diy solar

diy solar

Rich Solar Alpha 5 Rack Battery - DOA

It had clearly been dropped from a good height, as one of the metal feet was bent up quite a bit. The internal components rattled inside when I tilted the unit to mimic mounting on its side. But the unit powered up just fine and performed flawlessly until the replacement unit arrived.

Will Prowse once said that Rich Solar is the same as Renogy, but cheaper. Having had several Renogy items, I won’t waste my time and money on that stuff anymore. Except their solar panels are decent.
What's strange is this has no visible signs of rough handling. The crate looks perfect.

I agree that bargain shopping tends to give you a lesser product, but this company has great reviews on their panels and inverters. The main reason I selected this battery was the free shipping. A $300 cost difference for a single unit is a lot. I understand that the per unit cost is less for shipping if you order more than one, but I only need one for my current build which will be a hand truck unit for emergency backup.

BUT as Will said above, these are complete garbage and now $300 looks worth it.
PXL_20230827_161743579.jpgPXL_20230827_161709879.jpg

What's strange is this has no visible signs of rough handling. The crate looks perfect.

I agree that bargain shopping tends to give you a lesser product, but this company has great reviews on their panels and inverters. The main reason I selected this battery was the free shipping. A $300 cost difference for a single unit is a lot. I understand that the per unit cost is less for shipping if you order more than one, but I only need one for my current build which will be a hand truck unit for emergency backup.

BUT as Will said above, these are complete garbage and now $300 looks worth it.
View attachment 164751View attachment 164752
That's the wrong way to handle those crates...they should have "this side up" stickers and the stickers should be followed. When the dolly is leaned back, the battery is essentially upside-down...the worst way to transport it possible.

The mechanical design on the battery could certainly use some work...but this is not the proper way to move any battery...a pallet jack would be proper.

Not defending the real issues with this product

That stripped black wire in the first photo is actually melted. Broken welds on busbars but no apparent damage to the case would indicate it was shipped that way.
That's what I was thinking. Almost looks as though the busbar came loose first then an arc traveled down the wire and blew out/melted off the insulation.

That's the wrong way to handle those crates...they should have "this side up" stickers and the stickers should be followed. When the dolly is leaned back, the battery is essentially upside-down...the worst way to transport it possible.

The mechanical design on the battery could certainly use some work...but this is not the proper way to move any battery...a pallet jack would be proper.

Not defending the real issues with this product
Agree they should transport it right-side-up, but this is simply how I moved it out of my house to the concrete pad where it can't do much damage if it catches fire now that I know what the inside looks like.

Are you saying then that all the people who have built hand truck mounted units like Will did are wrong for standing these batteries on end?

Agree they should transport it right-side-up, but this is simply how I moved it out of my house to the concrete pad where it can't do much damage if it catches fire now that I know what the inside looks like.

Are you saying then that all the people who have built hand truck mounted units like Will did are wrong for standing these batteries on end?
OK, if this is just the exit strategy, not a big deal...

If you are doing a handtruck build, the bottom of the battery should be toward the hand truck, so when the hand truck is tipped backward the cells aren't upside-down.

In the case of my Victron inverter, it was the same thing...the packaging was in pristine condition. The damage had been done probably by the first person who had bought the inverter and returned it claiming that it arrived damaged that way (and maybe it had been, but I doubt it). The seller was top notch in their response, they quickly sent out a BRAND NEW unit and sent a return-shipping label in the box. They definitely won me over with their customer service with that sale. They even apologized, saying that should have never happened in the first place and were sorry that a damaged inverter had slipped through their hands like that.

In the case of my Victron inverter, it was the same thing...the packaging was in pristine condition. The damage had been done probably by the first person who had bought the inverter and returned it claiming that it arrived damaged that way (and maybe it had been, but I doubt it). The seller was top notch in their response, they quickly sent out a BRAND NEW unit and sent a return-shipping label in the box. They definitely won me over with their customer service with that sale. They even apologized, saying that should have never happened in the first place and were sorry that a damaged inverter had slipped through their hands like that.
Yeah, that sounds like a good company to do business with. Not the one that sent me this hot garbage and then left me hanging when I called them with issues...

Im actually wondering how you got the mpp
I ordered this battery on Monday and received it on Thursday. Super-fast shipping from Rich Solar... BUT - I open the box and turned on the battery via the breaker and... nothing. Tried connecting it to my MPP Solar 3048LV-MK and still nothing. Tested the output voltage and I'm only getting 6.7 volts at the terminals. Called Rich Solar Thursday afternoon and spoke with their customer service rep. She referred me to their tech who wasn't available so I left a message. Never got a return call. On Friday I called again and she gave me the "direct line" to the service rep. I called and left a message and, again never got a call back.

Via some R*ddit posts and Y*uT*be videos, I was able to get the thing to turn on by sticking a pin in the "Reset" hole, however it's still not working right. So now that I can see the BMS screen, I can see that the readings are wonky. Additionally, the red "ALM" light is on.

Pressing the "Menu" key brings me to

Analog info >>
PackV: 35.76 V
Im: 0.00 A

Cell Voltage>>
Cell01: 1995 mV
Cell02: 0 mV
Cell03: 0 mV
Cell04: 2139 mV
Cell05: 3296 mV
Cell06: 3294 mV
Cell07: 3294 mV
Cell08: 3294 mV
Cell09: 3294 mV
Cell10: 3295 mV
Cell11: 3295 mV
Cell12: 3294 mV
Cell13: 2610 mV
Cell14: 0 mV
Cell15: 2654 mV
Cell16: -- mV

CellCapacity>>
SOC: 49.29%
FCC: 100.00 OAH
Rm: 49.2AH
CC: 1

BMS Status>>
>>Record>>
SCP: 1
O/UTP: 0
OCP: 0
UVP: 4
OVP: 3
>>BMS Status>>
UV: Y
UVP: Y
OC: N
OCP: N
SCP: N
--Failure: Y

I'm not sure what all these readings mean since there is no manual that came with the battery (nor is there one available online) but to me, this doesn't look good at all. BMS Failure, mismatched cell voltages and several cells reporting zero. I've read that Rich Solar is a reputable company, but I would think they could at least get back to a new customer within a couple of days on a DOA new product. Does anyone have any experience with this company and/or know what I might try to get this $1500 paperweight running running?
I'm wondering how you got your mppsolar 3048 to work reliably. Mine gets error code 55 and 53 at least once a day

I'm wondering how you got your mppsolar 3048 to work reliably. Mine gets error code 55 and 53 at least once a day
Well I haven't yet. The MPP and the battery were purchased to be used together for a tiny backup system/UPS. So I guess I have this to look forward to when I get a new battery. I'll let you know how it goes.

That’s nuts. I got my pair a few weeks ago but just fired it up this weekend. No battery issues other than the notes lack of documentation; but after seeing this I’ll pull the covers and look for anything funky. Did a full charge and a cycle down to 45v last night. Interfacing it with their version of the 6548 is still a miss for me.

I too followed some of the advice and even though Will hadn’t reviewed this one; I went with it due to cost. We’ll all see how that turns out. I’ll totally admit I thought they had a lot more product out there than they must….after I ordered and they said “there’s no manual yet” I puckered pretty hard.

Last edited:
You can't void warranty by taking cover off in the USA. https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/ftc-warranty-stickers-illegal/
Not to steal the thread, you are right and wrong ?.
If the warranty provider is in the USA, YES (!)
If the warranty provider is in Europe, absolutely YES (!)
If it's from China, and AliX or other store is providing the warranty, NO (!)

The seller warranty rules apply, especially with sites like AliX and Banggood.

This battery.. argh..
Danger,will Robinson, Danger!

**UPDATE**
I heard back from Rich Solar this morning (8/28/23). I had emailed them a link to this post. Apparently, they read it and will be sending me a return label and granting a full refund.

I would like to thank Al from Rich Solar for being very nice and easy to deal with.
Thats awesome, and good to hear.

Wish me luck for my Christmas present unwrapping tonight. :ROFLMAO:

Thats awesome, and good to hear.

Wish me luck for my Christmas present unwrapping tonight. :ROFLMAO:
According to the BMS; all cells in one battery are within 6 mv, and the other is 4 mv.

I’m chasing errant current thru the ground and neutral wires of the ac output. Removed the neutral ground screw and it got less; but not none. Was getting shocked on the outside of my trailer when it was plugged in. Super not good with a 30 gallon METAL fuel tank attached…

Back