diy solar

diy solar

Renogy 3000W Inverter Charger cooked my AGM batteries

When it's hanging in my basement, RV storage, or the boat I don't give a crap what it looks like. It just better work!

I agree, but what about buying it in the first place? What if you went to a solar equipment dealers website and there were no photos and just a single line of text? You know, like in the early days of the www? Would you have bought it if you couldn't see it first? There's a reason why department stores, even in small towns, have "display windows"...to entice you.

I'm a rare bird. With WWW I'm educated before I leave the house. Now back in the day I had to ask for literature and get sales then ask again for the engineering documents and wiring diagrams. ?

Yeah you're smarter than the rest of us, lol. The rest of us are just pulled by marketing wizardry all the time. As was once said, "The only way to win, is to not to play the game."

But I did play the game and clicked "buy now" and ended up with all that Renogy stuff. Had I come to this forum first and learned from all the smart people like you who has the skills to read things like engineering docs, I would have bought differently from the get go. The good news is the resale price for used Renogy stuff is still pretty high.

The good news is the resale price for used Renogy stuff is still pretty high.
There are a lot of uneducated people that buy from marketing materials. Years ago I sold geothermal heat pumps. We had a class on sales and one of the points was that people spend less time picking their HVAC system (about 15 minutes) than the kitchen cabinets!

There are a lot of uneducated people that buy from marketing materials. Years ago I sold geothermal heat pumps. We had a class on sales and one of the points was that people spend less time picking their HVAC system (about 15 minutes) than the kitchen cabinets!

Lol, yeah because they don't care about the HVAC system unless it breaks one day, then they care a lot, depending on the weather. But kitchen cabinets are something you look at everyday and my wife and I have come to know it as "externally referencing". Which means that self-esteem is bolstered by what we see outside of us. Which is not the best way to build self-esteem, but it's what many/most people do without realizing it.

Which is what I did when I bought Renogy, lol.

I once worked with a guy who's job was selling high-end kitchens. That's all he did and he had more work than he could do, I think he was booked out at least 2 years. He told me he required that both adult members of the household (usually a man and a woman) to be present at their first meeting. He said it was a lot of psychology to get both people to buy in. Usually the woman was very excited about having the kitchen of her dreams and the man just saw it as a really expensive thing to do. So he had to basically do a couples therapy session with them to get her to see her husband's perspective and to get him to see hers. He said usually the woman could see her husband's perspective pretty quickly and he ended up spending most of the time basically convincing him the old adage, "A happy wife makes a happy life," and to stop grumbling about it. He said it would be much easier to do so if the woman really could convey her understanding and empathy for how expensive this was and how much she appreciated him for even considering it. If she was of the more demanding type, it might not fly. He said if he couldn't get both people on board, then he wouldn't take the job. Smart man.

So that leaves an opening in the market. I would love to see Renogy and Victron merge. The design people at Renogy stay and everyone else goes, including the customer support. Everything else would stay the same with Victron and they’d be at the helm. Just don’t let them have any crayons, especially blue ones.

You could try squeeze some victron kit into renogy boxes ?

You could try squeeze some victron kit into renogy boxes ?

Lol, I'm too cheap for that. And I don't think the insides of my Victron inverter (1000W) would fit in the casing of my previous Renogy 2000W.

I suppose some spray paint could fix some things.

Now the Victron Multiplus units don't have that blimp shape. I think that's what I detest more than the blue. It's why hairstyles and clothing and cars all change every year. My Victron inverter with it's blue blimp look, looks like it was designed in 1940.

Lol, I'm too cheap for that. And I don't think the insides of my Victron inverter (1000W) would fit in the casing of my previous Renogy 2000W.

I suppose some spray paint could fix some things.

Now the Victron Multiplus units don't have that blimp shape. I think that's what I detest more than the blue. It's why hairstyles and clothing and cars all change every year. My Victron inverter with it's blue blimp look, looks like it was designed in 1940.

Hahahaha! ?

You know honestly I don't care one bit , it doesn't matter to me AT ALL ?

I bought a 1000w renogy inverter because of the looks. They sure trick you. Just looks solid and makes me think the insides must be solid too.

As an example, what if you designed a car that drove like a Porsche but looked like a Geo Metro? And priced slightly less than an actual Porsche. How well do you think those would sell? Because that’s what my Victron devices are: high powered with smooth operation but fugly as heck.

And such was the start of Tesla.
Somebody said, "Who would buy THAT?"
Turned out, Tom Hanks. That's who.

But put a sexy British Roadster body on it, and we're all drooling over it.

I would have loved a Geo Metro that drove like a Porsche - not at Porsche prices though. My Geo delivered year after year. Donated it with 539,000 miles and only major repairs was a head gasket in the 400K miles range. Went through clutches often but not due to wearing out but breaking (hub springs 2x, clutch cover diaphragm spring 1x). 3 cyl engine had too much vibration. 1600 lb car though scooted fine with the 5 spd stick. Porsche repairs would have bought the Metro probably 50X over. All while getting nearly 50 MPG.

BTW, have you looked inside your Victron inverter? That toroid is huge and constitutes most of the volume. Hard to package that and look good.

Well, if you don't like the way Blue looks you can always hang some pretty cabinet doors over it!??

Lol, I would if I had room. It's a tiny little space where the inverter, charge and battery all co-exist. There ain't room for anything else to fit in there. But that is a good idea nonetheless.

I would have loved a Geo Metro that drove like a Porsche - not at Porsche prices though. My Geo delivered year after year. Donated it with 539,000 miles and only major repairs was a head gasket in the 400K miles range. Went through clutches often but not due to wearing out but breaking (hub springs 2x, clutch cover diaphragm spring 1x). 3 cyl engine had too much vibration. 1600 lb car though scooted fine with the 5 spd stick. Porsche repairs would have bought the Metro probably 50X over. All while getting nearly 50 MPG.

BTW, have you looked inside your Victron inverter? That toroid is huge and constitutes most of the volume. Hard to package that and look good.

Well if you tell someone, before they see it, "This car drives like a Porsche!" Then walk them out to the car and show them what looks like a Metro, they are going to be pissed. Then they drive it and will probably piss their pants laughing so hard because it does drive like a Porsche! Not to say it would be mechanically possible to make such a car, but acting as if it were possible.

Yeah that big ol' toroid in there does give it a lot of height. But they could've squared out the edges or something and made it look like it wasn't designed in the 1940's.

And such was the start of Tesla.
Somebody said, "Who would buy THAT?"
Turned out, Tom Hanks. That's who.

But put a sexy British Roadster body on it, and we're all drooling over it.

That's a cool story, I had no idea Tom Hank's likes lottery tickets and beef jerky, but only from gas stations.

The eBox car pictured in that story, now THAT is something I would buy, I suppose depending on price. Around here, driving a Tesla puts a certain label on your head. They're way too "futuristic" looking, imo. I'm not well verse on British sportscars, though.

So that leaves an opening in the market. I would love to see Renogy and Victron merge. The design people at Renogy stay and everyone else goes, including the customer support.
If by design people you mean the guy who peels a sticker and puts it on another manufacturers crap…..

If by design people you mean the guy who peels a sticker and puts it on another manufacturers crap…..
Yes that’s almost what I mean. Except the manufacturer in this case (Victron) isn’t making crap. Renogy has visual curb appeal but that’s about it.

Update:

We decided, due to lack of time (moving into the bus tomorrow morning and need to leave our house), that we are going to skip having an inverter/charger for now until I have more time to get Victron set up. We replaced our batteries with new AGM batteries (ugh. I so was hoping to have lithium be my next upgrade, but don't have the budget at the moment).

Question: I have a Victron MPPT and Victron BMV-700 battery monitor. Do I need to do anything specific to tell these two that these are new batteries? Or is it basically just plug and play? I'd read through the manual, but since we're moving in the morning, I'm a bit slammed at the moment.

Question: I have a Victron MPPT and Victron BMV-700 battery monitor. Do I need to do anything specific to tell these two that these are new batteries? Or is it basically just plug and play? I'd read through the manual, but since we're moving in the morning, I'm a bit slammed at the moment.

You have to set the victron mppt to a gel/AGM appropriate mode

Back