diy solar

diy solar

Safe Grid Use of the 5000ES and transformer

I think its just as been discussed before, they leave off the ground screw and label it US model.
I don't think there is any other difference. I sure hope that if there is a Pad on the bottom of the PCB that they have some form of proper insulation between the pad and standoff.
But I thought SS and GroWatt made special deal that the units (5000 ES for Euro) sold to SS is modified Euro unit, but if GroWatt already makes 5000 US model that are sold to general public why would SS bother to bring in modified ES model, just sell 5000 US then, it is confusing to me.

We are here. We have built several complete systems, modified our shop, and numerous other steps to ensure a full diagnostic and testing of this issue so we can advise on a safe and operational system. We have been inundated with phone calls, emails, and website tickets about this and are doing our best to keep up with the volume in addition to working on a solution. We are being transparent in our research, replies, and response while we continue to research this. This has included ordering parts and literal construction as we do our best to replicate possibilities as outlined in user posts here. More to come, keep your eyes posted.
Do you have instrument to perform Hi-Pot test?

We are here. We have built several complete systems, modified our shop, and numerous other steps to ensure a full diagnostic and testing of this issue so we can advise on a safe and operational system. We have been inundated with phone calls, emails, and website tickets about this and are doing our best to keep up with the volume in addition to working on a solution. We are being transparent in our research, replies, and response while we continue to research this. This has included ordering parts and literal construction as we do our best to replicate possibilities as outlined in user posts here. More to come, keep your eyes posted.
I think that's why there isn't any lawsuits yet, but as you've said yourself, you're not an EE guy. You're sales and marketing. It would go a VERY long way for Growatt and Signature Solar to get a session together scheduled with your findings and to answer questions of experts that are here. Hell, I've literally designed and had power modules UL certified and there's still people in here that know more than me, but I'm still more knowledgeable than anyone that either company has put forward at this point, which is the problem.

And if the SPF-5000US is just an ES with the ground pin removed and not properly tested and certified then that's an entirely different problem.

Someone should shut you up. You are damaging your companies reputation with your rudeness and assumptions. My advice to your company is stop selling these in North America, apologize, get rid of you because all you are doing is beating a dead horse. You're not even close to as clever as you think you are. If this is your way of thinking and dealing with people maybe we should buy nothing from you for our own safety?
First off with 5k of these being sold in the U.S this issue has not shown itself. You certainly have no proof That Signature Solar or Growatt did anything malicious. I have just spoken to growatt and they just heard of this problem today, they are now looking into it. The fact that growatt just introduced there own Transformer leads me to believe this has not been a problem. The gentleman is tired of the abuse he has received on this sight and all you did was add to it

The video he posted today on YouTube describing this issue with the Growatt 5000ES. It's gone.
Really I had no idea he posted a video today. I wonder what happened, maybe SS got him to take it down.
What was the Gist of the video?

I think that's why there isn't any lawsuits yet, but as you've said yourself, you're not an EE guy. You're sales and marketing. It would go a VERY long way for Growatt and Signature Solar to get a session together scheduled with your findings and to answer questions of experts that are here. Hell, I've literally designed and had power modules UL certified and there's still people in here that know more than me, but I'm still more knowledgeable than anyone that either company has put forward at this point, which is the problem.

And if the SPF-5000US is just an ES with the ground pin removed and not properly tested and certified then that's an entirely different problem.
Did you contact growatt? I did and they just heard of this issue today and are looking into it. No one is obligated to respond on a forum with wild accusations of possibilities being made. What experts are you referring to? No one here has even tested the unit for these problem and no expert would speak to an issue without first confirmation

First off with 5k of these being sold in the U.S this issue has not shown itself. You certainly have no proof That Signature Solar or Growatt did anything malicious. I have just spoken to growatt and they just heard of this problem today, they are now looking into it. The fact that growatt just introduced there own Transformer leads me to believe this has not been a problem. The gentleman is tired of the abuse he has received on this sight and all you did was add to it
Read that carefully and tell me that that claim holds water. They literally have developed a transformer, are marketing it and selling it today, that solves a problem that they just heard about today.... ?

Either that's the world's fastest turnaround time complete with UL certification instantly, or something doesn't add up.

I have just spoken to growatt and they just heard of this problem today

Sorry man, they lied to you, Growatt was clearly aware of the issue.
1. The grounding screw is removed at Growatt for the units we sell. I can't speak for other providers but we discovered this issue at the beginning of our partnership with Growatt and it is OEM for inverters sold by SS to have this removed. This allows you to maintain your full warranty.

(https://diysolarforum.com/threads/s...-when-connected-to-american-grid.33975/page-4)

Did you contact growatt? I did and they just heard of this issue today and are looking into it. No one is obligated to respond on a forum with wild accusations of possibilities being made. What experts are you referring to? No one here has even tested the unit for these problem and no expert would speak to an issue without first confirmation
Scroll back through the tread. There are both electrical engineers and certified electricians that have for several months now being telling the world that there is a problem. And there are videos from 3 months ago showing the problem and outlining work arounds and how it doesn't solve the full issue on YouTube. A casual search will find them for you and I'm absolutely sure that this has even been brought up for months in the comments on Poz's video. This isn't new and there is no way for Growatt to have manufactured a transformer that solves a problem before they heard about said problem.

So, I'm asking, because we're getting marketing people telling us stuff that they have no knowledge of, that Growatt and Signature Solar get real EE people in here that can communicate directly with experts instead of broken telephone. Schedule a live chat somewhere if you want that outlines how to FULLY remediate the problem following the NEC and in an UL listed way. Or outline how you're going to replace the units with units that can meet those criteria.

I don't see how that is at all unreasonable.

And again, if the 5000US is just an ES with the screw removed and nothing else, these units are STILL not UL listable and STILL don't solve the problems as is not the least of which is that at 240V you have to have over 5mm of open air separation at 50 amps or an insulator according to UL regulations.

Read that carefully and tell me that that claim holds water. They literally have developed a transformer, are marketing it and selling it today, that solves a problem that they just heard about today.... ?

Either that's the world's fastest turnaround time complete with UL certification instantly, or something doesn't add up.
You have made a leap when there was no trench. Rather then allow a 3rd party to supply the part they started producing there own. Signature Solar lost money on every solar edge they sold. UL is not a legal requirement in the U.S for Sola, local zoning laws and electric companies may require it to feed the grid. Maybe you should trying to talk to people instead of looking for a away to make points.

GroWatt Auto transformer, sold by SS, was certified in Jan 2021, it is a year old already, not just introduced.

Really I had no idea he posted a video today. I wonder what happened, maybe SS got him to take it down.
What was the Gist of the video?
His video was linked to in Post #195 also. It was video describing in detail the safety concerns with the Growatt 5000ES model inverter and split phase transformer. Same thing this thread is discussing. He gave his opinion of why he wouldn't use it, doesn't recommend it. I'm anxious to hear why he took it down.

1643063788370.png

And I am suppose to believe you vs the #1 seller of inverters in the world A industrial master electrician and a master electrician with no reason to lie?
And I am suppose to believe the #1 seller of inverters in the world A industrial master electrician and a master electrician needed to be told this is a problem by people in "armchairs"?

Last edited:
And I am suppose to believe you vs the #1 seller of inverters in the world A industrial master electrician and a master electrician with no reason to lie?
signaturesolarrichard said:
1. The grounding screw is removed at Growatt for the units we sell. I can't speak for other providers but we discovered this issue at the beginning of our partnership with Growatt and it is OEM for inverters sold by SS to have this removed. This allows you to maintain your full warranty.
So is signaturesolarrichard is lying then?

Meanwhile @Will Prowse video seems to have been taken down or switched to private on YouTube? @Will Prowse you change your opinion about the issue or get threatened for bringing it up on YouTube?
Yes, just took it down a little while ago. I just talked to signature solar and there is a huge issue I noticed in the growatt marketing material. Signature solar unit is the 5000US, not the ES. Growatt did not update the manual, and signature solar called it "ES" on their product listing. Huge issue here.

Imagine if someone buys a 5000ES on ebay with a ground neutral bond, and a 5000ES from signature solar, tries to parallel them, then creates 120V on the ground of one inverter. Yikes.

If you go on the growatt united states website, it has an ES manual under the US listing. Signature solar is actually selling the US model.

In my video, I called it the European model, but the ES is actually the international model. I called it the European model because it is certified for use in EU, which I posted earlier in this thread.

I also found out that growatts from growatt america are different from growatt china, and there are people selling these on ebay. I should have mentioned that in the video.

Signature solar updated their listing to reflect these issues. I think this will help quite a lot, but I will mention in my videos specifically why I like other configurations that do not use the autotransformer.

I need to make a video calling it the international version inverter, and talk about the risks in buying these. Also, this applies to MPP. I did not mention this in the video, and I should have.

Back