diy solar

diy solar

Schneider Context MPPT 100 - Trouble

That's good news, thanks for verifying.

Then what (where) were you measuring? Was it set to DC amps?

It was set to DC amps and I was measuring the positive Pv wire going to the charge controller.

Do you see any common mode current on the PV wires? (CT around both conductors)

The good controller? If so, what was your solar output displayed by the MPPT?

This is one of the arrays hooked to the good unit. The other array had a similar result. Limited sunlight being that it was evenning, but the controller roared to life and started making power. 466watts. I did not measure the current meter, but math says it would be around 1.4amps. I am satisfied that both arrays are working as designed. The trouble lies in the charge controller and the short between Pv- and Pv+

1683853861390.png

Attachments

• 1683853852977.png
    1683853852977.png
    71.9 KB · Views: 1
This is one of the arrays hooked to the good unit. The other array had a similar result. Limited sunlight being that it was evenning, but the controller roared to life and started making power. 466watts. I did not measure the current meter, but math says it would be around 1.4amps. I am satisfied that both arrays are working as designed. The trouble lies in the charge controller and the short between Pv- and Pv+

View attachment 148821
If you have a short across the PV Plus minus input of the controller and you are only measuring milliamps of current from the PV, then you would measure short circuit current from the array which would be more than a couple of amps most likely.

Have you measured the voltage across PV plus minus input? How about the voltage coming into the PV disconnect open and closed?

Yup, something doesn't add up here.

You measured 0.19 amps, controller shows 1.4 amps on the good controller?

Like SpongeboB Sinewave says, you should see something similar to ISC on the bad controller if the sun allows. Not 0.19 amps.

Yup, something doesn't add up here.

You measured 0.19 amps, controller shows 1.4 amps on the good controller?

Like SpongeboB Sinewave says, you should see something similar to ISC on the bad controller if the sun allows. Not 0.19 amps.
Agreed, it does not add up on the surface. But it is all centered around the controller. I have proved that the arrays work as designed and all the equipment associated with them (rapid shutdown, SPDs, wiring...etc.). There is no potential between ground and any of the Pv- and Pv+ terminals, no measured path when check with an continuity meter. Something in the charge controller is clamping down on the incoming power and driving it to zero. How or why I have no idea. But what I do know is that I shouldn't measure zero ohms between Pv- and Pv+. That is the smoking gun

Agreed, it does not add up on the surface. But it is all centered around the controller. I have proved that the arrays work as designed and all the equipment associated with them (rapid shutdown, SPDs, wiring...etc.). There is no potential between ground and any of the Pv- and Pv+ terminals, no measured path when check with an continuity meter. Something in the charge controller is clamping down on the incoming power and driving it to zero. How or why I have no idea. But what I do know is that I shouldn't measure zero ohms between Pv- and Pv+. That is the smoking gun

What kind of rapid shutdown are you using ? There may be a PV input discharge resistor switched in ?

Are you sure that the RSD transmitter is sending an ON signal ? I know you say things are working normally but would like to know what normal actually means since we aren't there to look for ourselves.

I like a good troubleshooting challenge !

boB

What kind of rapid shutdown are you using ? There may be a PV input discharge resistor switched in ?

Are you sure that the RSD transmitter is sending an ON signal ? I know you say things are working normally but would like to know what normal actually means since we aren't there to look for ourselves.

I like a good troubleshooting challenge !

boB
TIGO rapid shutdown modules on each panel (I forget the model number). When in the off state each module outputs about 0.57 volts, so when the rapid shutdown is off the voltages add up on each array to equal a 4.7V off voltage. I know the transmitter works because when I turn power on to the unit all my surge protector lights come on and I measure voltage of the panels at around 330V. The arrays are not the issue, this is proven by the fact that the problem did not follow when switching charge controllers.

Signature Solar was extremely helpful, but Schneider Electric beat them to the punch. Schneider Electric said that they would send me a new controller, so I am very happy. Also, my Thanks to Daniel at tech support with Signature solar for being so helpful and quick to answer my questions/emails. The guy is all class. @SignatureSolarTech

Thanks to everyone on this thread for their ideas and suggestions. This forum is a goldmine of knowledge

This is a know bug with the eg4 bats. using the bms and SOC. Schneider Electric is going to have new firmware out in the next few days for the fix.

The fix I came up with for now is: go into the MPPT config and reset to factory. Re-setup then go into the 6848 and under battery settings turn off "SOC Control Enable" and then under grid support set "Grid Support Voltage" to 54v. When I spoke to Eric @ Schneider about this last week he told me that they are working it and will have new firmware out within days. Schneider is going to add the eg4 into the Insight BMS setup battery type for the MPPTs.

Also what is your Region Settings set to?

Hope this helps.
Neil

Last edited:
Just incase anyone is curious. The replacement MPPT controller came and worked like a champ. No issues whatsoever. I now have three installed and running for about two weeks and all is well. It's nice to be harvesting the Lord's sunlight again.

This is a know bug with the eg4 bats. using the bms and SOC. Schneider Electric is going to have new firmware out in the next few days for the fix.

The fix I came up with for now is: go into the MPPT config and reset to factory. Re-setup then go into the 6848 and under battery settings turn off "SOC Control Enable" and then under grid support set "Grid Support Voltage" to 54v. When I spoke to Eric @ Schneider about this last week he told me that they are working it and will have new firmware out within days. Schneider is going to add the eg4 into the Insight BMS setup battery type for the MPPTs.

Also what is your Region Settings set to?

Hope this helps.
Neil
Any updates on this one? Have the released the new firmware yet?

Last edited:
Firmware v1.18 is no longer listed under the firmware upgrade. I wonder if the pulled it due to issues? version 17 is the latest version that I see. Did the MPPT voltage offset work as you suspected?

https://solar.se.com/us/en/product/insighthome-and-insightfacility-edge-devices/#downloads
I was able to find and download 1.18 the other day, but every time I tried to apply it, it said it wasn't valid. Now I see it's missing. I suspect they pulled it quietly for some reason.

Firmware v1.18 is no longer listed under the firmware upgrade. I wonder if the pulled it due to issues? version 17 is the latest version that I see. Did the MPPT voltage offset work as you suspected?

https://solar.se.com/us/en/product/insighthome-and-insightfacility-edge-devices/#downloads

Im running 1.18 without issues. The only issue was the reset of all the network and Wi-Fi settings.

From observation the BMS the setup screen all it does is a one button setup of all the inverters and MPPTs to use the battery charging parameters based on the BMS data. The offset would just adjust the bulk/absorb/float values based on the maximum charge voltage obtained from the BMS.

On the XW Pro it automatically enables SOC control and sets up charging parameters. On the MPPTs it sets up charging parameters and greys them out disabling them. There is still no closed loop between the MPPTs and the battery BMS. It still doesn't adjust charging based on data from the BMS like Maximum Charge Current or if charging is permitted or not so it's still a voltage-based control for the MPPTs.

Back