diy solar

diy solar

Renogy Support on a failed inverter...

spurgelaurels

I woke up one day to my inverter beeping wildly, fans on then off, then on, before it completely shut off.
I checked the batteries, they were holding at 13.4v, and with the inverter off, my system seemed quite happy and fine.
I left it a while, thinking it was heat related, then turned the inverter back on. No AC on the AC side. Battery still fine. Occasionally the AC side would turn back on, but mostly it stayed off. This tells me it's a recurring issue shutting down in the inverter, or that it's an intermittent failure.

I called Renogy, and wow. You folks have always said "Renogy is great, but their support is AWFUL" and now I know.

I spent a month back and forth, sending them graphs, readings, videos... They had me run some additional tests which ended up shorting my batteries in the inverter somewhere, and drained my batteries down into BMS shut-off zone. I disconnected the inverter and took a few days to get the batteries to recover. They've been stable for a while now.

Then, Renogy asks me to repeat that test. And send a video of my batteries. What, to make sure they don't light on fire?
Just RMA THIS THING!

Thanks for letting me vent.

Ouch. They should at least let you send it end so THEY can test it at this point. If you can't get the customer "tested" in a day via phone, two tops, then its rma time. Anything else is hoping the customer will give up and leave you alone.

Ouch. They should at least let you send it end so THEY can test it at this point. If you can't get the customer "tested" in a day via phone, two tops, then its rma time. Anything else is hoping the customer will give up and leave you alone.
Which makes a person wonder that they know they have an inferior piece of equipment or just don't care.
So much from learning from their broken equipment.

I woke up one day to my inverter beeping wildly, fans on then off, then on, before it completely shut off.
I checked the batteries, they were holding at 13.4v, and with the inverter off, my system seemed quite happy and fine.
I left it a while, thinking it was heat related, then turned the inverter back on. No AC on the AC side. Battery still fine. Occasionally the AC side would turn back on, but mostly it stayed off. This tells me it's a recurring issue shutting down in the inverter, or that it's an intermittent failure.

I called Renogy, and wow. You folks have always said "Renogy is great, but their support is AWFUL" and now I know.

I spent a month back and forth, sending them graphs, readings, videos... They had me run some additional tests which ended up shorting my batteries in the inverter somewhere, and drained my batteries down into BMS shut-off zone. I disconnected the inverter and took a few days to get the batteries to recover. They've been stable for a while now.

Then, Renogy asks me to repeat that test. And send a video of my batteries. What, to make sure they don't light on fire?
Just RMA THIS THING!

Thanks for letting me vent.

Sorry to hear that.

At this point I would request a supervisor. If you’ve already done that and they sent you to one, ask again.

We had to get to Tier 3 support with Renogy before we reached someone who knew what they were talking about. They had us run the tests, but it took maybe a day or two, not a whole month. But it did take a few days to finally get to Tier 3.

Either the person you’re dealing with doesn’t want to admit they don’t know what they’re doing or they’ve been instructed to try to wear you down until you just quit. Which is just a dumb way to run a business.

Look at Victron. No massive slick fancy marketing campaigns. Expensive products that work as advertised and rarely fail. Hell I received a heavily used Victron inverter that had clearly been dropped hard and the entire internals rattled around inside the case. But the thing still ran flawlessly when I hooked it up.

Renogy on the other hand does have that really polished marketing campaign. And their prices are attractive. We started with renogy stuff and are replacing it with Victron.

Having owned both now, I would say that Victron is a better value. I mean the cost to produce one of their inverters must be quite high, but their selling price leaves them less profit. Whereas Renogy has way more money in their advertising campaigns than they do in their inverter but they still sell at a high enough price that they must be taking in millions if not billions.

Now that I’ve dissed on Renogy, I do think they have a good use case. I think they’re fine for emergencies. If you only plan to use it for a month or less a year, I think it’s probably a better value, but only when on sale. Their full retail price i think is way inflated. But people like me love sales so they got me hook line and sinker, when the sale price is closer to the actual price where it’s a good value for might use. But if you use it 24/7/365…well then you already know better than to use Renogy inverters lol.

I had my Renogy Lipo4 charger fail after a couple uses, the company ghosted me. Never got so much as a return e-mail, I will never buy anything from Renogy again unless through Amazon. At least that way you can publicly expose them and maybe pressure them into responding. Terrible customer support!

I had my Renogy Lipo4 charger fail after a couple uses, the company ghosted me. Never got so much as a return e-mail, I will never buy anything from Renogy again unless through Amazon. At least that way you can publicly expose them and maybe pressure them into responding. Terrible customer support!

This is typical with email support, especially from Renogy. They tend to be days or weeks behind in emails. Possibly your email simply got lost. This should NOT happen with any business, but that's my guess.

We have had good warranty support with Renogy with PHONE CALLS. You know, that thing that talks to people. Once we got past the 1st tier support onto 2nd tier, they made us jump through some hoops and then they replaced our product.

Renogy boasts some very good warranties - 10 years for some items and I think their panels are warrantied for 80% output at 25 years. Sounds great, right? Yes but. This assumes Renogy will exist in 9 or 24 years when you need the warranty support. And you will have to keep your purchase receipts in order to prove you own it. And you will still have to jump through Renogy's warranty hoops to get it approved.

I got tired of this and decided that instead of buying something cheap because it has a good warranty, to buy something more expensive that I won't likely ever need to use the warranty. For cheap products like Renogy, the chances of NEEDING to use the warranty do go up. It's then a matter of whether you want to use your precious time trying to chase the approval down. If you are just wanting something cheap to play with and perhaps use on occasion, Renogy is a good way to go, but if you intend to use this for more full-time or longer-term, then buy Victron or other better quality stuff.

This is typical with email support, especially from Renogy. They tend to be days or weeks behind in emails. Possibly your email simply got lost. This should NOT happen with any business, but that's my guess.

We have had good warranty support with Renogy with PHONE CALLS. You know, that thing that talks to people. Once we got past the 1st tier support onto 2nd tier, they made us jump through some hoops and then they replaced our product.

Renogy boasts some very good warranties - 10 years for some items and I think their panels are warrantied for 80% output at 25 years. Sounds great, right? Yes but. This assumes Renogy will exist in 9 or 24 years when you need the warranty support. And you will have to keep your purchase receipts in order to prove you own it. And you will still have to jump through Renogy's warranty hoops to get it approved.

I got tired of this and decided that instead of buying something cheap because it has a good warranty, to buy something more expensive that I won't likely ever need to use the warranty. For cheap products like Renogy, the chances of NEEDING to use the warranty do go up. It's then a matter of whether you want to use your precious time trying to chase the approval down. If you are just wanting something cheap to play with and perhaps use on occasion, Renogy is a good way to go, but if you intend to use this for more full-time or longer-term, then buy Victron or other better quality stuff.
Well said. I did try phoning as well, no luck. I run Victron charge controllers but was using Renogy batteries and charger. I ended up selling the batteries because they could not be connected in series, but really liked the batteries other than the series issue.

My Renogy 1000 watt sine wave inverter failed after 14 months of use, 2 months out of warranty. One of the MOSFETs popped. Will have to try a different brand next time. I have a Xantrex 1000 watt MSW inverter that was in continuous use 24/7 for 15 years, it's still working.

We just had a Rich Solar 2kW “industrial pure sine” inverter fail in 13 months. Dealing with Rich Solar has been better than Renogy by a mile but still absolutely infuriating. The inverter to bank is all 4/0 Ancor marine wire and total circuit length is 4.5 feet. The bank is Kilovault LFP. When the inverter died all it was powering was a single low wattage Led bulb a google Wifi hub, and a few security cameras. I asked Rich Solar to tell me exactly what component failed so I could decide if this was just a random failure? At first they tried to tell me they would repair it and return it. When I explained I was a professional electrician who needed to know the failure mode in order to continue using Rich Solar products, They then changed the tune to “We don’t repair these” if it’s dead we send a replacement. That was their way of saying these are disposable inverters?The warranty tuurn around was slow with zero communication. It was forced to buy the customer a “Spare” so they could use their property over thanksgiving because the warranty dept could not guarantee A quick enough turn around..

Everything else in the cabin is Victron and it has all been 100% reliable And I’ve been installing Victron since well before they even made inverters & solar controllers…Unfortunately Victron does not make an inverter only product (no charger) bigger than 1200VA..

Rich solar isapparently another company slapping their brand name on cheap unreliable products just like Renogy. While tech support is far better than Renogy, in that they actually answer their phones, their tech support dept really had no clue and can’t keep their stories straight.. They really dropped the ball on me and despite being “under warranty” I still had to cover my customer and replace the inverter on our dime.

Also, when I tried to get escalated to a tech support person that actually understood OHM’s law to try and figure out why this 2K inverter could not run the customers 12A saw without overloading no one could answer that. It runs perfectly on the customers Honda EU2000, as it should but, the Rich Solar inverter could not power it and based on the specs this should be a walk in the park. Rich Solar had no interest in figuring out why this 2kW inverter could not run a 12A saw but a Honda EU2000 could?It sure never performed like an “industrial inverter”…

When the spare gets here it will be returned and the customer will get a Victron Multi-plus even though he has plenty of charging capability already.. Already lost my shirt on this job due to Rich Solar, the least they could do is explain to me exactly what failed?.I guess they would rather cater to DIY’s than professional installers…… FWIW just a few weeks prior I was ready to fill out the dealer application for Rich Solar……

so add Rich Solar to Renogy on our list of companies we can no longer support due to unreliable products and a lack of good customer service…

Last edited:
We just had a Rich Solar 2kW “industrial pure sine” inverter fail in 13 months. Dealing with Rich Solar has been better than Renogy by a mile but still absolutely infuriating. The inverter to bank is all 4/0 Ancor marine wire and total circuit length is 4.5 feet. The bank is Kilovault LFP. When the inverter died all it was powering was a single low wattage Led bulb a google Wifi hub, and a few security cameras. I asked Rich Solar to tell me exactly what component failed so I could decide if this was just a random failure? At first they tried to tell me they would repair it and return it. When I explained I was a professional electrician who needed to know the failure mode in order to continue using Rich Solar products, They then changed the tune to “We don’t repair these” if it’s dead we send a replacement. That was their way of saying these are disposable inverters?The warranty tuurn around was slow with zero communication. It was forced to buy the customer a “Spare” so they could use their property over thanksgiving because the warranty dept could not guarantee A quick enough turn around..

Everything else in the cabin is Victron and it has all been 100% reliable And I’ve been installing Victron since well before they even made inverters & solar controllers…Unfortunately Victron does not make an inverter only product (no charger) bigger than 1200VA..

Rich solar isapparently another company slapping their brand name on cheap unreliable products just like Renogy. While tech support is far better than Renogy, in that they actually answer their phones, their tech support dept really had no clue and can’t keep their stories straight.. They really dropped the ball on me and despite being “under warranty” I still had to cover my customer and replace the inverter on our dime.

Also, when I tried to get escalated to a tech support person that actually understood OHM’s law to try and figure out why this 2K inverter could not run the customers 12A saw without overloading no one could answer that. It runs perfectly on the customers Honda EU2000, as it should but, the Rich Solar inverter could not power it and based on the specs this should be a walk in the park. Rich Solar had no interest in figuring out why this 2kW inverter could not run a 12A saw but a Honda EU2000 could?It sure never performed like an “industrial inverter”…

When the spare gets here it will be returned and the customer will get a Victron Multi-plus even though he has plenty of charging capability already.. Already lost my shirt on this job due to Rich Solar, the least they could do is explain to me exactly what failed?.I guess they would rather cater to DIY’s than professional installers…… FWIW just a few weeks prior I was ready to fill out the dealer application for Rich Solar……

so add Rich Solar to Renogy on our list of companies we can no longer support due to unreliable products and a lack of good customer service…

I wasted so much time and money with Renogy customer support and several products. The inverter, charge controller and batteries all had issues. My wife and I spent combined over 10 hours on the phone and e-mail dealing with them. In the end, they replaced one battery and gave me the run around for everything else.

I know that at one point, Will Prowse said that Rich Solar is the same products as Renogy, but cheaper. SRNE is the manufacturer for both companies.

I agree, Victron needs a 1500-2000W stand alone inverter.

Fwiw, what are your loads needed? I can run 1100W continuously on my Victron Phoenix 12/1200, and I can start up and run a 1850W Dyson vacuum for about a minute before the inverter cuts out. The surge ability is impressive, so if you don’t have anything requiring more than 1100W continuous and only need bursts of power, the 12/1200 can surge up to 2400W. It might even do higher than that for 5 seconds or less, i forget the specs.

Wow, sounds like going cheap on this install really hurt, ouch.
To answer this question, the 12 amp saw has a start up surge that well exceeds 2000 watts. Unless the inverter has a big heavy coil of copper, it doesn't have much of a start up surge capability. The generator on the other hand has the spinning mass of the engine to handle start up surge.

Without measuring, the saw would put somewhere between 2* and 10* the listed amps while starting. I'm not even remotely surprised the 2000 watt inverter wouldn't start it.

To answer this question, the 12 amp saw has a start up surge that well exceeds 2000 watts. Unless the inverter has a big heavy coil of copper, it doesn't have much of a start up surge capability. The generator on the other hand has the spinning mass of the engine to handle start up surge.

Without measuring, the saw would put somewhere between 2* and 10* the listed amps while starting. I'm not even remotely surprised the 2000 watt inverter wouldn't start it.

Meanwhile, my 15A Dyson vacuum starts up on my Victron 1000W inverter. It’ll only run for about 60s before cutting out, but turn fact it starts up at all compared to the Renogy is impressive. There’s a MASSIVE copper coil inside the thing…

I'm pretty sure Dyson runs an inverter and 3 phase motor, so no start up surge. Well, I'm less sure about the motor, but the two Dyson products I've seen bring the motor up to speed slowly without a start up surge.

I'm pretty sure Dyson runs an inverter and 3 phase motor, so no start up surge. Well, I'm less sure about the motor, but the two Dyson products I've seen bring the motor up to speed slowly without a start up surge.

My clamp meter measured 2400W surge and 1850W continuous on a Dyson upright vacuum. Mind you this was an what appeared to be a dropped from a height of greater than 6 feet damaged Victron 12/1200. The replacement inverter was brand new and measures 1800W surge and 1200W continuous (sorry my previous comment was less accurate). So not as big of a surge as some motors, but still a surge nonetheless. I will see if I can find a 12-15A circular saw (not sure what the saw I currently have is) and see how the 1000W Victron runs that.

The intent was not to go cheapI gladly would have bought a Victron but Rich solar was insistent that this was a true 2k output continuous with a 4k surge... I am well aware if inrush but when the owners el cheap 2kW Harbor Freight MSW inverter runs the saw and his EU2000 runs it, even when on eco mode, there is no reason this Rich Solar inverter should not run it unless they really cut some corners on caps....

One more update on this saga I have been waiting all day for the "spare inverter " that was supposed to be here today and about an hour ago Get an update saying tomorrow. I paid for expedited shipping so the customer would have it for thanksgiving. I just got off the phone with Rich Solar and their attitude was oh well not our issue take it up with fed ex.Problem is they took my money and clearly stated the delivery date now they won't even refund the expedited shipping charges.. Oh and the warranty inverter has been shipped but won't be here until next week and no one has any clue what failed on it.. They don't fix these things the just ship a new one..

The only other company that has been this bad has been Renogy but I will say that Rich solar at least answers phones.. Waiting for a call back from management now but not holding my breath....
Rich Solar buyer beware!

Last edited:
I hear your frustration. Here are some solutions for your inverter situation:

Contact a local electrician: Since Renogy's support hasn't been helpful, getting a qualified electrician to diagnose the inverter could be a good option. They can pinpoint the issue and potentially fix it or recommend a replacement.

Push for RMA (Return Merchandise Authorization): You've documented the issue thoroughly and wasted time with Renogy's support. Be firm and request an RMA for the inverter. Mention the beeping, power shutoff, and failed tests provided to Renogy.

File a warranty claim: Check your inverter's warranty terms. If it's still under warranty, file a claim directly with the manufacturer rather than relying on Renogy as a middleman.

Replace the inverter: If the warranty is out or an RMA isn't an option, consider replacing the inverter with a different brand that has a better reputation for customer service.

Here are some additional tips:

Gather documentation: Keep copies of all communication with Renogy, including dates, times, and what was discussed.

Take pictures and videos: Document the inverter's behavior, error messages (if any), and battery voltage readings.

Research online reviews: Before choosing a replacement inverter, research different brands and read customer reviews to find one with good customer support.

I hope this helps!

I have written a review on one of the popular Renogy inverters: https://inverterreview.com/renogy-2000w-pure-sine-wave-inverter-review/ please read the review and see if this Renogy inverter is helpful as per your needs.

I wasted so much time and money with Renogy customer support and several products. The inverter, charge controller and batteries all had issues. My wife and I spent combined over 10 hours on the phone and e-mail dealing with them. In the end, they replaced one battery and gave me the run around for everything else.

I know that at one point, Will Prowse said that Rich Solar is the same products as Renogy, but cheaper. SRNE is the manufacturer for both companies.

I agree, Victron needs a 1500-2000W stand alone inverter.

Fwiw, what are your loads needed? I can run 1100W continuously on my Victron Phoenix 12/1200, and I can start up and run a 1850W Dyson vacuum for about a minute before the inverter cuts out. The surge ability is impressive, so if you don’t have anything requiring more than 1100W continuous and only need bursts of power, the 12/1200 can surge up to 2400W. It might even do higher than that for 5 seconds or less, i forget the specs.
I agree. I have 24v and 48v 1200 VA Phoenix inverters. Love them! Simple hook up, just connect with blue tooth and do some simple settings and basic monitoring. Had a multi plus and just didn't have the patience and learn well(retain) to use their pc connection and honestly old school software. I would get the software and interface mostly figured out then not use it for a couple months. Need to change setting? Relearn it again.🤔. same with the cerbo. For a smaller setup I just didnt need the hassle. Sold that stuff. No thanks.
Going with an all in one for the main house for simplicity, UL listing and built is screen and buttons.
I would rather just have a simple phoenix(a 2000-3000va version of the 1200 would be great) , charge controller, maybe a battery charger (I didn't even need a shunt, just look at the voltage). All connected to Bluetooth Victron connect app. Simple and works. Click app on phine : see watts from solar, watts on inverter, voltage, done.

Last edited:
Back