diy solar

diy solar

Renogy DCC30S/DCC50S 12V 30A/50A DUAL INPUT DC-DC ON-BOARD BATTERY CHARGER WITH MPPT

I see now why I didn't see it before. There is an almost identical switch that I had bookmarked. The one you sent the link to clearly has the neutral position. The one I had been looking at may or may not.

Yes, the switch allows you to not have to pass thru the selection where both input sources can hit the DCC30S simultaneously.

you should look at the typical max voltages of solar panels, often in excess of 19v.

I don’t know how you plan on limiting you solar panel to outputting only 12V.

that said, the DCC30S is fine, better thrives on things that up the power (I.e. watts, which is volts multiplied by amps). The built in MPPT solar controller (maximum power point tracker) is designed to alter the volts and amps input (without much affecting watts) to charge your house battery efficiently.

Cheaper PWM pulse width modulating controller tech can’t do this. Giving off excess power as heat.

Yes, the switch allows you to not have to pass thru the selection where both input sources can hit the DCC30S simultaneously.

you should look at the typical max voltages of solar panels, often in excess of 19v.

that said, the DCC30S is fine, better thrives on things that up the power (I.e. watts, which is volts multiplied by amps). The built in MPPT solar controller (maximum power point tracker) is designed to alter the volts and amps input (without much affecting watts) to charge your house battery efficiently.

Cheaper PWM pulse width modulating controller tech can’t do this. Giving off excess power as heat.

I'll remember your comment when I go shopping for / researching panels. I've read somewhere that PV voltage can vary some. Never heard of 19V. Is that from panels with the usual 12V nominal specs? I haven't read the DCC30 manual yet but I saw a Will Prowse video wherein he laments the voltage limitation being 25.something V. Until I get more info or get closer to that bridge I'm going to hope that staying with the usual, garden variety, nominally 12V panels in parallel will work out. I imagine that if there was much potential for them putting out problematically high voltage I'd be seeing mention of it in the forum.

-I'll remember your advice when I go shopping for / researching panels. I've read somewhere that PV voltage can vary some. Never heard of 19V. Is that from panels with the usual 12V nominal specs? I haven't read the DCC30 manual yet but I saw a Will Prowse video wherein he laments the voltage limitation being 25.something V. Until I get more info or get closer to that bridge I'm going to hope that staying with the usual, garden variety, nominally 12V panels in parallel will work out. I imagine that if there was much potential for them putting out problematically high voltage I'd be seeing mention of it in the forum.
-Ordered the switch you put me onto. Looks like they make 3 or 4 that look the same at a glance. Actually ordered the wrong one and had to cancel and very deliberately reorder the right one. Here's hoping. And thanks.

i have the DCC50S and 4 100 watt renogy panels and 200 AH of fortune batteries from overkillsolar hooked up to a 700 watt pure sine inverter.works marvelous.and a 240 amp high output alternator all in a 06 E-250.
its a freaking blast.go anywhere i want off grid camping.
about six monthes now.everything stayed charged all winter.no problems,plenty of power,have not started the van in over a month.

i have the DCC50S and 4 100 watt renogy panels and 200 AH of fortune batteries from overkillsolar hooked up to a 700 watt pure sine inverter.works marvelous.and a 240 amp high output alternator all in a 06 E-250.
about six monthes now.everything stayed charged all winter.no problems,plenty of power,have not started the van in over a month.
Big alternator! Lucky you. But then i guess if your DCC50 is limiting what you can draw... I have not completed my setup yet. Gathering the bits and pieces. In a year or so I'll be looking to sell my Roadtrek and its AGM setup and move the pots and pans into the next hole in the road. Nice to hear that 200Ah of lithium gets you through whatever is needed.

Hi @nwillitts. Would you be so kind as to provide a link to your pure sine inverter?

Where (I presume the PV input) have you hooked it up on your DCC50S and how do you manage (if you even need to) the inverter's power and that of your solar array, if in fact both on the same circuit?

Thanks.

-I'll remember your advice when I go shopping for / researching panels. I've read somewhere that PV voltage can vary some. Never heard of 19V. Is that from panels with the usual 12V nominal specs? I haven't read the DCC30 manual yet but I saw a Will Prowse video wherein he laments the voltage limitation being 25.something V. Until I get more info or get closer to that bridge I'm going to hope that staying with the usual, garden variety, nominally 12V panels in parallel will work out. I imagine that if there was much potential for them putting out problematically high voltage I'd be seeing mention of it in the forum.
-Ordered the switch you put me onto. Looks like they make 3 or 4 that look the same at a glance. Actually ordered the wrong one and had to cancel and very deliberately reorder the right one. Here's hoping. And thanks.
"Is that [voltage in excess of 12V] from panels with the usual 12V nominal specs? "

Yes. Metrics for solar panels are recorded under a standard ideal condition state of sunshine, temperature, and time of day and routine produce in excess of 12V under not only these, but more ordinary conditions. As we speak, my solar panel is putting out in excess of 19V (it is sunny today.)

Your welcome on the switch. I am curious as to what @nwillits has to say about how he's set things up, particularly in regard to a potential concurrent use of solar and his inverter, on what *might* be the same PV input on the DCC50S.

:)

"Is that [voltage in excess of 12V] from panels with the usual 12V nominal specs? "

Yes. Metrics for solar panels are recorded under a standard ideal condition state of sunshine, temperature, and time of day and routine produce in excess of 12V under not only these, but more ordinary conditions. As we speak, my solar panel is putting out in excess of 19V (it is sunny today.)

Your welcome on the switch. I am curious as to what @nwillits has to say about how he's set things up, particularly in regard to a potential concurrent use of solar and his inverter, on what *might* be the same PV input on the DCC50S.

I hadn't heard that acronym before. PSU. Looks like something specific to computers? I suppose there's some advantage over just plugging into an inverter.

-Some years ago I had the regulator on my garden tractor malfunction. Blew 2 PTO fuses before I checked the voltage at the battery. It was putting out 16++V. 20$ for a new regulator put it right. So if PV can put out wildly untoward voltages would it not be possible to put a regulator in between them and the MPPT?

Hi @nwillitts. Would you be so kind as to provide a link to your pure sine inverter?

Where (I presume the PV input) have you hooked it up on your DCC50S and how do you manage (if you even need to) the inverter's power and that of your solar array, if in fact both on the same circuit?

Thanks.
the inverter i am using.

the PV is hooked in to the DCC50S via the PV inputs.
the solar panels keep up with power demands nicely.
not sure what the question is.

the inverter i am using.

the PV is hooked in to the DCC50S via the PV inputs.
the solar panels keep up with power demands nicely.
not sure what the question is.
The question is if you concurrently have both the solar panels and inverter connected to the PV inputs of the Renogy DCC50/30S and if you’ve ever had a problem with both devices (panels and inverter) providing power on the PV inputs simultaneously.

thanks

The question is if you concurrently have both the solar panels and inverter connected to the PV inputs of the Renogy DCC50/30S and if you’ve ever had a problem with both devices (panels and inverter) providing power on the PV inputs simultaneously.

thanks
yes.panels to dcc-dcc to batts,batts to inverter.no problems.should i expect a problem?works very well.inverter is NOT directly connected to pv in.that would be foolish.

yes.panels to dcc-dcc to batts,batts to inverter.no problems.should i expect a problem?works very well.inverter is NOT directly connected to pv in.that would be foolish.
So, if I understand you correctly, you do NOT input your inverter on to the DCC50/30S’s PV, or any other ports directly, but rather directly on to the terminals of the house battery directly?

no judgements..Im just trying to learn :)

And the only downside to that being that your inverter won’t trickle charge your starter battery, right

So, if I understand you correctly, you do NOT input your inverter on to the DCC50/30S’s PV, or any other ports directly, but rather directly on to the terminals of the house battery directly?

no judgements..Im just trying to learn :)
yes.battery powers everything.dcc is charger,

And the only downside to that being that your inverter won’t trickle charge your starter battery, right
inverter does not charge-only DCC does charging.starter battery charges from dcc solar with or without house batts.

@nwillits: maybe I'm stupid, maybe English isn't your first language--itself by no means a crime or any gauge as to the content of your character, or maybe you're trying to abbreviate your answers, but regardess:

I read what you say and I say to myself...."huh? What the **** is this guy saying?"

Were going to try this another way. Lets keep this simple and stupid.

Yes or no: do you connect your inverter directly to the terminals of your house battery?

Don't add any more...you're apt to make things more confusing. Just yes or no.

Think I'm out of line, okay, let's review, I ask..

Arbee said:

thanks

And you respond:

yes [ I concurrently have both the solar panels and inverter connected to the PV inputs of the Renogy DCC50/30S}

[but wait, you don't, you actually have the]

panels to dcc-dcc [what does this mean dcc-dcc, do you mean the the panels are connected to the DCC50/30S product and if so, where, at the PV input or elsewhere?]

to batts, batts to inverter.no problems.should i expect a problem?works very well.inverter is NOT directly connected to pv in.that would be foolish.

Okay, so you've just contradicted yourself. You don't have both the solar panels and inverted connected to the PV input of the DCC50/30S.

Then I ask

Arbee said:
and you reply

"inverter does not charge-only DCC does charging.starter battery charges from dcc solar with or without house batts."

So the inverter does not charge? okay so it just sits in a box...what the heck are you talking about?

"only DCC does charging" okay DCC, does that mean the DCC50S, and if that only does charging where the heck is your inverter hooked up to....again, it must just sit in a box.

the you say "starter battery charges from dcc solar with or without house batts."

this I think I can actually understand only it goes against the DCC50S' product manual and is wrong!!! The solar panels trickle charge the starter battery if it needs charge and the house battery is first charged.

@nwillits: please, take a class in reading comprehensive and writing. Never ever teach a class on how to operate a nuclear power plant.

I bust my hump to write extremely straight forward stuff here that leaves the reader clear as what to do, or not do. You don't f*** with electricity.

You write crap. Really, no kidding, are you a troll?

@nwillits: maybe I'm stupid, maybe English isn't your first language--itself by no means a crime or any gauge as to the content of your character, or maybe you're trying to abbreviate your answers, but regardess:

I read what you say and I say to myself...."huh? What the **** is this guy saying?"

Yes or no: do you connect your inverter directly to the terminals of your house battery?

And you respond:

yes [ I concurrently have both the solar panels and inverter connected to the PV inputs of the Renogy DCC50/30S}

panels to dcc-dcc [what does this mean dcc-dcc, do you mean the the panels are connected to the DCC50/30S product and if so, where, at the PV input or elsewhere?]

to batts, batts to inverter.no problems.should i expect a problem?works very well.inverter is NOT directly connected to pv in.that would be foolish.

Okay, so you've just contradicted yourself. You don't have both the solar panels and inverted connected to the PV input of the DCC50/30S.

Then I ask

and you reply

"inverter does not charge-only DCC does charging.starter battery charges from dcc solar with or without house batts."

So the inverter does not charge? okay so it just sits in a box...what the heck are you talking about?

"only DCC does charging" okay DCC, does that mean the DCC50S, and if that only does charging where the heck is your inverter hooked up to....again, it must just sit in a box.

the you say "starter battery charges from dcc solar with or without house batts."

this I think I can actually understand only it goes against the DCC50S' product manual and is wrong!!! The solar panels trickle charge the starter battery if it needs charge and the house battery is first charged.

@nwillits: please, take a class in reading comprehensive and writing. Never ever teach a class on how to operate a nuclear power plant.

I bust my hump to write extremely straight forward stuff here that leaves the reader clear as what to do, or not do. You don't f*** with electricity.

He must be talking about an inverter/charger. Connecting inverter AC output to the PV input would be catastrophic, no?

And you respond:

Then I ask

and you reply

This is the best post ever. Like a 'Who's on first', routine.

Back