diy solar

diy solar

Raspberry Pi not showing MPPT

pda1

'Just connected my Rasp 3B+ to my system using Venus os. That part works fine.

The BMV and MPPT are both connected with VE direct cables

The BMV-712 is found on Venus
The MPPT 150/60 is NOT found on Venus

I tried changing the cables but no difference.

Any ideas how to solve this?

Thanks

Both are homebrew cables.

However, I changed the MPPT setting- TX port function to normal and not "Virtual load" and the MPPT appears....but, of course it was dark outside so there was no figures from it.

See here
MPPT not recognized

That was the solution- MPPT setting- TX port function to normal communication.

The neat part was that I got the drive around all day and could watch the battery being charged on VRM. Now, I'll be able to see the PV charging too.

This is really a great system.

Rsp was SO easy to set up and configure. I'm not a techy....that's for sure. Only had to watch the offgrid garage guy assemble his Rsp and flash. Extremely easy. Honestly, the most difficult part was putting the Rsp into its case- the screws are really small.

It's curious you should mention that. Instinctively I had thought that "everything's going way to well" and that there's got to be some sort of problem. I'm watching the BMV to see what voltages are reported and will then put the volt meter on it.

Thanks for the suggestion.

It's curious you should mention that. Instinctively I had thought that "everything's going way to well" and that there's got to be some sort of problem. I'm watching the BMV to see what voltages are reported and will then put the volt meter on it.

Thanks for the suggestion.

It's not that curious. It's pretty well documented over at community... why I asked the same question both places... :p

Head honcho has very strong feelings:

It's not that curious. It's pretty well documented over at community... why I asked the same question both places... :p

Head honcho has very strong feelings:

FWIW, I make up my own ethernet/RJ45 cables for use on our LANs, and my own AC cables for various pieces of equipment, all the time. But for my solar monitoring equipment (e.g., a VE Direct cable) I buy the Victron cables and am happy to do so. As @sunshine_eggo notes, don't DIY that part of the system.

Well, as it's supposed to happen, the BMV -712 connection often "drops". That is- no data being sent to VRM. Rebooting using the console usually doesn't work. So, I have to shutdown then powerup the Rsp. Of well.

Back