diy solar

diy solar

Results after equalization. Advice on what to do.

SolarSamSurfer

Here to learn.
Good afternoon to all, quick thanks to everyone who has been following my threads.

So i have equalized each battery for a good 8 hours until they stopped improving and the results aren't very promising.

Battery one:

Battery Two:

Battery three:

Battery 4 still has a dead cell and i am still fighting with the company to get it replaced under warranty. They are trying to tell me that since i opened the cells to check the water the warranty isnt valid anymore which seems like some BS to me. Anyway i think that all of the other batteries look like they are in bad shape aswell. I am looking for recommendation on what to do? I recently found out that if i make the connection to the grid with a private company and not the public service it will be alot cheaper because i can put the cables underground while the public company wants me to pay for posts. The cost of connecting to the grid will be alot less then getting new batteries and then my bill will be around $3USD every two months. I am thinking to connect to the grid and for the mean time to use my system as it is and just unplug my fridge in the evening. What is the best way to use my battery when i have one dead battery. I was recommened to changing my CV and CC voltages down to adjust for the dead battery. I also have a HA02 battery equalizer should i connect it to all 4 batteries or just the 3 good batteries?

Last edited:
Are these the specific gravaties or cell voltage? What batteries are these?

Are these the specific gravaties or cell voltage? What batteries are these?
They are the SG reading of each cell. 6 cells each battery. they are flooded lead acid. Have a check of my post history if you want to catch up with the history.

What is your EQ voltage set to? Those SG's are low, the lowest being around 60%. What is the age of the batteries? How deep is the typical cycle? Are you using a temperature compensated hydrometer? I much prefer using a refractometer, I find the EZred hydrometer I have to fluctuate in reading depending on how it is held, how much electrolyte you suck up and so on. While a refractometer isn't temperature compensated it gives a much easier to read and consistent reading.

What is your EQ voltage set to? Those SG's are low, the lowest being around 60%. What is the age of the batteries? How deep is the typical cycle? Are you using a temperature compensated hydrometer? I much prefer using a refractometer, I find the EZred hydrometer I have to fluctuate in reading depending on how it is held, how much electrolyte you suck up and so on. While a refractometer isn't temperature compensated it gives a much easier to read and consistent reading.
Please have a read of my other posts. My EQ voltage is 15.5v which is what the battery manufacture suggests.

I am supposed to dig through all your posts? If you start a new thread you should be willing to post the relevant info. Good luck.

I am supposed to dig through all your posts? If you start a new thread you should be willing to post the relevant info. Good luck.
Ok i understand. EQ voltage specified by manufacture of 15.5v. batteries are 6 month old, i was normally discharging 50%. my hydrometer is temp compensated.

Have the batteries spent a collective eight hours at 15.5 volts? Probably not much more to do except put the daily charge voltage at the high end of specification (14.6-14.8?) and use the batteries up for what is left of them. IIRC the previous thread indicated they had been undercharged a bit. With the proper voltage they may still recover some over a few months.

I would really not use that battery with a dead cell for any length of time. Yes lowering the total voltage by 2 volts will mitigate the shorted cell but is not a viable solution as much as a hack until a replacement can be purchased. Will three batteries even run the equipment properly? Tough situation.

For a six month old battery those numbers are a little unfortunate. I'd try upping the voltage to 15.8 and give them a decent cook. Maybe try it twice. You might look at how your strings are connected to make sure that cable lengths are as even as possible. Also best if the cable to the inverter is in the middle as well. When taking your readings I find it best if you get just enough into the chamber to hit the fill line and then have no pressure on the bulb. With mine that makes a difference in the readings

One more detail that's been left out is that the OP is in HOT Mexico, so the battery maker quite possibly has designed the batteries with a weaker electrolyte solution to help the batteries live longer. The fact that the SG differs so much from cell to cell does indicate that the batteries are not in good condition, though.

Have the batteries spent a collective eight hours at 15.5 volts? Probably not much more to do except put the daily charge voltage at the high end of specification (14.6-14.8?) and use the batteries up for what is left of them. IIRC the previous thread indicated they had been undercharged a bit. With the proper voltage they may still recover some over a few months.

I would really not use that battery with a dead cell for any length of time. Yes lowering the total voltage by 2 volts will mitigate the shorted cell but is not a viable solution as much as a hack until a replacement can be purchased. Will three batteries even run the equipment properly? Tough situation.
They have spent 8 hours each, i was checking every hour and stopped after u didnt see a raise. I think i will be connecting to the grid since the cost will be cheaper then getting new batteries in a few months and the electricity is very cheap so it would take around 50 years for them to pay its self. I can still return the HA02 equalizer. Do you think i should hook it up to the 3 good batteries or just return it before the days run out.

For a six month old battery those numbers are a little unfortunate. I'd try upping the voltage to 15.8 and give them a decent cook. Maybe try it twice. You might look at how your strings are connected to make sure that cable lengths are as even as possible. Also best if the cable to the inverter is in the middle as well. When taking your readings I find it best if you get just enough into the chamber to hit the fill line and then have no pressure on the bulb. With mine that makes a difference in the readings
Yes i am 6 months into solar and for 4 months everything good and then i got battery problems and arrived to this thread to learn i wasn't maintaining my batteries correctly so my fault.
One more detail that's been left out is that the OP is in HOT Mexico, so the battery maker quite possibly has designed the batteries with a weaker electrolyte solution to help the batteries live longer. The fact that the SG differs so much from cell to cell does indicate that the batteries are not in good condition, though.
Still trying to get that info, ive tried email, asking in person when i tried to get my battery switch and over the phone to a few branches. No body knows.

All in all, i will start to get quotes for installing into the grid aswell as quotes for possible batteries in the future and see whats the best option for me. For now i will connect the batteries and see how long i can last with the one with the dead cell because im getting very bad service from the battery company and i don't have much faith they will uphold there warranty.

I am thinking to use the battery bank with the dead battery until i can connect to the grid or get 4 new batteries. what do you think?

The recommended C.V. from the battery company is 59.2v, i selected 57.2v and float is recommended 52.8v i selected 50.8v. I also have a battery equalizer. Do you think its worth it to connect to the 3 batteries that are still alive?

Expect for my fridge my energy needs is really low i have 35w of LED, 12v modem and a 60w fan. I was thinking to just use my fridge in the day for now when the panels can power is directly. How long could i push the system for like this with a dead battery because if it is enough aH for me i dont see the point to replace the batteries until they all go dead.

Last edited:
https://diysolarforum.com/threads/need-advice-on-equalization-and-battery-sg-unusual.34667/

After seeing this thread of OP realizing that he over filled his batteries with to much water i to think i have over filled my batteries. Battery fact sheet As you can see they are tall and the cell probably finishes 2/3rd down and i have them filled around 10cm more. I am thinking to take some water out of every cell and run another EQ to see if the SG improve. What's everyone's option on this? I was thinking i could EQ for long enough instead to bring the water levels down.

I am thinking to use the battery bank with the dead battery until i can connect to the grid or get 4 new batteries. what do you think?

The recommended C.V. from the battery company is 59.2v, i selected 57.2v and float is recommended 52.8v i selected 50.8v. I also have a battery equalizer. Do you think its worth it to connect to the 3 batteries that are still alive?

Expect for my fridge my energy needs is really low i have 35w of LED, 12v modem and a 60w fan. I was thinking to just use my fridge in the day for now when the panels can power is directly. How long could i push the system for like this with a dead battery because if it is enough aH for me i dont see the point to replace the batteries until they all go dead.
Keep an eye on things. damaged batteries can produce excessive heat and fumes increasing the risk of explosion.
Check the individual batteries are not going over the charging spec.

How long to get the grid connection? This should be your focus.

https://diysolarforum.com/threads/need-advice-on-equalization-and-battery-sg-unusual.34667/

After seeing this thread of OP realizing that he over filled his batteries with to much water i to think i have over filled my batteries. Battery fact sheet As you can see they are tall and the cell probably finishes 2/3rd down and i have them filled around 10cm more. I am thinking to take some water out of every cell and run another EQ to see if the SG improve. What's everyone's option on this? I was thinking i could EQ for long enough instead to bring the water levels down.
That is no longer water but sulfuric acid. Removing some electrolyte will not increase the hydrometer readings.

Keep an eye on things. damaged batteries can produce excessive heat and fumes increasing the risk of explosion.
Check the individual batteries are not going over the charging spec.

How long to get the grid connection? This should be your focus.
No idea at the moment i will start tomorrow with that.
That is no longer water but sulfuric acid. Removing some electrolyte will not increase the hydrometer readings.
so you dont think its worth a try?

As said, don't remove any electrolyte.

Not a good idea to lower the recommended voltage on a flooded lead battery. Follow the manufacturer's specs or you are undercharging the battery. Give it a couple of good and hot EQ's at 15.8V. Then carefully redo the SG readings.

If you have a means to monitor the detailed battery temperature across the cells ( IR thermal cam?). EQ at 16V and watch for the hottest cell's thermal profile. See if there is a hot spot or two. Could be u got anodic dendrites creating soft shorts in between the plates degrading charging and creating sulfation ergo ...low SGs.
If this is so...the solution is high current pulses to destroy the dendrite clusters. I have built an 800A pulser that does just that. 36VDC. keep the Batt temp < 48C overall.

Back