diy solar

diy solar

RV LFP build. Help me spend my money :-)

KS_Kampers

I'm upgrading my 5th wheel I use for for boondocking. No inverter included in the build at this time. Two 100Ah Li Time batteries on the way. I'm picking through bits and pieces now, trying to get the rest of the core elements. If you have any preferences or advice on the below needs (I think I am shifting away from Renogy products due to some negative reviews).

Please chime in. I'm not sure which items to get for the rest of the build :

1) Which shunt / system monitor? I want to watch SoC for the system, and would like to have an in-cabin wall display, along with the ability to monitor via bluetooth on my phone.

2) Whose onboard converter / charger? I've looked at WFCO and Progressive Dynamics. The existing onboard box is a WFCO WF-9855. I read that Progressive has a more optimized charge profile. WFCO-AD boxes have auto detect between lead and LFP. Or other manuf? I think I would prefer to stay with one that uses a 15A 120VAC input as opposed to 20A input requirement.

3) What about a MPPT solar charger? I will be starting with a single 200W panel but may eventually add another 200W, so the ability to handle the voltage output of two panels in series would be a good thing. 50A capability is way more than enough.

Does anybody make a one box solution for solar charging and SoC / shunt? With a remote panel and bluetooth?

Thanks...

Frank

Best advice - ditch the converter/charger and get a 2,000 or 3,000 watt inverter charger. I have previously installed Xantrex Prosine 3,000 watt inverter/chargers in two different RV's. Boy, they can change the way you camp. In my most recent Sprinter van build, I used all Victron components, including their batteries (2-200ah). You really can't go wrong with Victron, and I have recently heard they may have dropped their prices.

Good luck.

I read that Progressive has a more optimized charge profile.
The PD charge profile is very aggressive and floats at an equally high 14.4V which is far higher than should be. If this was configurable it would be high on my list of things to buy this week.

Best advice - ditch the converter/charger and get a 2,000 or 3,000 watt inverter charger. I have previously installed Xantrex Prosine 3,000 watt inverter/chargers in two different RV's. Boy, they can change the way you camp. In my most recent Sprinter van build, I used all Victron components, including their batteries (2-200ah). You really can't go wrong with Victron, and I have recently heard they may have dropped their prices.

Good luck.
Thanks... a couple of questions... can I completely disable the inverter portion so as to not lose any power for an inverter which might be idling when not being used?

Does and inverter / charger have a 120VAC input to interface to shore power when available?

T

Thanks... a couple of questions... can I completely disable the inverter portion so as to not lose any power for an inverter which might be idling when not being used?

Does and inverter / charger have a 120VAC input to interface to shore power when available?
Not necessary to separately disable the inverter. When you are charging from shore or generator, the inverter is available also. When not charging from an AC source, turn off your inverter until you need it to invert for loads. Your solar charge controller will not be wired through your inverter - just straight to batteries.

In short, just keep your inverter off unless you need it, or you are plugged into AC power. Be sure you can get a remote for the inverter for easy on/off control.

edit: Yes the inverter will have 120VAC input. If you wish you could add a transfer switch so you could easily have an on board generator connected as well as your shore power input.

Last edited:
I'm confused as well. I was told to replace my existing inverter (WF 9855) with the WF 9855-AD inverter charger, because my LFP wasn't charging at all while plugged into shore power. Good news is it's covered under a warranty. I simply charged my batteries via solar, not really understanding the electrical system in the RV.

My question is, I'd like to add a Victron inverter to my system for the boondocking days. Is it total overkill to order an inverter/charger if I have this replacement converter charger?

Thanks in advance.

Back