diy solar

diy solar

Quattro operating environment

Bluedog225

Texas
I’ve looked at the data sheet and the manual, but I don’t see a recommended environmental operating temperature listed for the Victron Quattro 48 5000. I do see the debating info at various temps.

I’m particularly interested in using the Quattro in a high temperature environment. I don’t want to void the warranty.

I’m probably just missing it. Does anyone know where this information might be located? Thanks.

Here it is

Continuous Output Power at 25°C: 5000 VA
Continuous Output Power at 25℃ / 40°C / 65°C: 4000 W / 3700 W / 3000 W

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240618-213305.png
    Screenshot_20240618-213305.png
    166.4 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20240618-214008.png
    Screenshot_20240618-214008.png
    151.3 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Yeah. Derated I’m ok with. But wondering if I violate warranty running one in 110 F ambient.
For engineering I use degrees C, for normal living I use F.
Yes, there's a joke there somewhere...

I measure the temperature of the hot air blowing out of my quattros, and it typically 7-8 degrees C above ambient under about 80% load.
So 27 deg C ambient in the room turns into 34-35 deg C coming out of the Quattros.
Derating starts at 40 deg C.

110 deg F = 43 deg C
So I would expect the air blowing our of your Quattros to be about 50 deg C.
If that is the case, you may be limited to 3200-3500W.

Can't see how this is a warranty issue, the unit protects itself.

Last edited:
The one I’m currently running is being kept at 75 eff. Was thinking of putting one in a less kind environ.

For engineering I use degrees C, for normal living I use F.
Yes, there's a joke there somewhere...

I measure the temperature of the hot air blowing out of my quattros, and it typically 7-8 degrees C above ambient under about 80% load.
So 27 deg C ambient in the room turns into 34-35 deg C coming out of the Quattros.
Derating starts at 40 deg C.

110 deg F = 43 deg C
So I would expect the air of your Quattros to be about 50 deg C.
If that is the case, you may be limited to 3200-3500W.

Can't see how this is a warranty issue, the unit protects itself.
You bring up a good point, the delta T of the heatsink to the base of the FETs. Its higher then ambient but they likely already calculated that into the spec for average "joe six pack" so we "should" be able to go off room ambient for spec...otherwise someone needs to be fired.

You bring up a good point, the delta T of the heatsink to the base of the FETs. Its higher then ambient but they likely already calculated that into the spec for average "joe six pack" so we "should" be able to go off room ambient for spec...otherwise someone needs to be fired.
Yes, in my real job I sometimes have to worry about thermal interfaces and degC/Watt measurements to back out what ambient can be.

diy solar

diy solar
Back