diy solar

diy solar

Random solar drop outs during sun peak?

miltymoots

Hi folks

I have a 5.6kW 14 panel solar, SolarEdge Inverter and GivEnergy 9.5kW battery.

Whenever the sun comes out from behind clouds my system seems to fail. You can see in this pvOutput comparison to my neighbours system that they are peaking whilst mine is getting crushed or down completely (mine is dark green).

Screenshot 2023-02-03 at 23.39.28.png

During these moments the solarEdge inverter is throwing "Internal Error 185", which I believe is a "comm issue with energy meter". I am not sure if that is a cause or just being thrown because the inverter is doing something weird.

Where can I start to look as to the cause? Here's the DC output chart from today which shows drops during these sun peaks:

Screenshot 2023-02-04 at 00.01.36.png

I am a total novice to these things, so any advice of where to start would be really appreciated.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-02-03 at 18.08.35.png
    Screenshot 2023-02-03 at 18.08.35.png
    78.3 KB · Views: 2
There is a phenomenon known as "Edge of Cloud Lensing". As the sun emerges past the cloud edge there can be an magnifying effect that causes PV output to surge past its STC ratings. This is speculation only. Its possible that the SolarEdge inverter is clipping and reducing output due its rated PV input being exceeded.

It seems sustained though, would it not recover quickly then start to generate?

sure, but if the sunshine is sustained, surely this phenomenon wouldnt kill the system every time it reboots and only when the sun is edging out? I'm seeing it constantly fail during sustained sun

Back