diy solar

diy solar

Running conduit underground along wall

webbbn

Solar Enthusiast
I'm pretty sure it's okay to run conduit along a wall between, say a main panel and a subpanel, but I would like to make it less visible for aesthetic reasons. I know the depth requirements for underground cable/conduits, but does that apply if it's running along a wall/foundation? Is there a minimum height above the ground required for conduit runs along an exterior wall? Just running it at ground level and partially hiding it with gravel would be better than fully exposed.

Plastic or metal?
I ran 2" plastic down from a box, along the surface at edge of foundation, the underground to another location.
It slipped by the first inspector, but later inspector (when system expanded) said exposed PVC only OK vertical, not horizontal run.

I replaced with rigid, which I routed higher (also relocating where it went to the wall of same building.)

My plan for the exposed 2" PVC is to cover it with a layer of concrete. I'll call it "encased" rather than "buried".

Practically speaking, along the wall is pretty well protected.
PVC is supposed to be buried to depth of 18", rigid to 12", at least in my area.
PVC gets sunburned, so I think covered is better.
It expands and contracts with heat, an 80' length ripped itself out of boxes. If it had some elbows, might allow flexing. Look into slip-joints, which accommodate expansion.

My old place, I have a ratsnest of rigid conduit on the back wall and under deck.
The wiring junctions boxes I see people put under multiple inverters look convenient. Doing that for future work.

My new place, I'm putting several boxes on the outside wall, and running conduit from their rear knockouts into the the basement. Will make S-bend EMT to get from joist area where they enter to under the joists, where I'll put a junction box.

I thought rigid was 6". That was going to be my backup plan, but I like the concrete idea.

We have terrible termite problems here, and disturbing the soil too deep around the foundation can break the termite barrier. Concrete might actually help.

Back