diy solar

diy solar

Renogy 3000W Inverter Charger cooked my AGM batteries

You have to set the victron mppt to a gel/AGM appropriate mode

Cool. I've got that because I already had AGM prior to these. Anything else? It doesn't need something to say, "hey these are new batteries, not the old ones"?

Cool. I've got that because I already had AGM prior to these. Anything else? It doesn't need something to say, "hey these are new batteries, not the old ones"?

No not really. Maybe reset your victron shunt cause it's monitoring new battery , possibly a new capacity to set ?

Update:

We decided, due to lack of time (moving into the bus tomorrow morning and need to leave our house), that we are going to skip having an inverter/charger for now until I have more time to get Victron set up. We replaced our batteries with new AGM batteries (ugh. I so was hoping to have lithium be my next upgrade, but don't have the budget at the moment).

Question: I have a Victron MPPT and Victron BMV-700 battery monitor. Do I need to do anything specific to tell these two that these are new batteries? Or is it basically just plug and play? I'd read through the manual, but since we're moving in the morning, I'm a bit slammed at the moment.

Yes.

You have to set the victron mppt to a gel/AGM appropriate mode

FWIW, GEL and AGM are quite different. Most GEL shouldn't be charged above 14.0-14.2V while many AGM need 14.6-14.8.

@Beeb1 the best option is to set to a custom profile specific to your battery manufacturer's specifications.

If your MPPT is smart solar, you need to get a Smart Battery Sense and put it into a VE.Smart bluetooth network with your MPPT. This will pass voltage and temperature data to the MPPT for temperature compensated charging, which is required for all lead acid for proper charging and health. If your batteries are in a temperature controlled environment, then you don't need temperature compensation.

It might also be beneficial to get a VE.Direct bluetooth smart dongle for your BMV-700. You could add the BMV to the VE.Smart network, so your MPPT gets voltage, current and temperature readings from both devices. Yes. Nickel and diming you to death. :p

If you link the battery specifications, I can give you the correct settings for both devices.

SLR125
Nominal Voltage
20Hr Capacity
RC (min)
Energy
(kWH)
Terminal Posts
Dimensions
Weight
Charging Current*
Charging Voltage
Float Voltage
12V
125AH
8mm (M8*1.25)
12.9"w x 6.8"d x 8.5"h(8.7"th**)
75lb
8A-35A
14.4-14.9V
13.5V-13.8V
Recommended Charging Options:
  • AC Chargers: Any Quality Brand AGM- Smart & Microprocessor controlled- charger with the recommended specs above can be used.
  • Vehicle Alternator: 14V-15V.
  • RV Converter: 14V-15V.
  • Solar Panel: 175W-450W (120W may be used if Depth of Discharge would not exceed 50%).
  • Wind Turbine: 175W-450W.
  • Charge Controller: 20-UP.
* Warning: Do not use a charger with smaller amperage than the recommended Charging Current shown above.
Maintainers should ONLY be used to maintain a fully charged battery but NEVER as a charger.

Operating Temperature Range:

• Discharge: -4~140F
  • Charge: 14~140F
  • Storage: -4~140F
Temperature Compensation:

• Cycle use: -30mV/C
  • Standby use: -20mV/C

MPPT:
Absorption: 14.6 (mid-range voltage for reduced stress)
Float: 13.8V (ensures battery is truly topped off after absorption ends)
Fixed absorption time, 4hr
Tail current: 7.5A*
Temperature compensation -30mV/°C**

BMV:

Defaults except:
Charged voltage: 14.4V (0.2V below absorption)
Tail current: 3%*

These values will be far more meaningful if you get the BMV into a VE.Smart network with the MPPT.
**This can only be used if you feed the MPPT valid temperature data. You can't rely on the MPPT's internal temp sensor. If you don't have a temperature sensor, you must disable temperature compensation, which will mistreat your battery.

They should NEVER be charged at more than 105A. 75A is more reasonable and 38A is preferred.

I just looked all over my MPPT, and I don't see any input for a temperature gauge. Where does that plug in? Does it go in the same place where the USB adapter connects? That's the only open slot I see. I have the 100|50 MPPT.

I just looked all over my MPPT, and I don't see any input for a temperature gauge. Where does that plug in? Does it go in the same place where the USB adapter connects? That's the only open slot I see. I have the 100|50 MPPT.

The MPPT does not accept a temperature sensor. Per my posts above, you need a Smart Battery sense in a VE.Smart network with the MPPT.

I had a small 20-amp renogy rover charging a single 12-volt AGM deep cycle battery before I went with lithium. Never had any trouble with overcharging just set it to gel battery. I also had a flooded battery before that just a deep cycle battery I had laying around. The issue I had was when they got 3/4 charged before the sun went behind my neighbor's trees. The Lithium charged so much faster by the time the sun was behind his trees it was charged.

I installed another one in a friend's small travel trailer he had a single interstate deep cycle flooded battery it worked great with 200 watts of solar and Renogy rover was more than enough. Those little trailers all 12 V they use very little power I left the vent fan going to a week never saw the battery get discharged passed 3/4.

Sorry to hear of your loss. Glad to hear no fire was started.

Long story short, I started with a full Renogy setup and have since replaced every piece except for a couple of solar panels.

I wasted so much time, energy and money trying to get Renogy things to work right. Cheap price+poor design = expensive lessons.

Replace with Victron and you’ll have no regrets. The Multiplus line is exactly that, shore charger plus solar charge controller. Or it’s cheaper to go individual units and add your own switch.
Not even Victron are absolutely safe. I have two 150/85 mppt's, two Multiplus 3000/12/150-20 Inverters a Lynxx Distributor all wired & fused correctly. Two weeks ago, smelt burning, ran outside smoke pouring from solar cabinet in our bus. Got the fire out, and found one of the MPPT had self ignited. Supplier sent me a brand new one, no questions. Victron flicked my email seeking answers straight back to the supplier. They weren't interested in even communicating with me.

I am now installing PXL_20231203_025151289.jpgPXL_20231203_034912721.jpgPXL_20231203_025228453.jpga Blazecut fire suppression system just in case.

How lucky were we, not to have been asleep and now dead! New motto.... Plan for disaster, prepare for it no matter the cost.

Not even Victron are absolutely safe. I have two 150/85 mppt's, two Multiplus 3000/12/150-20 Inverters a Lynxx Distributor all wired & fused correctly. Two weeks ago, smelt burning, ran outside smoke pouring from solar cabinet in our bus. Got the fire out, and found one of the MPPT had self ignited. Supplier sent me a brand new one, no questions. Victron flicked my email seeking answers straight back to the supplier. They weren't interested in even communicating with me.

I am now installing View attachment 182568View attachment 182567View attachment 182566a Blazecut fire suppression system just in case.

How lucky were we, not to have been asleep and now dead! New motto.... Plan for disaster, prepare for it no matter the cost.
Took me days to clean out the dry powder, replace damaged wiring and check and clean all the rest of the Equipment too. Lol

I am now installing View attachment 182568View attachment 182567View attachment 182566a Blazecut fire suppression system just in case.

Oh wow, that sucks! AFAIK, Victron won't communicate directly with consumers, they only will talk with the dealers. It comes across to some of us as rude or uncaring, but that is just their business model. So what did the seller/dealer say as to what they think the cause was? Or did you have the fire department inspect it and see if they could tell what caused it to ignite? A fly or moth in the wrong place (or mouse) has been known to cause fires like this.

Took me days to clean out the dry powder, replace damaged wiring and check and clean all the rest of the Equipment too. Lol
Any idea what caused it was the MPPT voltage close to the max rating? I read some threads here even getting close to the max voltage can fry things. I assumed there was protection in these things would shut down, but I guess not.

Any idea what caused it was the MPPT voltage close to the max rating? I read some threads here even getting close to the max voltage can fry things. I assumed there was protection in these things would shut down, but I guess not.
Nope there is not protection against too high voltage in most charge controllers.

The PV voltage will go up as the ambient temperature drops. The Voc listed on the back of the panel is listed for 77F. At 40F, the voltage will be higher, at 15F even higher and at 0F even higher.

So if at 80F you have three panels in series that makes 90V into a 100V controller, you’ll surely go over that 100V if the temperature drops much. How cold can you go in that setup? There are solar calculators to tell you. But my recollection is something like 50F would be over the limit in that case.

If that happens, POOF the magic smoke is released and you’re shopping for a new controller.

There are a few very expensive high end charge controllers that do have some protection built in, but most controllers, even high quality ones, do not have this.

From my understanding, the magic smoke is released almost instantaneously when you get too close or go over the input voltage limit.

Likely because it has no idea the batteries were at 100% since there's no communication between the devices, and it was charging based on its own criteria.

Your AGM have almost certainly sustained damage in the form of electrolyte loss, reduced capacity and increased internal resistance. I wouldn't write them off, but the outlook isn't good.

If you do not have AC connected to the input of the inverter, it can't charge.

probably

Probably, but that may not be its fault.

The likely explanation is that the inverter/charger wasn't configured properly.

A link to the charger manual would be very helpful.
I noticed that you don't mention what type of controllers. If they were also Renogy then maybe I need to point out that Renogy specifically says that the only controllers they have that run in parallel are their 100 amp controllers. All others will miscommunicate and either not charge or overcharge batteries. I became aware of this when I ran two of their 40 amp rover MPPT controllers in parallel and toasted 3 255 amp hour AGM's. and I agree with everybody who said money spent on Renogy is wasted money. Eventually, you will have to replace the equipment with something of quality.

I noticed that you don't mention what type of controllers.

Doesn't matter.

If they were also Renogy then maybe I need to point out that Renogy specifically says that the only controllers they have that run in parallel are their 100 amp controllers.

I have yet to find something Renogy says to be accurate.

All others will miscommunicate and either not charge or overcharge batteries. I became aware of this when I ran two of their 40 amp rover MPPT controllers in parallel and toasted 3 255 amp hour AGM's. and I agree with everybody who said money spent on Renogy is wasted money. Eventually, you will have to replace the equipment with something of quality.

Oh wow, that sucks! AFAIK, Victron won't communicate directly with consumers, they only will talk with the dealers. It comes across to some of us as rude or uncaring, but that is just their business model. So what did the seller/dealer say as to what they think the cause was? Or did you have the fire department inspect it and see if they could tell what caused it to ignite? A fly or moth in the wrong place (or mouse) has been known to cause fires like this.
Supplier said it was too damaged to be sure as to cause, other than agreeing with me, it started about half way up the unit, definitely not at the cabling inputs.

Back