diy solar

diy solar

rookie doubts

Dexron

I am buying the components for the electrical installation of my camper.
At the moment I have:
Lifepo4 280ah 12V Battery
BMS 250a
Solar panel from 400w to 24v
Regulator Victron 100/30

I am thinking of mounting a 50ah Voltronic alternator charger

what do you think of this configuration?

In their previous post they were planning to use an inverter, but had not settled on one and were looking for more guidance.

Thanks for the answers.
that's what, at the moment, I have bought and I think it can be worth. I would like you to tell me if so.
I have to look at an inverter that convinces me of a continuous 2500 / 3000w.

Thanks for the answers.
that's what, at the moment, I have bought and I think it can be worth. I would like you to tell me if so.
I have to look at an inverter that convinces me of a continuous 2500 / 3000w.

What is your budget?

placas, regulador y pilas que ya tengo.
Necesito un cargador de un alternador y un inversor / cargador de 220v.
No he establecido un presupuesto fijo.

How do you see a 50a dc-dc charger for 280ah lifepo4 cell charging?
I don't have a fixed budget for the 220v converter

Preferieres mi español de mierda ? o ingles?

How do you see a 50a dc-dc charger for 280ah lifepo4 cell charging?

No entiendo la pregunta.
Necesitas un cargador de un alternador de 50A y 12V. Verdad?
Las compañías se venden cargadores de un alternador: Victron, Sterling Power, Redarc, Renogy, Cotek

Necesito un cargador de un alternador y un inversor / cargador de 220v.
I don't have a fixed budget for the 220v converter

En qué país vives y cuanta potencia necesitas?

Basado en la información de su última publicación, pienso que necesitas una inversor/cargador de baja frecuencia y de ~3000W

Considerer Victron Multiplus 3000, caro pero bueno, hay muchas otras alternativas tambien.

En qué país vives y cuanta potencia necesitas?

Basado en la información de su última publicación, pienso que necesitas una inversor/cargador de baja frecuencia y de ~3000W

Considerer Victron Multiplus 3000, caro pero bueno, hay muchas otras alternativas tambien.

Thanks for the reply Dzl.
I live in Spain.
Yes, I mean a charger from an alternator, I have looked at the 50a Voltronic, I think it can be used to charge the battery.
Investor I have seen this, although I doubt its quality:
https://es.aliexpress.com/item/4001...id=0b0a01f815976666312353195e2c81&ws_ab_test= searchweb0_0, searchweb201602_, searchweb201603_

I only need to move a 1500w thermos for 30 minutes and an induction hob for 30 minutes a day at most.
Everything else goes to 12v.

By the way, your Spanish is very good.

Since you're using a Victron solar charge controller, consider the Victron Orion for DC-DC charging.

For my initial implementation of my solar system, I'm going to isolate the camper's 12v system from the tow vehicles 12v charge. I'm going to have a separate 12v system for starting the generator, trailer lights, break away system and the tongue jack. I think my system lends itself to this, but since I haven't starting tearing the system apart, it's just a plan/theory.

Since you're using a Victron solar charge controller, consider the Victron Orion for DC-DC charging.

This is what I would do too. But there are other good options also.

Last edited:
Thanks, but the biggest orion victron I find in 12v is the 30a.
the Voltronic 50a could be a better option?

Thanks, but the biggest orion victron I find in 12v is the 30a.
the Voltronic 50a could be a better option?

Correct, the largest Victron is 30A.

If your alternator is able to handle 50A, than maybe the Voltronic is better for you. I do not know that company or product well.

There is a lot going on in a vehicle that pulls from the alternator. Does your alternator have 50 amps to spare? That's not a small draw. As alternators heat up they produce less and less amps.

My preference is that the solar panels are the primary source of power for the system. My expectation is that I'll get 20 amps - at most - from my truck, even though the alternators are rated for 377 amps.

I have similar setup but in a more compact portable setup yet the DC to DC will be installed in the vehicle but my victron 100/30 solar charger will be in the case. I have gone many ways looking into the DC to DC and decided the amps doesnt matter and 30 will be plenty. The solar will keep things topped off for the most part and @ 30 amps will give a decent charge on a cloudy rainy day but found out I can power mostly all I need for few days with hardly no solar.

HRTKD is there any special reason to mount the Victron charger and not the Votronic?
I find a 30a Votronic quite cheaper.

HRTKD is there any special reason to mount the Victron charger and not the Votronic?
It’s just that with Victron you know that it will all play nicely together. Other tools like the Bluetooth app will work on both too allowing programming for your battery chemistry to be the same

It always makes sense to stick with an ecosystem if it makes financial sense

your plan sounds very similar to mine.
I’m planning on going for the Epever 40A BN solar charge controller, the renogy 30A dc to dc charger, 200Ah 12V lifepo4 battery and 4x120W panels. 1500W inverter

I’m planning on being power efficient but year round and self sufficient. The vehicle will get used in ski areas and the like so solar won’t be great sometimes

I’ll be running
50l fridge 12V
Diesel heater 2kW
Lights & water
Laptop
Phone charging
Maxxfan

I have plans for a couple of luxury items
Projector for films
High pressure bike wash

You get what you pay for. Integration of the Victron components is an advantage. One app on your phone to talk to all the components.

I'm not sure which Votronic you're looking at. Your link is broken.

If you're looking at this page from the Votronic website, the 12v DC-DC charger on the first line isn't going to give you 50 amps at your LiFePO4 battery. The second line is a step up charger to go from 12v to 24v. The fifth line would get you close to 50 amps at the LiFePO4 battery, but that charger looks to be more expensive than the Victron Orion.

If you're buying cheap knockoffs from China, then you're on your own.

Why would I not use a 50 amp DC-DC charger? I simply don't feel the need to pull 50 amps out of my tow vehicle to charge the battery bank in the trailer. If my solar system isn't up to the job, then maybe it's the wrong solar system or I need to go home due to a week of cloud cover (unlikely).

Back