threads. So definitely used - a lot.

Here is some evidence that should accompany such thread.
20240501_092245.jpg
20240502_161519.jpg
20240420_162024.jpg20240420_110158.jpg
20240420_105948.jpg

Also an additional thing to point out was ridiculous explanations given by the scammer, his very drawn on delaying tactic and so on.

Some of the highlights:
Q: cells are swollen and one is cracked.
A : they swell in transport, please don't worry and use a compression fixture. They will be flat after some cycling
(doesn't address the crack at all, then sends $5 worth of coupons to hide that conversation from latest history). When pressed on the broken one offered a refund just for this one cell.

Q: Capacity measures extremely low!
A: Don't worry, they need exercising, it will grow in time. That's normal.

When pointed out it's a lie after about a month of pestering offered to give 20% capacity discount, and a refund for broken cell. What am I supposed to do with 7 swollen cells? Buy another one from him? Of course I disagreed. But I offered if he gives 50% refund right now I'll close this and not look back. He seemed to agree, but never sent the money. Then saulid he will agree if Aliexpress offers 50% refund as a part of their dispute. I only offered 50% as an option to stop time wastage. If I'm going to wait for Aliexpress I want 100% (and I got it - minus shipping which was less than 10%).

Also he replied to the Aliexpress dispute with photos of his "cell testing" rack. How his cells should be judged based on performance not stickers on them and how I never provided any measurements based evidence (at this stage I've already added 20+ photos, 4 videos and countless manufacturer datasheet excerpts showing these are essentially end of life).

In the end I got the money back, but probably 99% if people would get tiered, angry and left. The thing is this sum of money is not that important to me so I could literally afford to play this game with him for almost 3 months. If I really needed this money hard the whole ordeal would wear me down badly to the point I probably would have started making mistakes (one Aliexpress customer service told me "everyone is very mean" to them) or drop this process altogether.

So here you have it. For archival purposes. PWOD Official - still a scammer despite gold badge on Aliexpress.

Also he has at least 5 more stores registered. You can recognise them by the products as well as very similar registration detail (different person and address used every time, but similarity is hard to miss).

Last edited:
Sounds like you knew there was a high possibility of scam and you purchased anyway, you are a victim of your own greed and naivety.

Sounds like you knew there was a high possibility of scam and
Very funny. No I did not know there was a high possibility of a scam. 3 months ago I was starting out my solar/lifepo journey and it didn't cross my mind to check a gold starred seller with no negative reviews in Google. Nor did I know solar/ ESS is as scam ridden as it is. What I know now 3 months later is light years ahead.

you purchased anyway, you are a victim of your own greed and naivety.
🤦trolling hard aren't you? Or do you actually believe what you say? I saw your similar "victim shaming" replies on other threads of people posting about scams. Perhaps that's why there has been not many such posts on this forum while the scammers-bonanza is at full swing at European Aliexpress.

As to greed.
Last week I purchased real Grade A EVE MB31 (314AH) from a normal seller (Qishou if anyone's interested) and I paid $77 per cell delivered to my home within a week of order. My previous order with them was for $79 per cell. These are cells made in March this year (its June now if anyone is reading this in future), they are accompanied by a testing certificate and have perfectly flat sides like a cell that has never been cycled outside the factory should be. This is cheaper that the scammer PWOD sells 7 year old CALB cells for that measure 120AH capacity .So where is that greed you're talking about?

About naivety, let anyone judge that by themselves. At the time I've spent probably over $100k via aliexpress over the years buying mostly electronics and test equipment. During this time I successfully managed not to ever get scammed, but solar stuff is simply a completely different ball game.

Still despite this I did recover my money and I learned a lot about testing LFP cells in the process.

trolling hard aren't you?

All it takes is to google search: "pwod site:diysolarforum.com" literally 10 secs.

What are the results:

plenty more!

PWOD is scammer and so is QSO by the way they have been busted selling counterfeit qr codes multiple time.

Someone who wants to save as much money as possible, and thinks he knows more than everyone but will happily play the victim to get sympathy I would say that qualifies as Greedy and Naïve, but also being Noobish because you are un willing to learn.

Already with diy you are saving a significant amount vs retail products so information gather is key on making DIY projects a success.

Last edited:
And before you go around saying I didn't know you could have posted here saying "Hey I'm considering buying form company X, any thoughts" you would have gotten an earful, instead you chose to do your own thing and then post after the fact.

Just what exactly where you expecting? Your going to show us how slick you are? You found some amazing deal none of us knew about?

Thanks for explaining your reasoning. I disagree, but at least I know where you're coming from with this.

All it takes is to google search: "pwod site:diysolarforum.com" literally 10 secs.

I literally didnt know this forum existed 3 months ago. You don't seem to understand someone can be not aware of it. As said before I had a decade of experience buying stuff in highly counterfeited fields like electronic power components and RF gear on Aliexpress. I had an idea at a time ,supported by this almost a decade of experience, I can esily spot a scam by checking comments on their store and googling if in doubt. Looking if they are not farming comments by selling chesp goods just for reviews etc.

Im not looking for symathy with this thread. I got my money back, didn't I? Also, it didn't stall my project. It didn't cause me financial distress. Just some inconvenience and regret I haven't made the purchase using a card (so there is a backup in case Ali dispute fails).

So why am I posting this if you say it is so easy to find PWOD is a scammer anyway? Precisely because it isn't so easy and I want to make it easier. Unless as you demonstrated you put site:diysolarforum.com in the search bar the posts about the scam did not feature very prominenently in Google because they were old posts. This has changed a lot in last month.

If you google any Chinese seller of cells you will find at least one unhappy person. Does this mean all of them are scammers? It's a bit more nuanced than that.

plenty more!

PWOD is scammer and so is QSO by the way they have been busted selling counterfeit qr codes multiple time.

Yes, PWOD is a scammer (although even he sometimes sends good cells, for reviews no doubt). Have QSO been busted selling fake QR codes once, yes they have. I'm not seeing more posts about it since, but 2023 is quite recent so it is concerning.

Are they doing it currently? It doesn't appear so. I'm not going to sing peans to them based on two orders. I'm waiting to receive a third and this is from a new containerload. So we shall see. All I can say is I tested the cells I received from them. I removed the label and I had a very good look at QR codes and surrounding metal where glue was and I see no signs of tampering. I'm not putting pictures of QSO cells in the same thread we're discussing scammer PWOD in so no one who doesn't speak English thinks these are his cells. Here are pictures for anyone interested. https://diysolarforum.com/threads/checking-out-some-new-qso-cells-i-received.86551/

Also these cells from the sanded qr codes thread were definitely not grade A, but not absolutely horrible. So definitely not grade A, but if I got let's say 50% discount or an option to return I'd be very tempted to keep them.

But were discussing PWOD here not QSO, Docan or Luyuan, who are considered sort of reputable. In the QSO thread the buyer didn't want to invoke the guarantee. I'd be very much interested what happens if he did. I can't you with PWOD he will lie and evade. I've found more than one thread saying people from QSO,Docan,Luyuan (no personal experience with last two) will at least try to resolve your problem.

Here it is worth mentioning the volume of real grade A cells they ate moving through Poland now. On Monday I made an order, on Tuesday I wanted to make a second I was told the container is sold out and new one arrives on Friday. I bought 16 cells from it in advance. On Friday I asked if it arrived and it did. I asked to make an order from it and only 8 cells were left from an entire container. Also I was given a test report for 50k cells. So this is the kind of volume I estimate they move almost every week (at least in the summer). And there is one relatively recent bad experience...

Someone who wants to save as much money as possible, and thinks he knows more than everyone but will happily play the victim to get sympathy I would say that qualifies as Greedy and Naïve, but also being Noobish because you are un willing to learn.
You probably have no idea about buying cells here in Europe. Before I thought you were trolling, but I admit I don't think you do. If this insulted you I'm sorry. However, coming back to the subject. If you wanted to go to a classic EU based reseller you'd either get "a guy" just dropshipping QSO etc and cutting 20% more or if you want a real established business they will not sell to you. They most likely make their own certified batteries and sell them at 500% cell price markup. There was time LG Chem cells made in Germany were available. These are all slurped by the 500% markup crowd.

Some people buy totalled, buy almost new EV car batteries for their ESS. I'd rather not.

If you don't want to spend a cost of entire bloody system on one battery does this make you greedy? If yes, then I guess we're all greedy on this forum.

There is a lot I could say about doing business with Chinese vs Europeans, but this post is already way too long.
Already with diy you are saving a significant amount vs retail products so information gather is key on making DIY projects a success.
It is a learning experience right? Still, with the information I gathered I made the QSO orders for example. If they turn bad I'm pretty sure they'll let me simply return the cells as their warehouse is overnight shipping away andvif not only buy solar equipment on Card now so I've got a backup if all else fails.

Ok fine, but bottom line is just ask on the forums before you spend money because many of us have gone through this bs before.

BTW I was scammed twice by Xuba and Basen before finally getting good cells from Luyuan. That was the first store that started carrying real grade A cells.

It will cost nothing to ask on the forums. NKON in Europe has good cells at a fair price.

diy solar

diy solar
Back