diy solar

diy solar

Schneider XWPro Firmware Upgrade Version 2.04.00

ooo, so fancy.

But, I still can't get the XW to charge, so back to 1.17
1698691854498.png

Oddly, the CT3 LED never lights up and the CT data never changes from "n/a"
Never mind, the CT3 LED doesn't light up with the Insight on 1.17 but does on 1.18.
1698692000148.png
I also, just noticed the last 3 entries on the right. I DID have the grid CTs backwards. "source" is the XW, not the grid.
On the PV CT, source is the PV inverter.

HOW am I supposed to live vicariously through you, if you''re running ancient firmware! (lol as if 1.17 is "ancient"
Does the above help? lol

I'm going back to 1.17!
I still can't get 1.18 to allow the XW to charge.
Do you see anything? It's noon here, so the charge block timer should be clear.

Attachments

• Schneider Electric - HMI Application.pdf
    432.8 KB · Views: 11
Good point, I was using build 41

I'm going to give it another try today, if I get time.
Seems like it should charge, no one else has reported this issue, so it's just my set up, but I have no solid idea why it won't charge.

n2aws has a couple ideas I'm going to try when I get the chance. I'll follow up here when I get try try out 1.18 again.

Good point, I was using build 41

I'm going to give it another try today, if I get time.
Seems like it should charge, no one else has reported this issue, so it's just my set up, but I have no solid idea why it won't charge.

n2aws has a couple ideas I'm going to try when I get the chance. I'll follow up here when I get try try out 1.18 again.
Having similar issue. Can't get the system to charge off solar. Wattnode with 100a 3cts installed and 5kw enphase iq7.

Having similar issue. Can't get the system to charge off solar. Wattnode with 100a 3cts installed and 5kw enphase iq7.
My issue is just something weird in my configuration that I can't get the XW to charge at all.

Are you able to command the XW to charge at all?

On previous software versions, there was no way for the XW to automatically charge with excess AC coupled solar.

I'm commanding the XW to charge and controlling charge current with a Raspberry Pi and Node-Red.
Here's n2aws's recent write up on Node-Red.
Another member here is using a PLC to do the same.

It looks like Schneider has all the bits and pieces in place to integrate automatic AC coupled charging into the next software release, but it isn't currently supported.

My issue is just something weird in my configuration that I can't get the XW to charge at all.

Are you able to command the XW to charge at all?

On previous software versions, there was no way for the XW to automatically charge with excess AC coupled solar.

I'm commanding the XW to charge and controlling charge current with a Raspberry Pi and Node-Red.
Here's n2aws's recent write up on Node-Red.
Another member here is using a PLC to do the same.

It looks like Schneider has all the bits and pieces in place to integrate automatic AC coupled charging into the next software release, but it isn't currently supported.
Thanks, I'll give that a shot. When playing with settings I was able to get it to charge from AC1, just not the solar which is on the load side. I tried zero export settings but that seems to curtail rather than charge ...
I'm setting up homeassistant to read the Modbus registers, I'll try writing to them next. seems the SOC communication between the EG4LL batteries and the home assistant is no the most robust.

1699230635341.png

Thanks, I'll give that a shot. When playing with settings I was able to get it to charge from AC1, just not the solar which is on the load side.
Yeah, AC is AC, the XW will charge from XW no prob from AC. But as I've said before, it won't start a charge cycle or adjust the charge current based on anything related to AC coupling.
You need something external to command the charge to start and actively adjust the charge current to match excess solar.
I tried zero export settings but that seems to curtail rather than charge ...
I'm setting up homeassistant to read the Modbus registers, I'll try writing to them next. seems the SOC communication between the EG4LL batteries and the home assistant is no the most robust.
If you're already using Home Assistant, the Node-Red add in (or whatever the correct term is) is a great step. The only remaining piece of information you need is load at the grid meter. Such as a WattNode.
Then, you should be able to do the exact same thing I am doing.

Well, I think I got it figured out and have the XW charging on 1.18
If anyone has time to play with theirs on 1.18 and verify my findings, that would be appreciated.

I traced the issue to my charge block timers.
1699730991478.png
These function to block out and prevent charging during peak hours with my utility. This lets my solar production go straight to PGE for the best credits.

I thought maybe they swapped from block out timers to maybe active timer, you know, make the timers work in a more logical fashion.
Nope, I reversed the times and it still didn't work.
Put both back at 12:00 am and tada! charging functions!

I do like the updated powerflow dashboard.
1699731848291.png

They've got some scaling work to do on the battery current. My BMS reading is the green 4064 watts on the left, where the insight shows 7.5 kW! With the BMS disconnected, it was bouncing all over the place, I couldn't get a screenshot showing the 1.1 megawatts!

To get around the charge block timer that I couldn't figure out, I added that to my Node-Red control.

View attachment 177241

They've got some scaling work to do on the battery current. My BMS reading is the green 4064 watts on the left, where the insight shows 7.5 kW! With the BMS disconnected, it was bouncing all over the place, I couldn't get a screenshot showing the 1.1 megawatts!
Turns out it isn't scaling, they take the battery current/wattage from the BMS and then add in the XW charging. However, that XW charge current is already in the battery current, so that current is double counted.

Right now, the BMS shows 750 watts of charging, the Insight display shows 1 kW.
That is 500 watts from the DC solar and 250 watts of AC charging counted twice. Not sure how they came to that screw up, but the math holds up.

I just paused the EVSE.
BMS shows 3300 watts
Insite shows 6000 watts
That is the same 500 watts DC plus 2800 watts AC (counted twice)
Well that is 6,100 watts, but none of my numbers were exact. I'll just call it a rounding error.

I'm sure none of this would be present if I was using a Schneider charge controller.

Also, the Watt Node PV current sensor calibration is off.
It shows 3,900 watts

1699743028389.png

Both my energy monitor and the PV inverter agree, the actual output is more like 3,200 watts
This causes the home energy usage figure in my previous post to be inaccurate. Our normal/idle draw is about 400-600 watts
However, it's winter and I have excess energy banked with the power company and a true up coming in December, so we're running space heaters.

Turns out it isn't scaling, they take the battery current/wattage from the BMS and then add in the XW charging. However, that XW charge current is already in the battery current, so that current is double counted.

Right now, the BMS shows 750 watts of charging, the Insight display shows 1 kW.
That is 500 watts from the DC solar and 250 watts of AC charging counted twice. Not sure how they came to that screw up, but the math holds up.

I just paused the EVSE.
BMS shows 3300 watts
Insite shows 6000 watts
That is the same 500 watts DC plus 2800 watts AC (counted twice)
Well that is 6,100 watts, but none of my numbers were exact. I'll just call it a rounding error.

I'm sure none of this would be present if I was using a Schneider charge controller.
Well, turns out this was my fault. I had the BMS set to "House Bank 2"
No idea why I did that.
Switched the BMS assignment to "House Bank 1" which matches the XW's assignment.
Now the BMS wattage matches the XW.

1699761671788.png

Has anyone had time to play with the timers after updating the Insight to 1.18? I haven't.

I'm feeling challenged (after owning and successfully running an XW for 2 years and programming the features I need into Node-Red) that I can't even figure out the timers. I didn't spend any additional time on this, but the Grid Sell Block timers don't seem to work. I want to sell during peak hours with PGE, so I want to sell from 4 pm to 9 pm. I have no idea why it is set from 5-9 in this screenshot, but I had to set both timers to noon and it's selling right now at 5:27
1699925280186.png

On the plus side, they corrected the text on Fault/Alarm 49! It no longer lists a hard coded voltage of 68 volts, but it really would be nice if they indicated how "close" it was getting to HBCO

1699925019379.png

Attachments

• 1699925273851.png
    1699925273851.png
    36.4 KB · Views: 1
Has anyone had time to play with the timers after updating the Insight to 1.18? I haven't.
?‍♂️ ugh, this was my fault. Again.
I guess I assumed the clock setting held through a software update and never even thought to check it.
Turns out, it did not :rolleyes:
Here's the XW's clock when local time is 8:35 PM on 11/17
1700282206642.png
So, it says the correct time zone, but the actual time is UTC.

I programmed in the actual local time, and to absolutely no one's surprise, it works as expected.

Thanks for the reply, but maybe you missed that I said, yes:
"The Gateway can export/import its own configuration ..."

And yes, the page you attached shows where to do that.

But @400bird
What I don't see is where one can export/import the XW-Pro Inverter/Charger values. :)

From my experience 1.11.00 build 28 had some settings quirks when setting up the 2 XW-Pro's in Master/Slave mode with AC coupling.

So for that, 1.11.01bn49 worked better ... However ... When using Modbus to modulate

Devices / Configuration / Power Control Settings / EPC Maximum Charge Power

It turns out EPC Enable had to be set to Disable (very counter intuitive),
View attachment 156482
otherwise, from my recollection, it would not even charge.
Where can I find this V1.11 bn28 firmware, Is it still available?

Back