diy solar

diy solar

Renogy 50 DC-DC MPPT & a DC Generator being built.

amazinghank

i watched your video on this Renogy product after I had purchased, got my Casita all wired up and the tow truck ('10 Tacoma V6) being wired now. So I also started building a DC Generator with a Honda Engine and a kit from Affordable DC Generators, that give you the platform to hook to the output shaft and a standard car/tractor alternator. I'm going to modify it to run on gas or propane (hate gas) just like i did on my Honda 2000i. The idea is that when I'm boon docking and don't want to hook up truck and run I can connect this DC generator to the Anderson connection on the trailer and power the Renogy 50 DC-DC. Will it work without having a truck battery present? I hate to wire another connection to my battery bank, if I can run through the Renogy conroller. Covid-19 has turned me into somkind of Geek! : )

Cool project!
Pictures would be awesome.
Video even better.
Can you please provide a link to the kit?
I can't say for sure that it will work but I would try it without.

This is the link for the Affordable DC Generators, and a very helpful team.
I did find out from Renogy that I need a battery in the system as it uses the starting battery as a "relay" ?? The system reads the voltage of that battery and doesn't "forward" the excess volts through to charge the trailer battery bank until that need has been met. I've message them back to see if a small 12v battery with the same charge level of 13.5v (I believe) is met. Seems like that would satisfy the DC-DC Charge controller. Renogy stated that to run without a battery, would/could damage the controller. I really didn't want to make another "pile" of wires and make another anderson coonection directly to the battery. I suppose I could put in 1 more battery switch to remember and directly to the batteries or directly to the DC-DC charge controller when coming off the truck alternator/battery. I think straping a small battery on the dc gen would be the simplist.

Attachments

• HOME _ DC GENERATORS.pdf
    3.6 MB · Views: 6
  • DC to DC MPPT Blueprint.jpg
    DC to DC MPPT Blueprint.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 6
I use one of these
with one of these
to similar effect.
Mine will very likely be quieter and I can power ac loads directly if needed.
Granted your Honda will outlast it many times over and maintenance on the inverter generator is a pita.

How many amps at 24v do you see charging? Curious about real life data....lots of people claiming a DC generator is faster so I would like to hear how many watts or amp/volt are you seeing in your charge with a quiet generator. Thank you.
~24 amps for the first stage and ~22 amps for the stage 2.
It says on the label that it is the 30 amp version but I think it is the 25 amp version.
I didn't get it through normal channels.
I have not really seem the limit for float.
I can't remember the rate fixed voltage mode.

Thank you, how does the generator sound? like it could do 50A? they have a 50A version x24v=1,200watt on a 2000wattAC generator sounds doable. What's your feeling? thank you for sharing
I've run a full tank through the generator with a 1440 watt load without problems.
The ambient temperature was ~34F though.
The 50amp@24volt powermax lists its draw at 1460 watts, should be ok.

Back