Questions for people using the Victron Smart Shunt:
1. Do you like it?
2. Does it do what you expected?
3. What do you like best about it?
4. What do you dislike about it?
Any other comments welcome.
Thanks in advance.

Don't have one, but have a BMV-702. Can respond with:

4. bluetooth range is poor compared to BMV-712 due to location in the shunt itself and interference from the passing current. It lacks the control relay of the BMV shunt. On the BMV, you can open/close a control relay based on voltage, SoC and temperature.

I have a BMV-712 but have installed 4 of the smart shunt for friends. Biggest con is Bluetooth range.

I like mine. Not sure why so many people complain about the BT. I get about 30-50ft of range on mine depending on what’s between my phone and Smart shunt, which is what I expect from almost any BT device.

I use a cerbo so if Bluetooth isn’t possible I just connect via the VRM portal to get access to all my solar data.

The only thing I dislike is that the bolt for the smart shunt doesn’t fit in the hole for the Lynx Distributor with out modifying the Lynx. I know they have the Lynx shunt but it would be nice if the smart shunt would directly bolt on.

I also think $99 would be a more appropriate price vs $130

I also think $99 would be a more appropriate price vs $130

Seriously. It’s way more expensive than other battery monitors out there and doesn’t even come with a display. If you want a display, add another $70.

Now on the other hand, their IP22 range of battery chargers are a good deal. They’re similarly priced as much of the competition and have a very decent Bluetooth app to program the charger.

Last edited:
1. Do you like it?
2. Does it do what you expected?
3. What do you like best about it?
4. What do you dislike about it?
1. Yes.
2. Yes.
3. Robust, accurate, connects directly with my Solar Assistant (and via that Home Assistant), updates every second. The settings are flexible for all sorts of battery types and for setting the calibration to 100% SOC when the battery reaches full change.
4. Would like an easier direct connection with Home Assistant so I can free up the Solar Assistant battery channel for my battery's BMS. I would have liked the bolts to be a fraction longer to enable use of the locking washer when directly connected to the Victron Lynx Power In.

Putting a 5mm board behind the Power In meant they can be mounted flush.

M4C0KKH.jpg

7xDE2Qu.jpg

Other than the Bluetooth range and the lack of a relay.
I love my Smart Shunts. (1k and 2k versions)

It’s the most accurate device I’ve found for monitoring SOC.

I have mine connected to Solar Assistant as well. While you almost have to be right on top of it for Bluetooth to set up initially, since I use SA, rarely do I find myself logging in to the actual smart shunt.

1. Yes.
2. Yes.
3. Robust, accurate, connects directly with my Solar Assistant (and via that Home Assistant), updates every second. The settings are flexible for all sorts of battery types and for setting the calibration to 100% SOC when the battery reaches full change.
4. Would like an easier direct connection with Home Assistant so I can free up the Solar Assistant battery channel for my battery's BMS. I would have liked the bolts to be a fraction longer to enable use of the locking washer when directly connected to the Victron Lynx Power In.

Putting a 5mm board behind the Power In meant they can be mounted flush.

M4C0KKH.jpg

7xDE2Qu.jpg
Did you have to drill out the Power In tab to get the Smart Shunt bolt to fit through? Mine wouldn’t mate up and I Wasn’t ready to commit to drilling out the $200 buss bar.

I've found recently is doesnt change to 100% SOC after being on float for a while. Today I had to manually change it to show 100%, but then last week, it did it automatically after about 15-30mins of being at full charge (28.6V).

But apart from that, its great at giving the right SOC, bluetooth is rubbish, but I've got mine connected to a raspberry pi3 with Venus OS on it. Oh, and its a 10mm bolt whereas the batteries are 8mm bolts, so had to get the drill out on a cable to make the hole bigger.

I've found recently is doesnt change to 100% SOC after being on float for a while. Today I had to manually change it to show 100%, but then last week, it did it automatically after about 15-30mins of being at full charge (28.6V).

But apart from that, its great at giving the right SOC, bluetooth is rubbish, but I've got mine connected to a raspberry pi3 with Venus OS on it. Oh, and its a 10mm bolt whereas the batteries are 8mm bolts, so had to get the drill out on a cable to make the hole bigger.

If you're having issues with synchronization, you have not properly programmed the shunt charged voltage and tail current criteria.

No complaints here other than price as well. I agree it should be at the $99 range.

I'm not sure why some people are not having a good experience with Bluetooth range, it has a far longer range than any of my other Bluetooth equipped solar devices. I can connect to mine sitting on my couch, about 30 feet away and through 2 walls. No other device will so that for me, and most of them barely make it through the first wall, which is only about 6 feet.

Thank you for the replies.
I am learning stuff with just about every comment.
Still have a boatload to learn yet.
The older I get, the steeper the learning curve gets.

I'm not sure why some people are not having a good experience with Bluetooth range, it has a far longer range than any of my other Bluetooth equipped solar devices. I can connect to mine sitting on my couch, about 30 feet away and through 2 walls. No other device will so that for me, and most of them barely make it through the first wall, which is only about 6 feet.
I don't know why, either.
but I'm only 12' away, and no walls between.
Have tried two Smart Shunts, and 5 different phones and tablets.
Very rarely can I get connected, without moving closer.

• The shunt and the electric cables do negatively influence the range of the Bluetooth signal. The resulting range of 10-15 meters is however satisfactory in most cases. The proximity of other electrically conducting elements, such as the metal chassis of a vehicle or seawater around the hull of a boat, may reduce the range of the Bluetooth signal to an unacceptable level. The solution in such a case is to add a VE.Direct Bluetooth Dongle (ASS030536011) to the system, and switch off Bluetooth in the SmartShunt. Be aware that the VE.Direct Bluetooth Dongle will not support stored trends, Bluetooth GATT service and the Keep SOC option.

Did you have to drill out the Power In tab to get the Smart Shunt bolt to fit through? Mine wouldn’t mate up and I Wasn’t ready to commit to drilling out the $200 buss bar.
Yes. No big deal, it was quite an easy drill. Just need to flatten the surface after drilling or ream the drilled hole edges. I very lightly filed mine.

Back