diy solar

diy solar

Renogy DCC50S with 600W of Solar?

jsmit209

I'm very interested in using the Renogy DCC50S as a simple solution for solar and alternator charging. It is capable of handling up to 660W of solar, but Will recommends 400W in his schematics, due to the low voltage limit (<25v) and the inability of MC4 connectors to handle over 30a.

My question is - How can I safely connect 600W of solar to this device? I've ordered six 100W panels for the roof of my fan, and I'd like to utilize them all. Will I need to get a second solar charge controller to handle the extra 200W?

I suggest a MPPT quality solar controller for the all solar panels that can be configured for a higher voltage, two parallel strings of 3 panels. Just use the DCC50 for engine charging. You will get a better performance from a separate solar controller in all conditions.
Renogy products are not what you would recommend to a friend.

Mike

Do you have a link?

To Mike's point, there are other DC-DC options besides the DCC50. I would not spend the premium for the DC-DC+MPPT if you plan to use separate MPPT.

Worth noting the DCC50 only provides 25A of each if both are present and 50A of one or the other if only one availbale. A Victron 100/50 (or other equivalent) would make a 3S2P array practical, allow use of branch "Y" connectors and eliminate any need for fuses/breakers.

To Mike's point, there are other DC-DC options besides the DCC50. I would not spend the premium for the DC-DC+MPPT if you plan to use separate MPPT.

Worth noting the DCC50 only provides 25A of each if both are present and 50A of one or the other if only one availbale. A Victron 100/50 (or other equivalent) would make a 3S2P array practical, allow use of branch "Y" connectors and eliminate any need for fuses/breakers.
Excellent! I actually just bought a Victron 100/50 and a Renogy 40a DC-DC. Probably gonna send back the DCC50S. I do appreciate the trickle back charge to the starter battery, but the complication with the solar voltage is too much.

Back