diy solar

diy solar

Sealing battery terminals

mzamaites

I built a 560AH 24v battery bank for my camper van, it weighs a good 200lbs so not looking forward to storing it somewhere warm for winter. So Ideally I leave it in the van and completely disconnect it from everything. But Wisconsin winters I notice moisture will freeze on everything it can, so I don't wanna leave my tinned copper exposed, is it possible to coat each terminal with some sort of silicone or sealant to prevent moisture build up?

How air/water tight is the van? Should be pretty dry and condensation/frost shouldn’t happen inside the van unless you leave a window open or something. I’d invest in damprid or some other silicate drying agent to help keep moisture down.

You can use this. You can get it at any auto parts store.

CRC 3175 Battery Terminal Protector, 7.5 oz Aerosol Can, Dark Red https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0013J7RAI/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_YT63Q3CYTSPVYGTAC919
O this is perfect, thank you! Is the final cured coating resistant to extreme cold temperatures?
How air/water tight is the van? Should be pretty dry and condensation/frost shouldn’t happen inside the van unless you leave a window open or something. I’d invest in damprid or some other silicate drying agent to help keep moisture down.
All the doors and windows stay shut, I drive the van once in awhile in Winter but I had a 4 pack of lifepo4 cells unwired in the cargo area last winter and noticed frost build up on the terminals. I'll definitely throw some damprid in the camper vans "garage" where the solar setup is. Thank you!

you could use dielectric gel (around terminal, not on the contact surface)

O this is perfect, thank you! Is the final cured coating resistant to extreme cold temperatures?

All the doors and windows stay shut, I drive the van once in awhile in Winter but I had a 4 pack of lifepo4 cells unwired in the cargo area last winter and noticed frost build up on the terminals. I'll definitely throw some damprid in the camper vans "garage" where the solar setup is. Thank you!

This is used on my motorhome everywhere there is a connection even on the chassis grounds which are exposed to road grim.

Back