diy solar

diy solar

Renogy Support on a failed inverter...

Renogy sucks x1000

I no longer carry their products. I actually just gave away my last Renogy dc-dc converter for free because I couldn't in good conscious sell it. If one of my customers has a Renogy product fail, i replace it with a different brand at no cost.

Nowadays their prices are not that attractive. Much better hardware (with support) can be had at a competitive price.

Renogy sucks x1000

I no longer carry their products. I actually just gave away my last Renogy dc-dc converter for free because I couldn't in good conscious sell it. If one of my customers has a Renogy product fail, i replace it with a different brand at no cost.

Nowadays their prices are not that attractive. Much better hardware (with support) can be had at a competitive price.
That’s smart thinking. In several harbors, I was unofficial go to guy. When I saw Renogy or Magnum parts….. after few cursory checks I’d usually take my cap off and say “I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but this needs to be replaced with Victron”.

That’s smart thinking. In several harbors, I was unofficial go to guy. When I saw Renogy or Magnum parts….. after few cursory checks I’d usually take my cap off and say “I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but this needs to be replaced with Victron”.
did you honestly attempt to equate magnum to Renogy? maybe you should not touch any solar systems period. Victron is good gear, but the only advantage it has over magnum os its communications protocols with other victron gear. something magnum stopped at after the ability to parallel.

My opinion is, the only good Magnum’s (inverters) are the old ones and they are reaching natural attrition. Lots of them are found in big aluminum houseboats, those are worth giving a second chance, because they were built like a tank. Usually it’s caps or a mosfet not logic. For other newer models, I or my friends have better things to do than try to get parts or have them repaired only to do it again. Since Magnum started making them in Mexico it’s been down hill, unless something has changed recently. For that reason I won’t touch any other offerings they have. Victron just plain works and stays working and is easy to repair, diagnose or replace in the rare case of failure. If you are having better luck and Magnum has improved, please enlighten me.

did you honestly attempt to equate magnum to Renogy? maybe you should not touch any solar systems period. Victron is good gear, but the only advantage it has over magnum os its communications protocols with other victron gear. something magnum stopped at after the ability to parallel.
I do really like their ability to do percentage of load management grid/battery/generator.

It stinks when the mfg wont warranty their brand. I warranty all my work and components for 2 years. I keep an inventory of components and can get someone back online asap. That being said, i only work with vendors that have the same philosophy.

I have not needed to warranty anything from Magnum, but i see alot of their product in the field. I always thought they were quality. Hopefully their recent troubles you describe can be turned around quickly.

No no I did not look at some of my prior posts…. That was sensata’s fault not the gear. Renogy is not even close to magnum level equipment wise. FYI they are back up and taking tech requests
Good to know, if come up on another, I might not be so quick to write it off.

Good to know, if come up on another, I might not be so quick to write it off.
Built in Mexico is not a big deal70%+ of the parts were made there any way. The balance being control cards made in us and Taiwan. It was assembled in us with X% of parts from us for tax and sales purposes. Real issues are that a lot of the people who designed it have left for greener pastures since sensata bought them out. As such tech help is not as good as it was pre Covid

And not to mention Magnum’s Art Deco design! Toss in some big beautiful analog meters and I’m in love!

your post is not at all surprising and is the typical procedure with Renogy wear you down with BS until you give up. We had a customer with a brand new Renogy AGM that could only deliver 72% of its rated capacity. Renogy never did warranty his battery.

Attachments

• IMG_0119.jpeg
    IMG_0119.jpeg
    114 KB · Views: 3
Back