diy solar

diy solar

RV Battery bank advise or opinions

Uoavitar

Boondocker
Let me give you a picture of where I'm at. I have a 40ft toyhauler as seen in my thumbnail. Last summer I bought the Victron 712 Battery monitor and a Renogy Suitcase panel. Being able to see real time energy use and charging and Will's videos sparked a whole big thing with solar, inverters, lithium, etc. I now have 10 panels mounted on top of the RV (room for 22), A Victron SmartSolar MPPT 150/85-Tr VE.Can, (2) MultiPlus 12/3000/120-50, Color control panel (Cerbo is sitting on my countertop waiting to be installed) all running on 3 large Walmart batteries. At the time of installation I simply didn't have the funds to purchase the (6) Battleborns I wanted. Turned out to be a good thing as I've gotten into DIY packs. I recently built my first 4S 280 pack just to play with it before deciding on what to do for batteries. Love it! The plan is to build my bank now.

The original plan (after ditching the Battleborn idea) was to build (4) 4S 280 batteries with 250A BMS to be able to supply the huge power requirements of the 2 inverters at full capacity (which will almost never happen). Now the 310AH cells are out at nearly the same price and they have me scratching my head about the 280s. I'm also debating on a Winston style cell for mobile durability at 2-3 times the cost of the aluminum cells. My brain is telling me no on these because less AH for more $$$ but I've also learned you get what you pay for and I'm concerned about the aluminum cells in a mobile application. Although It's not mobile for long, just tow to the campsite and drop.

So here is where I'd like your opinions and advise as I need to order my cells ASAP.
Amy's 280 cells?
Basens 310 Cells?
CALB or Sinopoly cells at a MUCH higher cost?

Last edited:
While I have only seven months with LiFePO4 in my toy hauler, they are doing well. Mine are the EVE 280Ah cells, in two 4s batteries. I've got a couple thousand road miles on them.

If you're going with four 4s batteries, I don't think you need a 250 amp BMS. The Overkill Solar 120 amp BMS (times four) will provide 480 amps, which should be plenty for your inverter.

I would trust Amy before anyone else, as long as we're talking about the same Amy from this thread.

If you're going with four 4s batteries, I don't think you need a 250 amp BMS. The Overkill Solar 120 amp BMS (times four) will provide 480 amps, which should be plenty for your inverter.
Each inverter is fused at 400 amp per Victron specs. In the beginning I used 300 amp stinger circuit breakers which thinking it would be sufficient however it would pop one after just a minute of AC running so I know the draw is high. After seeing the teardown video of 12v circuit breakers I switched to the 400 amp slow blow fuses. It may have just been the crappy breakers but I'm trying to build it to be capable of max use even though I may never use it that hard. With the 2 inverters at 400 amp it'll leave me another 200 amp for trailer systems and other addons using 250 amp BMSs.

I would trust Amy before anyone else, as long as we're talking about the same Amy from this thread.
I absolutely agree. Even though I have never ordered from her, if I got the route of 280s I would get them from her.

The hard choice is 280 vs 310. I've ordered from Basin before and trust that I would get them. They appear to be newer cells as they, like Amy's, have welded studs which to my knowledge hasn't been offered until recently. I havn't seen any capacity tests from others but they haven't been out long either.

Thank you for your feedback, it's exactly what I'm looking for.

Something to consider when buying for mobile use is the cell size. It seems that the larger cells over 100ah might not be be reliable long term in high vibration environment.
I found that info from here: http://nordkyndesign.com/assembling-a-lithium-iron-phosphate-marine-house-bank/

“A sales manager at Sinopoly I was talking to was adamant about using 100Ah or 200Ah cells only for assembling marine battery banks, with 100Ah being preferred and 200Ah acceptable.”

The logic is laid out in the link and makes sense. It why I went with the Fortune/Frey cells in my trailer and truck build. Heck I liked the cells so much I started a company around them, ha.
Anyways my thought is if they can handle 3-5k recharge cycles I was willing to pay the extra for them to physically last.

Let me give you a picture of where I'm at. I have a 40ft toyhauler as seen in my thumbnail. Last summer I bought the Victron 712 Battery monitor and a Renogy Suitcase panel. Being able to see real time energy use and charging and Will's videos sparked a whole big thing with solar, inverters, lithium, etc. I now have 10 panels mounted on top of the RV (room for 22), A Victron SmartSolar MPPT 150/85-Tr VE.Can, (2) MultiPlus 12/3000/120-50, Color control panel (Cerbo is sitting on my countertop waiting to be installed) all running on 3 large Walmart batteries. At the time of installation I simply didn't have the funds to purchase the (6) Battleborns I wanted. Turned out to be a good thing as I've gotten into DIY packs. I recently built my first 4S 280 pack just to play with it before deciding on what to do for batteries. Love it! The plan is to build my bank now.

The original plan (after ditching the Battleborn idea) was to build (4) 4S 280 batteries with 250A BMS to be able to supply the huge power requirements of the 2 inverters at full capacity (which will almost never happen). Now the 310AH cells are out at nearly the same price and they have me scratching my head about the 280s. I'm also debating on a Winston style cell for mobile durability at 2-3 times the cost of the aluminum cells. My brain is telling me no on these because less AH for more $$$ but I've also learned you get what you pay for and I'm concerned about the aluminum cells in a mobile application. Although It's not mobile for long, just tow to the campsite and drop.

So here is where I'd like your opinions and advise as I need to order my cells ASAP.
Amy's 280 cells?
Basens 310 Cells?
I've just ordered 32 310ah, here are some specs.

Attachments

• E1BFE05C-FD60-434F-A022-CD6424F00ACF.png
    E1BFE05C-FD60-434F-A022-CD6424F00ACF.png
    144.8 KB · Views: 18
  • 43BF25F5-92F0-497C-BFA8-626BE019E622.png
    43BF25F5-92F0-497C-BFA8-626BE019E622.png
    304.6 KB · Views: 17
  • E756B96E-35EA-4793-A3B1-849BF22A17E9.png
    E756B96E-35EA-4793-A3B1-849BF22A17E9.png
    138.8 KB · Views: 19
  • 274887E9-4252-4199-BB1B-29C2AE6E43D1.png
    274887E9-4252-4199-BB1B-29C2AE6E43D1.png
    187.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 9DFF13A9-4CCC-44D5-B993-34624A1C0363.png
    9DFF13A9-4CCC-44D5-B993-34624A1C0363.png
    194.1 KB · Views: 20
@Denis I'm a little skeptical on the 310 cells after doing a little research.

First there is this https://diysolarforum.com/threads/catl-310ah-grade-a-prismatic-cells-from-basen.17359/post-227557 by Michael B Caro which after looking into it I'm leaning toward believing and I'll show you why.

After doing a search of available 310AH on Alibaba Basin seems to be the only company with the QR code on the side instead of in the middle which leads me to believe that they are relabeling them or having them relabeled just for them and the other vendors either don't have the capability to do it or just don't want to hassle with relabeling them.

310ah_alibaba_search.jpg

I looked at 310ah cells from another vendor I've used with good success Changsha Deligreen Power Co., Ltd. and in their listing they explain that they're required to remove the original QR codes by the manufacturer.

Deligreen_310ah.jpg

For this reason I've already messaged Amy to get a quote on 20 cells, just waiting to hear back. I'm not positive I'll still go with her, kinda depends on the quote and just how much more her cells are.

At this point I just don't trust the 310ah cells enough to gamble 20 cells on it. I'll give it more time for those who have ordered them and wait for the YouTube videos before jumping into them.

Check out this product on Alibaba App Exliporc lithium iron phosphate calb lifepo4 310ah lifepo batery bateria de litio lithim 280 ah 3.2v 280ah lifepo4 battery cell
https://m.alibaba.com/product/1600206686827/Exliporc-lithium-iron-phosphate-calb-lifepo4.html?__sceneInfo={"type":"appDetailShare","data":{"filterKey":"7.8.2_share","cacheTime":"1800000"}}1615984251482.png

These are the cells I've ordered,
Different weight than the other, 5.6 kg
These are with the QR code intact, the other one example you shown in the add above are not. my opinion with proof.

Check out this product on Alibaba App Original CATL Battery Lifepo4 310Ah 300Ah CATL Lifepo4 3.2V Battery for Energy Solar Storage
https://m.alibaba.com/product/1600169528982/Original-CATL-Battery-Lifepo4-310Ah-300Ah.html?__sceneInfo={"type":"appDetailShare","data":{"filterKey":"7.8.2_share","cacheTime":"1800000"}}1615984842861.png

These are 310ah also, but different types of cells, look at the top of cells and there qr code are located as Michael add, I'm not saying he is wrong, just saying what I found.
There weight is less 5.3kg +\- .3, so they could vary.
Capacity listed in the specs are less, charge / discharge specs varies.

@Uoavitar I see what you mean, with different suppliers different stories, different specs for the same cell or are they??
Anyways mine are coming and we will see. Thanks

Last edited:
@Denis

Check out this product on Alibaba App Exliporc lithium iron phosphate calb lifepo4 310ah lifepo batery bateria de litio lithim 280 ah 3.2v 280ah lifepo4 battery cell
https://m.alibaba.com/product/1600206686827/Exliporc-lithium-iron-phosphate-calb-lifepo4.html?__sceneInfo={"type":"appDetailShare","data":{"filterKey":"7.8.2_share","cacheTime":"1800000"}}
1615984251482.png

These are the cells I've ordered,
Different weight than the other, 5.6 kg
This add actually looks pretty good. I could find nothing to raise any doubt. In fact I noticed a few things that would lean me toward buying from them.
1. They're a 4 year company.
2. They do make the claim "Brand new Grade A 3.2V 310AH".
3. "Longer lifecycle with over 4000 times" This is much higher than any of the other vendors claim. Most I've seen are 2000-3500.
4. "310Ah(true capacity is above 310Ah )" I've seen no other vendor claim over 310, will be interesting to see the testing.

Over all, I would probably purchase from them based on these tiny details also. Who know if the claims are true or not but everything seems to look good.

Check out this product on Alibaba App Original CATL Battery Lifepo4 310Ah 300Ah CATL Lifepo4 3.2V Battery for Energy Solar Storage
https://m.alibaba.com/product/1600169528982/Original-CATL-Battery-Lifepo4-310Ah-300Ah.html?__sceneInfo={"type":"appDetailShare","data":{"filterKey":"7.8.2_share","cacheTime":"1800000"}}
1615984842861.png

These are 310ah also, but different types of cells, look at the top of cells and there qr code are located as Michael add, I'm not saying he is wrong, just saying what I found.
There weight is less 5.3kg +\- .3, so they could vary.
Capacity listed in the specs are less, charge / discharge specs varies.

This add has a huge red flag that would immediately turn me from them.
Typical Capacity280Ah

In my mind if they are selling a 310AH cell that's only getting a "typical capacity" of 280AH is either a very used cell or not a 310AH cell in the first place.

You know, I like the first ad so much I think I'll order 4 cells to do my own testing. Thank you for pointing out that vendor.

I ended up going with Amy and getting 20 280AH cell and 40 extra buss bars just for shits and giggles for $1.20 each. She gave me a $2 discount each cell for mentioning this forum.

Amy-280.jpg

Amy's 280 cells?
Basens 310 Cells?
the 310 I think are much larger so not worth it imo... check this out that I did for my rv...

Thread 'Just ordered Lifepo4 prismatic cell 3.2V 280Ah lithium lifepo4' https://diysolarforum.com/threads/j...smatic-cell-3-2v-280ah-lithium-lifepo4.14955/

My 20 280 cells came in last Sunday. They're top balancing now. Also the 310's from Exliporc came in (the same day). I got them charged and top balanced and I'm running the capacity test now. Another couple hours and I'll let you know what my 310 cells tested at.

20210505_102514.jpg

My 20 280 cells came in last Sunday. They're top balancing now. Also the 310's from Exliporc came in (the same day). I got them charged and top balanced and I'm running the capacity test now. Another couple hours and I'll let you know what my 310 cells tested at.

View attachment 47938
Wow that was quick, I'm still waiting for mine. ??

Got the results of the Exlipoc 310 AH cells. I didn't expect it to actually hit 310 but I hoped it would be closer. This is almost the same as my 280ah cells I got from Amy. I got 293.11 AH a split second before the BMS cut off at 2.5. This was from a full 3.65 top balance with an hour to settle.

20210505_141004.jpg

I'm using 280ah EVE cells, I'm happy with them. SBMS0 here, which doesn't limit the load via mosfet switching, but uses controls on sources/loads to manage things.

I got 280ah Lishen and they are good so far. Looked brand new when I got them, QR codes clean etc.

Buddy of mine ordered from same source and they only had the 310s. 310s came in swollen and QR codes hidden by black top cover tape stuff. He peeled it off and QR code scratched off. These sources are middlemen and really should have better QC. I think the factory switched up on the suppliers. So for now I am giving the supplier the benefit of the doubt and seeing what they do to make it right.

That's a superb installation, better than what I see on premium yards built sailing yachts!
Thank you, I was under an extreme time frame. The cells arrived on a Sunday and I had to leave for a camping trip Wednesday.

Back