diy solar

diy solar

Rolls 4 ks measurement needed

pvdude

Solar Enthusiast
Anyone have Rolls 4KS style batteries installed?
I am ordering some to upgrade from the smaller batteries I have now.
I need to construct a lifting frame before ordering.
The dimensions on the site do not show the case width,
which I need to make a frame to fit under the lifting ears.
Rolls tech support says they do not have that information.
4 ks 21p.png4ks 21p_dimensionneeded.png

I have a set of 4KS21P

13 1/4" (+/- 1/8") is that dimension on mine. Mine are 23 years old so that dimension may not be the same today.

However mine are 15 3/4" wide overall so I suspect you can trust that 13 1/4".

FWIW: It's easy to remove the lid of the battery which is 2 x 2V individual cells. I've done projects where no heavy equipment was available so we have to break them down to move them and then reassemble them.

Last edited:
Looks good to to me.

Just in case you weren't aware a 1/2" or 3/4" piece of conduit (pvc or emt or whatever pipe you have) is pretty easy to get batteries up on and roll them around into place. I've used 4" Sewer and Drain pipe to roll 20KW generators across mud bogs onto the concrete pad with just me and one helper.

Thankfully we have a few different on and off-road fork lift options but they rarely work for the last ~100 yards. Plus we can't haul them and the the gear we're trying to install at the same time.

Thanks for the pipe roller tip / reminder!
Decades ago, that is how I moved a 2000lb Bridgeport mill into my shop - 3/4” black pipe !

Just to point out.. any time you get ANY dimension on a drawing you can usually get a pretty good idea of anything else that is on the same 'plane'. On a pc i usually just do this in microsoft paint because any time you draw a line point to point you get a pixel count at the bottom. So i just hit printscreen, Ctrl V into Paint, draw a line across the two points you have a dimension for, that dimension divided by pixel count of the line equals distance per pixel.
1677603548400.png
Then draw line for the unknown dimension, that number of pixels times your last number, gives new distance in original units.
1677603634076.png
So i got 13" in Paint for those inside edges. Could have targeted center of those 'hook' sections, wherever you want your tool to engage. Considering 15.75 outside width, ~1.75" difference, half per side equals each 'ledge' or hook section about ~.85 or ~7/8" wide. Or could do it with Paint again.

But just putting this out there for anyone who wants to put a dimension to something on a drawing while sitting on a microsoft PC. They ALL have Paint and Calculator. :)

Back